RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Is there a problem with Jiricek's skating? Yes, he does need to work on his skating, but the logic of CBJ isn't "Hey, we put together a comprehensive plan, we're here to improve your skating." , it's "Sorry, you're a health scratch today, there's nothing for you to do, why don't you go practice skating with your coach."

They actually have Jiricek doing skating training even on game days where he's in the lineup.

Although I think re-wiring your skating is extra difficult while playing NHL games, hard to focus on form under that much pressure. AHL is a better environment.

It's like there's nothing wrong with practicing skating, but if your coach suspends an ongoing training routine and makes you practice skating alone in front of the whole team, it's usually a punishment

What makes you think he's doing it alone in front of everyone?

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
They actually have Jiricek doing skating training even on game days where he's in the lineup.

Although I think re-wiring your skating is extra difficult while playing NHL games, hard to focus on form under that much pressure. AHL is a better environment.

What makes you think he's doing it alone in front of everyone?
Their mishandling has resulted in Jiricek having few games to play in the past month. You said he was skating on game days, which proves that improving skating and playing the game are not in conflict. While CBJ's management and coach stated in the article that he was practicing skating with his coach when he wasn't playing games, but the reason for not playing games was CBJ's mishandling rather than focusing on improving skating.
In front of team is a metaphor. Like, helping him with his skating is the right thing to do, but there's no need to stop him to play games, that makes him feel frustrated and confused.

Reactions: Blueston

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Their mishandling has resulted in Jiricek having few games to play in the past month.

I think Jiricek needed to be assigned to the AHL since the start of the season, with a clearly communicated plan.

Having just a few games in a month is not the problem, however. It's a common idea here that every young player should be playing big minutes in 82+ games in the NHL. That's not true at all, especially for a young player in the physically undeveloped bambi stage like Jiricek. He's never played 82 games, and you want him to do that in the NHL? It will just wear him out and reduce his strength gains, mental gains too.

The Ducks have done it right with Leo Carlsson, giving him more days just for strength training, and he's more physically ready than Jiricek is. David's lower body and core strength is junior level. The AHL having weekdays off actually is perfect for strength training and skating training, I'm much more optimistic if Jiricek is on that plan.

You said he was skating on game days, which proves that improving skating and playing the game are not in conflict.

That's not my view. Re-read the second sentence of my post. The rewiring is easier when they're not playing NHL games.

You're trying to change the neural pathways with skating training, but most players under the pressure of NHL games will just revert to their thick pathways.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think Jiricek needed to be assigned to the AHL since the start of the season, with a clearly communicated plan.
Absolutely agree
Having just a few games in a month is not the problem
Couldn't disagree more
. It's a common idea here that every young player should be playing big minutes in 82+ games in the NHL
Couldn't disagree more.. I actually don't see anyone saying that at all.
physically undeveloped bambi stage like Jiricek

David's lower body and core strength is junior level
1706583422949.png

Bambi and Junior level is beyond ridiculous. Also...

1706583506094.png

1 inch taller and over 10 pounds heavier than the 'more physically ready Carlsson'.

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022

Having just a few games in a month is not the problem, however. It's a common idea here that every young player should be playing big minutes in 82+ games in the NHL. That's not true at all, especially for a young player in the physically undeveloped bambi stage like Jiricek. He's never played 82 games, and you want him to do that in the NHL? It will just wear him out and reduce his strength gains, mental gains too.

The Ducks have done it right with Leo Carlsson, giving him more days just for strength training, and he's more physically ready than Jiricek is. David's lower body and core strength is junior level. The AHL having weekdays off actually is perfect for strength training and skating training, I'm much more optimistic if Jiricek is on that plan.

That's not my view. Re-read the second sentence of my post. The rewiring is easier when they're not playing NHL games.

You're trying to change the neural pathways with skating training, but most players under the pressure of NHL games will just revert to their thick pathways.
I think David is fine to play in the AHL, actually he gained a lot of confidence in the last season playing in the A. But he didn't play in the AHL last month, most of time wasted on the "call-up"&"send down".

Reactions: Czechboy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Absolutely agree

Couldn't disagree more

Couldn't disagree more.. I actually don't see anyone saying that at all.

View attachment 812681

Bambi and Junior level is beyond ridiculous. Also...

View attachment 812682

1 inch taller and over 10 pounds heavier than the 'more physically ready Carlsson'.

You act like I haven't seen those measurements before. You can tell a lot more about a players core strength and lower body strength by how they move out there. David is still shaky, he falls over more. That's the bambi stage.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For the record, David has played 7 games in January. Low for a given month but given the context of the really grueling NHL season, having a month like that should be good for him.

If you have a problem with that, wait until you hear what those assholes in Anaheim did to poor Leo Carlsson. :sarcasm:

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I wish this was the swap the Flyers did (I love Drysdale). I doubt it was ever an often. But Jiricek for Cutter would have been sexy

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Sorry I´ve meant Boqvist. i´ve also seen Gudbranson for a while, Severson but not a single time Jiricek.
Gudbranson on the PP? Hmm. 🤨

To be clear, both Boqvist and Bean are better options on the PP than Jiricek is now, and Bean is a MUCH better overall player, which should say it all in where Jiricek is at as a player, and where he DESERVES to play. Severson is another guy who has his warts, but, is a MUCH better option than Jiricek at any role currently. I’m not a huge fan of how erratic Provorov is but his composure/reads and defensive play is very comparable to Jiricek at the moment. Then there is Werenski. Werenski/Severson/Boqvist are all no brainers over Jiricek on the PP.

And what’s gonna happen when Mateychuk comes in and gets all the looks and opportunities over Jiricek that he will ACTUALLY deserve??

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Gudbranson on the PP? Hmm. 🤨

To be clear, both Boqvist and Bean are better options on the PP than Jiricek is now, and Bean is a MUCH better overall player, which should say it all in where Jiricek is at as a player, and where he DESERVES to play. Severson is another guy who has his warts, but, is a MUCH better option than Jiricek at any role currently. I’m not a huge fan of how erratic Provorov is but his composure/reads and defensive play is very comparable to Jiricek at the moment. Then there is Werenski. Werenski/Severson/Boqvist are all no brainers over Jiricek on the PP.

And what’s gonna happen when Mateychuk comes in and gets all the looks and opportunities over Jiricek that he will ACTUALLY deserve??
This and sometimes people forget that the NHL is a league where young Dmen take longer to develop and all but the absolute elite need time to transition whether that be in junior,college or the AHL.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
3 apples game before and now hattrick and assist. If this guy was getting at least 3rd pair minutes im columbus, he would be 0.5 ppg easily. Much better overall package of D than Mintyukov or Nemec who are getting 20+ minutes with pp. Skating is the only advantage these two guys have over Jiricek, he is FAR from his ceiling.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
3 apples game before and now hattrick and assist. If this guy was getting at least 3rd pair minutes im columbus, he would be 0.5 ppg easily. Much better overall package of D than Mintyukov or Nemec who are getting 20+ minutes with pp. Skating is the only advantage these two guys have over Jiricek, he is FAR from his ceiling.
Well if you ignore the game inbetween where he had 0 points, didnt look great and directly caused 1 goal against. He had a rough game which happens to everyone but followed it up with a huge one which is what you hope for. While it shows it upside it also shows the consistency issues basically every young defender experiences. Who cares what other defenseman are doing right now. Im more worried about what happens at 22/23 when they start getting to their potential, this outcry over him being in the AHL is beyond stupid as its where he should have been all along

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It's important for him to have games like this last one in the AHL. Hopefully he can take that confidence and carry it into the NHL when he's recalled. When he has been in the NHL, he has looked hesitant and slow in his limited minutes. He needs to go out and play like he's one of the best players on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad