RD Adam Boqvist - Brynas J20, Superelit (2018, 8th, CHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
He has started slower for sure (I purchased the OHL pass for London this year) but he has looked really good of late and that has been on par with Bouchard last year. He needs to maintain or build on that but you can see the obvious skillset he has.

FYI I was just busting balls on the typo.

Sarcasm is sometimes hard to detect on here. And I agree he had a solid couple of games last week. Would be great to see him build off those.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This guy has been great in the WJC. After Brannstrom, I think he’s been the next best defenseman at the tournament.

I don’t like to say it because I’m American, but there was a lot of discussion at the draft about Hughes vs. Boqvist, and we saw in that game why Boqvist is a better defenseman. There’s this idea out there that Boqvist is this wild maniac who plays no defense and makes a lot of bad decisions with the puck. That’s exactly what Hughes did. It’s the opposite of what Boqvist has done all tournament. He’s been quietly excellent.

Right before Boqvist’s game winning goal, he made a very good play on a 2-1 for the USA.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
This guy has been great in the WJC. After Brannstrom, I think he’s been the next best defenseman at the tournament.

I don’t like to say it because I’m American, but there was a lot of discussion at the draft about Hughes vs. Boqvist, and we saw in that game why Boqvist is a better defenseman. There’s this idea out there that Boqvist is this wild maniac who plays no defense and makes a lot of bad decisions with the puck. That’s exactly what Hughes did. It’s the opposite of what Boqvist has done all tournament. He’s been quietly excellent.

Right before Boqvist’s game winning goal, he made a very good play on a 2-1 for the USA.
While I do think that people tend to underrate Boqvists, you cant base it on one game alone, like your quote: "and we saw in that game why Boqvist is a better defenseman.". Boqvists have looked uninterested and sloppy in a few games as well, but hes a project, just like Hughes.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017

I think Hughes is pressing to push offense. His D partners haven't been very good at the WJ.
One thing I notice about Quinn and Jack Hughes is they may be difficult to play with. They are both dynamic skaters and their line mates/partners can get caught in between, if you know what I mean.
In Quinn's case, when he is playing at the highest level, he will have to learn to distribute the puck and not make dangerous plays trying to do more than he should.
With that said, he is far and away the most skilled D in this WJ tourney.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
While I do think that people tend to underrate Boqvists, you cant base it on one game alone, like your quote: "and we saw in that game why Boqvist is a better defenseman.". Boqvists have looked uninterested and sloppy in a few games as well, but hes a project, just like Hughes.

I am talking about their approach, which we saw in this game. They play the same way almost all games I've watched them play.

Hughes plays every game as if its an all-star game. He's going to be good in the NHL because he creates a lot of scoring chances and he's a great skater, but his style of game is going to become less and less effective as he moves up the competition ladder. He's going to give up nearly as much as he creates. NHL players skate better, hit better, defend better, think the game better and finish chances better. They'll punish mistakes that aren't punished in junior hockey.

Meanwhile, Boqvist plays a very offensive style, but he does exhibit the ability to make the boring play, if he should. He doesn't need to be the protagonist every shift.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Believed this at the time of the 2018 draft, and believe it now.
Boqvist is the 2nd best defenseman from that draft class, and it isn't close. I was beyond shocked that he made it out of the top 5 and even more shocked that Q. Hughes was taken ahead of him.
My thoughts:

2018:
Dahlin

Boqvist

Hughes

Bouchard
Dobson
Bouchard and Dobson are close. It depends on whether you like offense(Bouchard) or defense(Dobson)

What separates Boqvist and Hughes, IMO is that Boqvist is a much better defender, and the difference between Hughes and Boqvist's skating isn't much. Boqvist's hockey IQ is off the charts for an 18 year old as well.

Last edited:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Toews and Kane seem like good guys to the Hawks prospects(or just to Boqvist lol), Toews FaceTime'd Adam when he got drafted to welcome him & such, and Kane contacts Adam often it seems.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Toews and Kane seem like good guys to the Hawks prospects(or just to Boqvist lol), Toews FaceTime'd Adam when he got drafted to welcome him & such, and Kane contacts Adam often it seems.
The real player that is really good to the young guys is Seabrook despite all the memes about his contract he is good at being a mentor to the young guys. Boqvist was staying with him in training camp and apparently per other players he is the guy who reaches out to new players giving them advice on where to live where the good schools are etc.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
Boqvist is really an exciting talent, it will be really exciting to watch him develop alongside Quinn Hughes and see who turns out to be the more impactful player. They will both have an early opportunity to get large roles on their respective teams over the next few years and while I still think Hughes will be the better player and am also quick to admit that I could be wrong about that prediction. Hawks fans have a lot to be excited about in Boqvist, he reminds me of Morgan Reilly with better hockey sense.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Boqvist is really an exciting talent, it will be really exciting to watch him develop alongside Quinn Hughes and see who turns out to be the more impactful player. They will both have an early opportunity to get large roles on their respective teams over the next few years and while I still think Hughes will be the better player and am also quick to admit that I could be wrong about that prediction. Hawks fans have a lot to be excited about in Boqvist, he reminds me of Morgan Reilly with better hockey sense.
What I really like about what the Hawks are doing scouting wise is they're targeting young players in the draft and via trade that think the game at a high to insane level. Dylan Strome and Boqvist probably are 70-75 Hockey sense players on the 20-80 scouting scale. It doesn't really get better than that. Thinking the game at that level can overcome a lot of other deficiencies.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
What I really like about what the Hawks are doing scouting wise is they're targeting young players in the draft and via trade that think the game at a high to insane level. Dylan Strome and Boqvist probably are 70-75 Hockey sense players on the 20-80 scouting scale. It doesn't really get better than that. Thinking the game at that level can overcome a lot of other deficiencies.
What?

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
They targeted him in a trade and his hockey sense is insane. He's been producing at a 65 point pace since getting traded to the Hawks and is 21. Both Boqvist and he are special when it comes to thinking the game. I was bringing it up because it is a common theme in Hawks scouting these days.
I agree, the hawks are taking smaller risks by drafting hockey iq + production. Look at Debrincat, kurashev, wise, and nordgren. The Hawks aren't afraid to take players that have minor skating deficiencies and are sure as hell not concerned with their size. They go by hockey iq first, skating, playmaking ability, shooting, and then size last.

I think it is the best way to go and they are showing it so far.

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
Believed this at the time of the 2018 draft, and believe it now.
Boqvist is the 2nd best defenseman from that draft class, and it isn't close. I was beyond shocked that he made it out of the top 5 and even more shocked that Q. Hughes was taken ahead of him.
My thoughts:

2018:
Dahlin

Boqvist

Hughes

Bouchard
Dobson
Bouchard and Dobson are close. It depends on whether you like offense(Bouchard) or defense(Dobson)

What separates Boqvist and Hughes, IMO is that Boqvist is a much better defender, and the difference between Hughes and Boqvist's skating isn't much. Boqvist's hockey IQ is off the charts for an 18 year old as well.
He was rankedtop 5 by most scouts for a while before the draft and probably fell in rankings due to injury. I wanted the Canucks to take Hughes because I thought he'd play right away. But since he didn't, and Canucks need a RD and if I knew Boqvist would make a smooth transition to NA ice by putting up impressive OHL numbers while staying healthy. I would definitely take Boqvist over Hughes.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He was rankedtop 5 by most scouts for a while before the draft and probably fell in rankings due to injury. I wanted the Canucks to take Hughes because I thought he'd play right away. But since he didn't, and Canucks need a RD and if I knew Boqvist would make a smooth transition to NA ice by putting up impressive OHL numbers while staying healthy. I would definitely take Boqvist over Hughes.

I was a big Boqvist fan but I was fine with the Hawks taking either Hughes or Boqvist. I was/am still super pumped that we got Boqvist.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Good for Mr. Boqvist but the big knock on him before the draft was he shrinks when the games get bigger and more important so we will see how he does in the playoffs.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I’ve never seen this criticism. Where is it coming from?

I heard Craig Button say it on the radio before the draft. He really ripped into Boqvist's character in that interview. I'll try to find it for you but the TSN radio archives are difficult to navigate.

edit:

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/button-boqvist-compete-level-a-question-mark-1.1118529

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-...ame-class-as-hughes-dobson-bouchard-1.1073407

My memory was a bit off, Button's exact criticism of Boqvist was "shrinks when challenged" and has a low compete level.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad