Player Discussion (RD) Brock Faber (Certified Stud)

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Except, you did…

Receipt:

Post #57 in the Canes GDT.

Like I said, people (including myself) say dumb things all the time.

Erik Johnson is still a very reasonable comp. He’s had a great career. But yes I did say NHL brain which was dumb. I should’ve said a solid NHL brain. Which is pretty clear when he is compared to EJ instead of a Bogosian. I also admitted that I’m only just beginning to look at prospects for ‘24. Whereas you spoke with total conviction about our blueline core. I also could still be proven right about him, like I was with Faber.

Your Faber takes were scintillatingly bad. And we have pages and pages of them if you want to play that game

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Erik Johnson is still a very reasonable comp. He’s had a great career. But yes I did say NHL brain which was dumb. I should’ve said a solid NHL brain. Which is pretty clear when he is compared to EJ instead of a Bogosian. I also admitted that I’m only just beginning to look at prospects for ‘24. Whereas you spoke with total conviction about our blueline core. I also could still be proven right about him, like I was with Faber.

Your Faber takes were scintillatingly bad. And we have pages and pages of them if you want to play that game
The pages and pages are YUROV versus FABER. You wanna be "that guy" and rehash the argument, at least get the players being compared right.

I’ve already walked back my Faber stuff for everyone but Yurov. Why you can’t let it go is beyond me.

Last edited:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013

Same time frame he has 11 points in 9 games. Sacrificing defense for offense?

I think so. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he has a career high in points this year. I think the whole team is playing pond hockey right now but the PP is cooking so we are getting away it

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Same time frame he has 11 points in 9 games. Sacrificing defense for offense?

Probably a little bit, but not intentionally. Half those points are because he's on the powerplay now. The sacrificing defense is probably because he's playing both too many minutes, and in a longer season than he's ever had.

That stretch also includes some of the worst play the Wild have had. His +/- (-6) is one of the worst in that period, but not THE worst. Just checking a few guys, Zuccarello and Boldy are doing better (though still negative, and Zuccarello benefited by missing games), but Rossi's is even worse (-7). Johansson's at -12 in that time. Nobody looks good from Jan 2nd to now.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think so. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he has a career high in points this year. I think the whole team is playing pond hockey right now but the PP is cooking so we are getting away it
Probably a little bit, but not intentionally. Half those points are because he's on the powerplay now. The sacrificing defense is probably because he's playing both too many minutes, and in a longer season than he's ever had.

That stretch also includes some of the worst play the Wild have had. His +/- (-6) is one of the worst in that period, but not THE worst. Just checking a few guys, Zuccarello and Boldy are doing better (though still negative, and Zuccarello benefited by missing games), but Rossi's is even worse (-7). Johansson's at -12 in that time. Nobody looks good from Jan 2nd to now.
(Responding to both of you together)

I mean, I haven’t seen anything super egregious when it comes to his defense. It also didn’t help that Gus let in 5, 7 and then 3 in half a game recently while looking out of sync/injured.

I don’t expect a 21 year old to be perfect. The fact he looks like a legit top pairing guy this young is simply outstanding. More so than young Brodin next to Suter.

I’ll admit, I was completely wrong on my projection for him.

If he can tighten up the defense and maintain the offense, we are looking at a top 10 defender and maybe top 5. Simply mind blowing.

Reactions: BagHead

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
(Responding to both of you together)

I mean, I haven’t seen anything super egregious when it comes to his defense. It also didn’t help that Gus let in 5, 7 and then 3 in half a game recently while looking out of sync/injured.

I don’t expect a 21 year old to be perfect. The fact he looks like a legit top pairing guy this young is simply outstanding. More so than young Brodin next to Suter.

I’ll admit, I was completely wrong on my projection for him.

If he can tighten up the defense and maintain the offense, we are looking at a top 10 defender and maybe top 5. Simply mind blowing.
Wouldn't sweat being wrong on any prospect, but especially this one. I was super high on him and he's already exceeded my expectations.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Faber has cooled down in the point department. So far 0 points in the past 3 games. I think Bedard is taking home the Calder as Faber won't hit 50. Still a damn good prospect

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He and Boldy kept fanning on shots and passes last night. I wonder if someone cut a couple of inches off their sticks.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
One of Sweden's biggest newspapers got a big article about Faber. This is extremely rare, as they mostly does this kind of spotlight on Swedish players. The writer has a lot of great quotes from Bacon and the other swedes. Worth a read, just use the translate function. Still not 100%, but you can surely get the gist of it.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Marcus Johansson, another of the Swedes in the team, has the same opinion.

- He's really good at most things. Cruel on the skates, strong, good with the puck and above all a very mature hockey player already, which is very impressive, says "Moj

"Cruel on the skates" 😄

• Haha
Reactions: Sweetnut

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Brodin would know more than most what it's like to come into the NHL at a young age and play outstanding defense.
Faber:
xGA/60 is top pair level
GA/60 is third pair level

I’m not sure what to make of that. I guess horrible goaltending.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Faber:
xGA/60 is top pair level
GA/60 is third pair level

I’m not sure what to make of that. I guess horrible goaltending.

x/GA for skaters is a junk stat for me. It's a team stat and an okay way to judge goalies is all.
In xGA/60 Merrill (2.25) is better than Faber (2.29).

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
x/GA for skaters is a junk stat for me. It's a team stat and an okay way to judge goalies is all.
In xGA/60 Merrill (2.25) is better than Faber (2.29).

Not sure exactly what goes into the xAnything stats, but is part of it quality of competition? If so, could just mean Merrill is slightly better in a bottom pair role than Faber is in a top pair role.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Not sure exactly what goes into the xAnything stats, but is part of it quality of competition? If so, could just mean Merrill is slightly better in a bottom pair role than Faber is in a top pair role.

xga/xgf are just a % based off shot type/location. It's a more refined of corsi is all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad