Player Discussion (RD) Brock Faber (Certified Stud)

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Maroon is just an ugly color. I'd take Wisconsin red or North Dakota green easily over Minnesota maroon. The yellow gopher jerseys aren't bad. The only thing worse, visually speaking, than the full maroon jerseys are the chrome domes that Notre Dame has.
It can be. But Herb Brooks' Johnson Governors maroon w/white (and the iterations w/silver) are legendary. So sexy.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If he doesn’t have a significant drop off in his game, what kind of deal would you all be okay with him getting in the offseason? I do think you absolutely get him extended early & on a long-term deal. Our cap projections over the next 3 seasons don’t really make sense for a bridge deal (for either him or Rossi).

I think you start around $6M for 7/8 years. Pretty big guarantee for one year of experience & expires at a good UFA age for both parties.
Sanderson got 9.64% of the cap over 8 years after a 4 goal, 32 point season playing 22 minutes per night.

Faber is pacing 5 goals, 39 points playing almost 25 minutes per night.

9.64% of a ~$90M cap is ~$8.7M per year.

Just one comp.

I like Faber a lot, but that contract makes me pretty uncomfortable.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I worry about Faber getting run into the ground a little bit. Hopefully Spurgeon can help out and take a little pressure off of him. But then again, having Goli out there is like being down an extra defenseman, so......

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Sanderson got 9.64% of the cap over 8 years after a 4 goal, 32 point season playing 22 minutes per night.

Just one comp.

If I was in the Wild shoes, I will then try to negotiate back with certain negatives:

- Sanderson was the team's #2 dman at the time behind Chabot. The Wild have Brodin and Spurgeon, the captain so he is technically their #3 (the other side would dispute Spurgeon, but we would say Spurgeon is captain).

- There are even better comparisons like Slavin, who is signed at 7.07% cap hit ($6.36mil). Also Skeji. And like them, he didn't carry with him the draft history (other side would argue that shoud play no part in the contract TODAY, but I would just say these are just more fitting comparisons, in college bg, draft position, and playing history).

Now, hopefully, add in the perks on playing at home, his eyewear line marketing rooted in MN themes, perhaps suggestions of a captaincy track, and perhaps we might hit something in the middle. Like $7.5 for 8 years.

EDIT: If he plays levels off, best we could probably ask for is 7.5mil, if it keeps getting better to being our #1 guy, best is probably $8.0mil, and if BG gets that, its a huge win.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If I was in the Wild shoes, I will then try to negotiate back with certain negatives:

- Sanderson was the team's #2 dman at the time behind Chabot. The Wild have Brodin and Spurgeon, the captain so he is technically their #3 (the other side would dispute Spurgeon, but we would say Spurgeon is captain).

- There are even better comparisons like Slavin, who is signed at 7.07% cap hit ($6.36mil). Also Skeji. And like them, he didn't carry with him the draft history (other side would argue that shoud play no part in the contract TODAY, but I would just say these are just more fitting comparisons, in college bg, draft position, and playing history).

Now, hopefully, add in the perks on playing at home, his eyewear line marketing rooted in MN themes, perhaps suggestions of a captaincy track, and perhaps we might hit something in the middle. Like $7.5 for 8 years.

EDIT: If he plays levels off, best we could probably ask for is 7.5mil, if it keeps getting better to being our #1 guy, best is probably $8.0mil, and if BG gets that, its a huge win.
I'm obviously hoping for cheaper, but Slavin and Skjei were 5-7 years ago. There's a bit of a new reality for young defensemen getting LT deals on their post-ELC contract. Sanderson, Power, and we'll see this summer as far as Seider goes.

I'd be fine with a bridge for both he and Rossi.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Did he not play for Maple Grove high school or A bantam?

I could have sworn I recalled him bringing MGHS to state.

I'm not seeing that he played there on Elite.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Don't think he played high school hockey in Minnesota.
Unbelievable. I must have him mixed w someone else I thought I recalled him there.

Will be interesting to see where he's placed in a redraft 5 yrs out. Getting him at #45 rd2 looks well played Kings at this point.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Did he not play for Maple Grove high school or A bantam?

I could have sworn I recalled him bringing MGHS to state.

I'm not seeing that he played there on Elite.
He played for Osseo-Maple Grove in bantam, but when it came time to go to high school hockey, he jumped to the USNTDP instead. Higher level competition.

BTW - seeing that move he made today was unreal! Had he been able to finish... :amazed:

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
He played for Osseo-Maple Grove in bantam, but when it came time to go to high school hockey, he jumped to the USNTDP instead. Higher level competition.

BTW - seeing that move he made today was unreal! Had he been able to finish... :amazed:

Was he with them starting his freshman HS year?

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Elite shows just two yrs w USNDP. Then to Gophers.

He must have spent 9gd playing bantam, 10,11,12 w USNDP

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Faber and Gorg.jpg

Last edited:

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

Just one comp.

Don’t think Faber gets over 8, but even that is kinda questionable for me. Just don’t know if the offense will ever be there to make me comfortable with that.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Don’t think Faber gets over 8, but even that is kinda questionable for me. Just don’t know if the offense will ever be there to make me comfortable with that.
Shamelessly stolen from Wasted Talent on the main board, but I want this in my post history to watch again. More plays like this and he can take whatever he wants from the cap, but I don't think he will be too greedy:

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Shamelessly stolen from Wasted Talent on the main board, but I want this in my post history to watch again. More plays like this and he can take whatever he wants from the cap, but I don't think he will be too greedy:

Impressive skating but you can tell the hands don’t match the feet

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
He’s no McDavid, but the kid just successfully deked 3 Jets (including Morrissey who is a fantastic defender) and was like 6 inches awayfrom scoring on Hellebuyck (another fantastic player).

I’d say his hands are fine? Elevating the puck on your back-hand is tough.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He’s no McDavid, but the kid just successfully deked 3 Jets (including Morrissey who is a fantastic defender) and was like 6 inches awayfrom scoring on Hellebuyck (another fantastic player).

I’d say his hands are fine? Elevating the puck on your back-hand is tough.
Clearly ranked too high in our prospect rankings :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: TaLoN and Minnesota

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

That was the play I was talking about... seeing him make that move... I was just left saying "OH MY GOD!" If he would've finished it, it would have been a highlight that would be replayed for his entire career!

Hands don't match the feet, but they're closer than people give him credit for.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I think he kind of reminds of Dumba, minus the physicality. Reading redrafts (prior to this season) and they've got him should have been drafted in the 19-25 range. Guessing that will go higher by season emd. He has added an inch and 10lb(surely all muscle) since he was drafted.

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
So faber wins the Calder now obviously
Bedard-Fanboys still gonna vote Bedard even if he's going to miss several weeks. The calder trophy is the only reason why hawks fans still watching this season and the league won't let a defenseman take that away from them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad