Player Discussion (RD) Brock Faber (Certified Stud)

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Bedard-Fanboys still gonna vote Bedard even if he's going to miss several weeks. The calder trophy is the only reason why hawks fans still watching this season and the league won't let a defenseman take that away from them.
McDavid lost it when he got injured

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Faber looks better suited to the #1PP than Spurgeon, to me. I hope they keep him there when Spurgeon returns.
Russo was being snippy on Twitter to people questioning the move to put Spurgeon back on the #1 PP. I get why, but Spurgeon has basically never played #1 PP or QB’d a PP or at least not often and he’s definitely not elite.

Suter played in front of him and so did Dumba and even Addison. So, if a bottom pairing D can play #1 PP over Spurgeon idk why Faber can’t.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Russo was being snippy on Twitter to people questioning the move to put Spurgeon back on the #1 PP. I get why, but Spurgeon has basically never played #1 PP or QB’d a PP or at least not often and he’s definitely not elite.

Suter played in front of him and so did Dumba and even Addison. So, if a bottom pairing D can play #1 PP over Spurgeon idk why Faber can’t.
I agree with your overall sentiment, and I think Faber should get a longer look on the powerplay, and I know I should just leave this well enough alone, but while Addison was a bottom pairing defender, he would have been an AHL career defender if not for his abilities on the powerplay. It was his specialty, so it doesn't feel quite right when you call him a bottom pairing defender while talking about the one part of the game he excelled at. There's a big difference between Addison on the powerplay vs. other bottom pairing defenders like Merrill on the powerplay.

It's like this: Bucking the stereotype, my grandma was a terrible cook, dried out turkey, runny gravy, nasty. But she did excel at one thing, dinner rolls. Gordon Ramsay could cook her under the table in all situations while dribbling a soccer ball, but I'm relatively certain he could not make a better dinner roll.

Reactions: Circulartheory

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I mean the obvious reason to keep faber off the top pp qb spot is to keep his value down for his contract. If you let the kid blow up and put 50+ up he’s going to cost 10 million

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I agree with your overall sentiment, and I think Faber should get a longer look on the powerplay, and I know I should just leave this well enough alone, but while Addison was a bottom pairing defender, he would have been an AHL career defender if not for his abilities on the powerplay. It was his specialty, so it doesn't feel quite right when you call him a bottom pairing defender while talking about the one part of the game he excelled at. There's a big difference between Addison on the powerplay vs. other bottom pairing defenders like Merrill on the powerplay.

It's like this: Bucking the stereotype, my grandma was a terrible cook, dried out turkey, runny gravy, nasty. But she did excel at one thing, dinner rolls. Gordon Ramsay could cook her under the table in all situations while dribbling a soccer ball, but I'm relatively certain he could not make a better dinner roll.
So, avoid G'Ma's Thanksgiving and/or Christmas invites?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Lurked over to the Kings board... there is a big section that are apocalyptic about the Faber trade given what he's doing.

They are stat watching him like a hawk, and constantly talking about how he's doing better than Doughty as a rookie(while acknowledging the age difference).

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Lurked over to the Kings board... there is a big section that are apocalyptic about the Faber trade given what he's doing.

They are stat watching him like a hawk, and constantly talking about how he's doing better than Doughty as a rookie(while acknowledging the age difference).
There were a lot of hockey fans who were all over Faber as a bonafide bluechip prospect for years.

It was pretty much only on this board amongst Wild fans where there was doubt. Page 1 on this thread is full of people saying Addison, ROR, Hunt etc we’re equal or better. Even this summer we had people saying Spacek (!) had a higher ceiling

Parax

Aug 26, 2018

Pain by association. Faber + 19 for Fiala on it's own isn't really bad. Faber + Vilardi + Iafallo + 19 + whatever else was in the other trade for Fiala and PLD is horrifying.

They could have Faber + Vilardi + not PLD's contract to go with Byfield, Kaliyev, Clarke, Spence, Turcotte and any one of the good players available at 19 at the 22 draft. I'd be pretty pissed about everything the GM was doing if you're watching a team missing out on that level of what could have been just to spin their wheels getting nowhere by hanging onto the Kopitar + Doughty core glory days.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
There were a lot of hockey fans who were all over Faber as a bonafide bluechip prospect for years.

It was pretty much only on this board amongst Wild fans where there was doubt. Page 1 on this thread is full of people saying Addison, ROR, Hunt etc we’re equal or better. Even this summer we had people saying Spacek (!) had a higher ceiling
People say dumb things all the time on here that turn out to be wrong. Like Levshunov not having an NHL brain. That’s gonna age well I’m sure.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
People say dumb things all the time on here that turn out to be wrong. Like Levshunov not having an NHL brain. That’s gonna age well I’m sure.
Never said that. Simply implied he may be an Erik Johnson instead of a Pietrangelo.

I also admitted I hadn’t watched much of him yet. And that he likely is off the board well before we pick. But if that helps you feel better about your atrocious Faber takes, so be it.

Reactions: P10p

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
It's the Internet motto!

Glad he's succeeding, but I'm concerned he won't get any votes because he's more of a two-way ddefenseman.

If Bedard doesn't return anytime soon and if Faber approaches 50 points on the season (at least 45), I think the Calder becomes Faber's to lose.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Never said that. Simply implied he may be an Erik Johnson instead of a Pietrangelo.

I also admitted I hadn’t watched much of him yet. And that he likely is off the board well before we pick. But if that helps you feel better about your atrocious Faber takes, so be it.
Except, you did…

Receipt:
Erik Johnson 2.0 IMO. I dont see the NHL level brain from him.
Post #57 in the Canes GDT.

Like I said, people (including myself) say dumb things all the time.

I would also like to say that there was no one projecting Faber at a 50 point pace prior to the season. Anyone that says they were is a damn liar. 20 point guy was my projection, Spacek had the kit that I thought would be a 30-35 point guy. That’s where I saw the “higher ceiling” (even though I admitted Faber was a better player). Spacek is the RHD version of Lambos. Could be good, but needs a lot of development in the d zone.

I will also die on the hill that Yurov will be a better player. Which was my primary point.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Wild11MN and MNRube

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Except, you did…

Receipt:

Post #57 in the Canes GDT.

Like I said, people (including myself) say dumb things all the time.

I would also like to say that there was no one projecting Faber at a 50 point pace prior to the season. Anyone that says they were is a damn liar. 20 point guy was my projection, Spacek had the kit that I thought would be a 30-35 point guy. That’s where I saw the “higher ceiling” (even though I admitted Faber was a better player). Spacek is the RHD version of Lambos. Could be good, but needs a lot of development in the d zone.

I will also die on the hill that Yurov will be a better player. Which was my primary point.
Each game this expectation gets loftier, and I'd be ecstatic to see it happen at this point. Faber is already playing at the level I thought his ceiling would be. He may go straight off my chart and into orbit if he improves year after year.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad