RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
What's the deal here, CBJ fans? He not NHL ready or is the organization just fumbling him?
Both. He needs some physical and apparently mental growth. He plays a style he doesnt have the body for just yet. He'll be a mean, aggressive, assertive defender who can create offense in waves but right now we only see that here and there. Against slower teams he can make magic and survive just on reads and aggression. Against speed hes also noticeable but for very negative reasons. Hes pretty much what most of us expected, a guy who will take time but the potential is sky high

Reactions: thebus88

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I can also say that when Shea Theodore was breaking in the NHL, the Ducks sent him back and forth to San Diego A LOT, there were articles about it. It happens.

As for Jiricek, I dunno why he was not playing in the AHL tho, feels like he should've if he's not playing in the NHL
Tough to say what these conversations have been behind closed doors and how much Walsh has his hands in this. There is a lot of his stink here. As for the games I know theyve said a few times theyve been helping him with skating. Maybe part of it was giving him some time to try and create some good habits instead of getting right back into game action and falling back to what he knows? Not honestly sure what the goal is or if there is one

Reactions: Kalv

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
Tough to say what these conversations have been behind closed doors and how much Walsh has his hands in this. There is a lot of his stink here. As for the games I know theyve said a few times theyve been helping him with skating. Maybe part of it was giving him some time to try and create some good habits instead of getting right back into game action and falling back to what he knows? Not honestly sure what the goal is or if there is one
The hockey season is only six months a year, and they have the full six months of the offseason to help his skating, rather than taking him out of the game during the season.
That's just excuse

Reactions: Czechboy

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The hockey season is only six months a year, and they have the full six months of the offseason to help his skating, rather than taking him out of the game during the season.
That's just excuse
The staff doesnt work directly with players in the offseason. They can outline things to improve but its not going to happen overnight. But reagardless, if you want to pretend its a bigger story than it is so you can believe he's available then go for it bud

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
16th in icetime for NHL rookies without a single PP minute, and playing only one game in AHL on 2nd pair this month, that´s not a great way to develop top pair defenseman that´s a great way to ruin his development and playstyle, making him average. He should´ve been asking for a trade.

Is he asking to be put in the AHL to play top minutes for his development?

Nope. He likes the NHL paycheque but wants powerplay time, despite several defensemen being better at him at this stage in his career.

He's just whining. Entitled behaviour.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Nope. He likes the NHL paycheque but wants powerplay time, despite several defensemen being better at him at this stage in his career.

Yet it's easy to see how the relationship soured with the yo-yo treatment with him over the last couple months. If they had been clear in their communication about getting him set up to dominate when he moves up, set up so he never goes back down, and then stuck with the development plan around getting him the practice, game and training time he needs while in Cleveland, this isn't an issue. This is Jarmo f***ing up with his new toy and the kid should be peeved that they're messing with his development just to have a body. That it's gotten to the point where he's making comments about where he should be playing, it illustrates the breakdown in communication and that's on the Jarmo's head.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018

Bean, Peeke, Gudbranson, Blankenburg are all worse with Provorov being good offensively, but much worse defensively than Jiricek, please do some research before correcting me ok? It is just Kekalainen signing stupid contracts and playing bums like Bean on pp. If Jiricek at least player top pair minutes in Cleveland i wouldn´t say a word.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Bean, Peeke, Gudbranson, Blankenburg are all worse with Provorov being good offensively, but much worse defensively than Jiricek, please do some research before correcting me ok? It is just Kekalainen signing stupid contracts and playing bums like Bean on pp. If Jiricek at least player top pair minutes in Cleveland i wouldn´t say a word.
You preach research and then reference Bean on the PP? What?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Sorry I´ve meant Boqvist. i´ve also seen Gudbranson for a while, Severson but not a single time Jiricek.
Boqvist is great in the role, hes not a guy Id target to make your arguement. Hes been great overall. Jiricek should have gotten a look, even on PP2 but he still has issues in his game so hes finally in the best spot for him with Cleveland. He'll be back to getting all those minutes. He can also try to keep the pace or do more without Bemstrom there as he will be an even bigger focus than a year ago

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Sorry I´ve meant Boqvist. i´ve also seen Gudbranson for a while, Severson but not a single time Jiricek.
Exactly, if they at least gave him some games with pp time and big toi in 1st pair, and he still didnt delivered, we could have the discussion if he is good enough or not yet. But since he didnt even got the chance to show off his biggest qualities, there is no discussion. Only stupid Jackets development system.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Exactly, if they at least gave him some games with pp time and big toi in 1st pair, and he still didnt delivered, we could have the discussion if he is good enough or not yet. But since he didnt even got the chance to show off his biggest qualities, there is no discussion. Only stupid Jackets development system.
Sub average icetime for defenseman and no pp/pk time. He shouldn´t even report to Cleveland where he doesn´t even get top pair minutes. Total nightmare for talented young player.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Based on his Athletic interview quotes, it doesn't sound like Jiricek has an issue with how he was being used in Cleveland - even sounds like he enjoys it there - it's that he's not getting time when he has been recalled and that he thinks he should. We aren't privy to what he's been told, but the TOI stuff for just having him around is the sort of thing a team does with their 7/8 vet tweener guy, not their bluechip prospect. I doubt anyone would have blinked an eye if this had been Bjork coming up, not playing or not playing much, being sent back and then almost immediately recalled. That's his role so it's easy to see why Jiricek would be frustrated. Hell, he's not getting the practice and prime game reps he'd be getting in the AHL and sure as shit, he knows that is where he can make the improvements.

And it does seem like the plan is not clear to him or his confidence in what has been laid out by CBUS management has flagged or else he likely wouldn't say anything. Jarmo's messed up. Jarmo needs to make this right by taking the time to sit down and explain this plan AND THEN STICK TO IT.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Based on his Athletic interview quotes, it doesn't sound like Jiricek has an issue with how he was being used in Cleveland - even sounds like he enjoys it there - it's that he's not getting time when he has been recalled and that he thinks he should. We aren't privy to what he's been told, but the TOI stuff for just having him around is the sort of thing a team does with their 7/8 vet tweener guy, not their bluechip prospect. I doubt anyone would have blinked an eye if this had been Bjork coming up, not playing or not playing much, being sent back and then almost immediately recalled. That's his role so it's easy to see why Jiricek would be frustrated. Hell, he's not getting the practice and prime game reps he'd be getting in the AHL and sure as shit, he knows that is where he can make the improvements.

And it does seem like the plan is not clear to him or his confidence in what has been laid out by CBUS management has flagged or else he likely wouldn't say anything. Jarmo's messed up. Jarmo needs to make this right by taking the time to sit down and explain this plan AND THEN STICK TO IT.
This.. he is getting minutes like Brett Kulak on the oilers.

I posted his callups and month of January earlier.. that is not how to develop a Dman. That is how to treat a veteran near the end of his careers who's job is to clean space for a guy like Jiricek.

He should get the Tyson Barrie lite treatment for now.. sheltered 3rd pair and some PP time. Still 15 a night but now he's focused on his game and developing it.

Its January that is pissing me off tbh. Sending him now to the AHL during the break is actually a great plan. Happened to Hertl. Holloway was also sent by the Oilers.

Reactions: Chainshot

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis

Just put him Cleveland and play him with Svozil and then promote that pair together when they are both ready and there is room on the roster. CBJ needs to clear some space at D at some point (Peak/Boqvist/Bean). If they move a couple out at the trade deadline there will be plenty of ice time for Jirecek down the stretch to end the season.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Just put him Cleveland and play him with Svozil and then promote that pair together when they are both ready and there is room on the roster. CBJ needs to clear some space at D at some point (Peak/Boqvist/Bean). If they move a couple out at the trade deadline there will be plenty of ice time for Jirecek down the stretch to end the season.
Totally agree here but one caveat.. explain this to him. Tell him he's going to Cleveland and that he will be back after the trade deadline to finish the season after a few d are traded.

Reactions: Blueston

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Totally agree here but one caveat.. explain this to him. Tell him he's going to Cleveland and that he will be back after the trade deadline to finish the season after a few d are traded.
Or tell him none of that and his play will dictate things. Thats just as bad as telling him to get a place because hes an NHLer now. At this point its do you want him to go play meaningful minutes and games in Columbus or just sink on a bad Columbus team and start the summer sooner

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

That's the wrong message. He needs to be in Cleveland to focus on development. It's not a depth chart issue and no one should be making room for him until he's actually ready to play his game at the NHL level.

Or tell him none of that and his play will dictate things. Thats just as bad as telling him to get a place because hes an NHLer now. At this point its do you want him to go play meaningful minutes and games in Columbus or just sink on a bad Columbus team and start the summer sooner

Maybe his play will dictate things, but I wish that wasn't part of the message either. Though maybe it's too late for that. I wish we told him from the beginning that he was on the Seider plan and that he wasn't coming up for two years.

Reactions: thebus88

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Actually I want him in Prague at the world's in the top 4 with loads of PP opportunity. Czexhs are worse than Columbus and he's easily in our top 4.lol

I get the gist of you and major... And I've repeatedly said I'm fine with him in AHL.

But, I have to ask, what does a Dman have to do with bottom pairing minutes and no special teams have to show he can do the PP?

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
The staff doesnt work directly with players in the offseason. They can outline things to improve but its not going to happen overnight. But reagardless, if you want to pretend its a bigger story than it is so you can believe he's available then go for it bud
Is there a problem with Jiricek's skating? Yes, he does need to work on his skating, but the logic of CBJ isn't "Hey, we put together a comprehensive plan, we're here to improve your skating." , it's "Sorry, you're a health scratch today, there's nothing for you to do, why don't you go practice skating with your coach."
It's like there's nothing wrong with practicing skating, but if your coach suspends an ongoing training routine and makes you practice skating alone in front of the whole team, it's usually a punishment

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad