RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not saying this is right or wrong, but this is what happens when you jerk around more talented and better players in favor of guys that "work hard" and "play the right way".

He's really not better yet. He's about as good as our #6/7 guys right now. Nowhere near his prime.

I wish we followed the Seider / Edvinsson path with Jiricek. He's not going to be able to deploy his great skills at the NHL level until he gets his strength and skating up to a mature level. He's in bambi mode right now. People see his stature and his upper body strength and don't seem to notice that his lower body and core strength is junior level.

I type this a lot as an Oiler and Czech fan.. but drafting players with elite skillsets and not letting them use those skillsets is a recipe for disaster! To maximize Jiricek, you need him on the PP and getting points. That's his talent. Brent Burn's is a comparable. His weakness may be defending but only playing him at even strength and telling him to defend just means he spends the entire game playing to his weakness.

To maximize Jiricek, you need years on the squat rack and years of skating training.

His decision making in games is not an issue at all. He has great hockey sense at both ends. But he doesn't have the body or the skating to do what he wants to do at the NHL level. He cannot execute against bigger faster opponents.

I'm actually afraid that he'll adapt to the NHL level with his current substandard ability, becoming very cautious and less of a special player. I don't want him to adapt. I want him to get to his prime level and then figure it out. That would require following a path more like Simon Edvinsson. I wish David would compare himself more to Seider and Edvinsson and less to Nemec. I suspect Allan Walsh has been putting bad ideas in his ear.

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
I totally understand David's concern, and I don't think he's the only young D having such a concern in CBJ's system. CBJ has so many talented dmen, and they are young, they have to compete with each other to earn a spot. David played few games last month, monsters or blue jackets, a young player has to play games to refine his game, gain the confidence. David, you may say he's entitled, yeah, he has a chance to speak out, and the "girl's own car" compare is insane…

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Well sending him down to Cleveland is the 1st smart thing the team has done in awhile. He has some physical deficiencies to improve before he takes the next step. They screwed up by stroking his ego and then being forced to go back on it when the level of play dipped. Atleast now he'll get major minutes in all situations on a team that is actually winning hockey games
they really need to fire jarmo before he screws anything else up. sending jiricek down is fine, but sounds like they have been jerking him around much of the year. he is supposed to be one of your future foundational pieces. you should have a plan for his development and clearly explain that plan to him. and for a crappy team, that plan shouldn't be based on whether he is currently better than your 3rd pairing guys. that is loser thinking. whether that is playing in ahl or nhl is less the point than they don't seem to have any clue how to develop players or build a winning team. it's such a shame, because jackets seem to have such great fans and management continues to crap all over them.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
they really need to fire jarmo before he screws anything else up. sending jiricek down is fine, but sounds like they have been jerking him around much of the year. he is supposed to be one of your future foundational pieces. you should have a plan for his development and clearly explain that plan to him. and for a crappy team, that plan shouldn't be based on whether he is currently better than your 3rd pairing guys. that is loser thinking. whether that is playing in ahl or nhl is less the point than they don't seem to have any clue how to develop players or build a winning team. it's such a shame, because jackets seem to have such great fans and management continues to crap all over them.
Pretty much all of this. I've been following it all year and I absolutely cannot figure out what the plan is.lol

Buy a house in town
Go to Cleveland
10 minutes tonight
Healthy Scratch tomorrow
20 tonight
healthy scratch again
go back to Cleveland
Fly to Alberta to not play
back to Cleveland
you're acting like a 13 year old girl that wants a car

And I absolutely agree he needs skating work and gym work. He's far from a finished product... not even close. But he's not playing and is healthy and was just kind of somewhere in between Cleveland and Alberta last week.lol

So I'd be totally fine if he was sent to Cleveland for the whole year, given a workout and skating regimen during the week and playing heavy minutes in all situations.

I do struggle with the fact Columbus feels they have 6 guys that are better than him today though. So far out of a playoff spot, this is a great time to get him some reps in the NHL.

1706492964173.png

4 games in January... the 9th being the last one.

1706493019316.png

2 AHL games So, since January 10th...he has played 2 AHL games and today is January 28th. 2 games in 18 days. 6 games in total for a healthy 20 year old. What the f*** is Columbus doing?

I don't think he should've gone to the media though. Now people will think he's selfish. Walsh should've gone to the media though!

EDIT.. missed a game on the 19th.. so 3 AHL games in 18 days. My bad.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
2023-24 NOTES: Assigned by Columbus (NHL) to Cleveland (AHL) 1/25/24...Recalled by Columbus (NHL) from Cleveland (AHL) 1/20/24...Assigned by Columbus (NHL) to Cleveland (AHL) 1/18/24...Recalled by Columbus (NHL) from Cleveland (AHL) 11/13/23...Assigned by Columbus (NHL) to Cleveland (AHL) 11/11/23...Recalled by Columbus (NHL) from Cleveland (AHL) 10/13/23...Loaned by Columbus (NHL) to Cleveland (AHL) 10/9/23.

This seems like a great way to derail a 1st rounder.lol

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Pretty much all of this. I've been following it all year and I absolutely cannot figure out what the plan is.lol

Buy a house in town
Go to Cleveland
10 minutes tonight
Healthy Scratch tomorrow
20 tonight
healthy scratch again
go back to Cleveland
Fly to Alberta to not play
back to Cleveland
you're acting like a 13 year old girl that wants a car

And I absolutely agree he needs skating work and gym work. He's far from a finished product... not even close. But he's not playing and is healthy and was just kind of somewhere in between Cleveland and Alberta last week.lol

So I'd be totally fine if he was sent to Cleveland for the whole year, given a workout and skating regimen during the week and playing heavy minutes in all situations.

I do struggle with the fact Columbus feels they have 6 guys that are better than him today though. So far out of a playoff spot, this is a great time to get him some reps in the NHL.

View attachment 812346

4 games in January... the 9th being the last one.

View attachment 812347

2 AHL games So, since January 10th...he has played 2 AHL games and today is January 28th. 2 games in 18 days. 6 games in total for a healthy 20 year old. What the f*** is Columbus doing?

I don't think he should've gone to the media though. Now people will think he's selfish. Walsh should've gone to the media though!

EDIT.. missed a game on the 19th.. so 3 AHL games in 18 days. My bad.
Its not Jiricek vs the 6 guys in Columbus, that part bothers me more than anything in this. Its Jiricek vs his upside. I dont care if he can survive in the NHL, I want him to dominate. Hes not that guy yet

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Its not Jiricek vs the 6 guys in Columbus, that part bothers me more than anything in this. Its Jiricek vs his upside. I dont care if he can survive in the NHL, I want him to dominate. Hes not that guy yet
That is years away. D take longer. I'm totally fine with him in the AHL.

Do you feel the path above posted by me is good for getting him to that point? Do you see a plan? Young players need to play.

Reactions: Blueston

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
That is years away. D take longer. I'm totally fine with him in the AHL.

Do you feel the path above posted by me is good for getting him to that point? Do you see a plan? Young players need to play.
I also want him in the A for that reason. I agree it hasnt been the best but a lot of it is paper moves and theyve somewhat been doing what Anaheim has done with Carlsson except they arent appluauded for it. Theyve had Jiricek in Columbus working on skating. Cleveland is just up the road from Columbus so its not like they are sending him across the country each time they do it. Im not defending Jarmo but its also overblown to a degree

Reactions: Czechboy

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I also want him in the A for that reason. I agree it hasnt been the best but a lot of it is paper moves and theyve somewhat been doing what Anaheim has done with Carlsson except they arent appluauded for it. Theyve had Jiricek in Columbus working on skating. Cleveland is just up the road from Columbus so its not like they are sending him across the country each time they do it. Im not defending Jarmo but its also overblown to a degree
difference is anaheim communicated their plan to carlsson and got his buy in. columbus seems to be making it up as they go along and jiricek is confused and frustrated. the point isn't that he should be playing 18 minutes a night in columbus, it's that their extreme organizational disfunction is creating friction with one of the last guys they should be jerking around. if they wanted him in ahl they just had to tell him that and explain what they want him to work on, not tell him to get apartment in columbus and send him down soon after.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
difference is anaheim communicated their plan to carlsson and got his buy in. columbus seems to be making it up as they go along and jiricek is confused and frustrated. the point isn't that he should be playing 18 minutes a night in columbus, it's that their extreme organizational disfunction is creating friction with one of the last guys they should be jerking around. if they wanted him in ahl they just had to tell him that and explain what they want him to work on, not tell him to get apartment in columbus and send him down soon after.
Again Im not defending Jarmo but we've also seen injuries to Boqvist, Severson and Blankenburg on the right side. Plays a part in it when 1 game he's with Werenski, the next with Provorov and then all of a sudden the team is healthy and hes back out. If the team didnt have such health issues Id imagine there would be something that somewhat looks more like a plan

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Again Im not defending Jarmo but we've also seen injuries to Boqvist, Severson and Blankenburg on the right side. Plays a part in it when 1 game he's with Werenski, the next with Provorov and then all of a sudden the team is healthy and hes back out. If the team didnt have such health issues Id imagine there would be something that somewhat looks more like a plan
as mike tyson once said, everybody has a plan until they get punched in the nose. presumably jarmo thought he had a plan, but he is awful gm and this is what happens when you run such disfunctional organization. so many of their problems, including with jiricek, go back to trust and communication. it's time for owner to fire jarmo and jd before they make it even worse.

jarmo has actually drafted well and accumulated lots of nice assets. bring in someone who will steady ship and they could be really good in a few years. but i just can't see that happening without front office change.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
as mike tyson once said, everybody has a plan until they get punched in the nose. presumably jarmo thought he had a plan, but he is awful gm and this is what happens when you run such disfunctional organization. so many of their problems, including with jiricek, go back to trust and communication. it's time for owner to fire jarmo and jd before they make it even worse.

jarmo has actually drafted well and accumulated lots of nice assets. bring in someone who will steady ship and they could be really good in a few years. but i just can't see that happening without front office change.
You are preaching to the choir. Im just saying a couple bits have been overblown or knowledge on the matter has been lacking. You wont find many CBJ fans at this point who arent ready for a change. Ive said for a bit now that Jarmo is good at identifying/acquiring talent but not good at building a team overall

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

I took a look into the Jackets a little after this.lol

Elvis is pissed and wants out
Laine is on a Mental Health leave
Hired Babcock
Chinakhov is pissed off too
Bemstrom

That's a lot of guys going to the media and talking shit about management.lol

FTR... I thought they had a good looking team in preseason with a nice prospect pool.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
I took a look into the Jackets a little after this.lol

Elvis is pissed and wants out
Laine is on a Mental Health leave
Hired Babcock
Chinakhov is pissed off too
Bemstrom

That's a lot of guys going to the media and talking shit about management.lol

FTR... I thought they had a good looking team in preseason with a nice prospect pool.
Ewww....poor Fantilli.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Couple of those points are exaggerated but I wouldnt say poor Fantilli. He probably isnt happy in the moment but hes still coming up with lots of talented kids
Hopefully for him they sort things out ASAP. Stuff like this can sometimes do damage to kids trying to make a mark in their early years.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Hopefully him they sort things out ASAP. Stuff like this can sometimes do damage to kids trying to make a mark in their early years.
It would be impossible for me to worry less about Fantilli, kid has leader written all over him. Even Jiricek with what has come out today I like and Ive also said in the past I expect a letter on his jersey someday

Reactions: LesCanadiens

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
2023-24 NOTES: Assigned by Columbus (NHL) to Cleveland (AHL) 1/25/24...Recalled by Columbus (NHL) from Cleveland (AHL) 1/20/24...Assigned by Columbus (NHL) to Cleveland (AHL) 1/18/24...Recalled by Columbus (NHL) from Cleveland (AHL) 11/13/23...Assigned by Columbus (NHL) to Cleveland (AHL) 11/11/23...Recalled by Columbus (NHL) from Cleveland (AHL) 10/13/23...Loaned by Columbus (NHL) to Cleveland (AHL) 10/9/23.

This seems like a great way to derail a 1st rounder.lol
If you didn't show me the team I would say this looks like what the Habs used to do with all their prospects.

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It would be impossible for me to worry less about Fantilli, kid has leader written all over him. Even Jiricek with what has come out today I like and Ive also said in the past I expect a letter on his jersey someday
And Fantilli gets hurt in loss tonight. What an awful day for cbj. in a season that has had more than a few terrible ones, this has to be among the very worst.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
He turned 20 exactly 2 months ago

He is so damn young... Let him play in the AHL for a bit
Why so ha can watch how his peers from the same draft are getting prime minutes in their NHL teams and pp time on top of that, while he is still rotting in the AHL ? I would be pissed too lol

Jackets didn't used him at all for what he is great and now wondering why is he behind expectations lol ... Clown organization

Our currently two best prospects are in a completely shitty teams with terrible youth development strategy ... That's just amazing

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
And Fantilli gets hurt in loss tonight. What an awful day for cbj. in a season that has had more than a few terrible ones, this has to be among the very worst.

The Fantilli injury is, based on what little we know, potentially serious. It's the only one that is really bothering me. This is purely speaking for myself, we have plenty of bridge jumpers in the Jackets fanbase right now.

Laine has been dealing with some demons all year, at least since his concussion near the start of the season. He was our best player last year and this year our worst. He puts an immense burden on himself to be the best and it takes his game further off track. We need him to just make a simple pass and be a triggerman right now. This break will hopefully either give his brain enough time to heal or give him the perspective to simplify things and take them step by step. We won't miss how he's been playing so far this year.

And then Jiricek has plainly needed to be in the AHL. Not just because that's the only way to get minutes and PP time. He simply isn't that good yet and this gives him an opportunity to play an aggressive high activation game. We want him to keep that playstyle for his prime in the NHL, when he has the physique and movement to execute. Right now he can only do it in the AHL, so let's let him keep doing it there until he's ready to do it in the NHL. His complaints are annoying, but he's under contract and this is where he needs to be. Actually I think the biggest thing might be that the AHL schedule has enough time for players to do heavy weight training and have days just for skating practice. That's what he needs the most.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I can also say that when Shea Theodore was breaking in the NHL, the Ducks sent him back and forth to San Diego A LOT, there were articles about it. It happens.

As for Jiricek, I dunno why he was not playing in the AHL tho, feels like he should've if he's not playing in the NHL

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad