RD Adam Boqvist - Brynas J20, Superelit (2018, 8th, CHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Boqvist was never billed as a fast skater, just a very smooth and mobile one. I think he is also extremely underdeveloped physically and with improved leg strength will give him better speed, and hopefully also help him battle in the corners and in front of the net, even if that will never be his forte and he will have to rely on his smarts defensively more than anything else.

As for the WJC debate, I would rather have Boqvist over Lundkvist, but I rather have Söderström over Boqvist.

Reactions: wetcoast and d rake

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Followed him quite a bit during his draft year because he was an option for VAN to draft that year. He’s looked quite good in my viewings this year. Should be a good one!

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT
I’ve thought Boqvist has been fantastic so far! Of course ppl advertised him for his offensive capabilities but since he has been up he is clearly taking his role seriously because he looks smart on both sides of the rink.

Last year I watched him a bunch in the WJC and tensed up a bit when he struggled in the D-zone but I honestly feel confident when he is on the ice with Keith. He is really holding his own.

he has been focusing on the foundation of the NHL game and you can slowly see the confidence and the offensive creativity. He has recently been in the PP1 as the QB and his shot causes trouble.

He is only 19 and not turning 20 till August.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Yeah, it looks like on that one play that he looked really slow, he got caught flatfooted or pinching a bit. In every game since he's looked like the well above average skater he was billed as. Boqvist had a few shifts last night where he looked like a 10 year vet in his own zone. Defending has never been an issue for him, when he focuses on it. However, right now his special offensive ability is being a bit toned down.

IMO the difference between Boqvist and Hughes right now is that Hughes can take the risks offensively that Boqvist can't at this stage of their careers because Hughes is an elite skater. If you watch Boqvist enough, he has the shot of a 40 goal forward and as he matures it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he starts leading NHL defensemen in goals on a perennial basis. He has 20-25 goal potential from the blue line.

Reactions: wetcoast

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I liked what I saw of him Saturday night. He is filling out nicely which was my worry when he is drafted. I have no doubts in my mind he is going to take his game to another level in the next year or 2. This is a player that practically went from London to the NHL with only a 15 game pit stop in the AHL as a 19 year old, give him some time. Adam has immense potential that is untapped.

Reactions: wetcoast

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Yeah, it looks like on that one play that he looked really slow, he got caught flatfooted or pinching a bit. In every game since he's looked like the well above average skater he was billed as. Boqvist had a few shifts last night where he looked like a 10 year vet in his own zone. Defending has never been an issue for him, when he focuses on it. However, right now his special offensive ability is being a bit toned down.

IMO the difference between Boqvist and Hughes right now is that Hughes can take the risks offensively that Boqvist can't at this stage of their careers because Hughes is an elite skater. If you watch Boqvist enough, he has the shot of a 40 goal forward and as he matures it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he starts leading NHL defensemen in goals on a perennial basis. He has 20-25 goal potential from the blue line.
Hughes is tied for 4th in the NHL in scoring among defensemen this season. Boqvist looks good, but Hughes looks far better and more skilled.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
That's true but largely incidental. The consensus is Hughes is likely to be a significantly better player, and for good reason.

I would not be so quick making that conclusion before seeing them get the same usage. They are basically scoring at the same rate per 60 right now (Hughes 0.05 points more).

Reactions: Mitts888

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That's true but largely incidental. The consensus is Hughes is likely to be a significantly better player, and for good reason.

That was not really the consensus. Both have really high ceilings and the talk at the draft was that Hughes was more pro ready but Boqvist had the higher ceiling. Hughes is not likely to be a significantly better player. Could he be better? Sure but if Boqvist hits his ceiling he will as good or better than Hughes.

Both will be really good NHL D.

Last edited:

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
That was not really the consensus. Both have really high ceilings and the talk at the draft was that Hughes was more pro ready but Boqvist had the higher ceiling. Hughes is not likely to be a significantly better player. Could he be better? Sure but if Boqvist hits his ceiling he will as good or better than Hughes.

Both will be really good NHL D.
I didn't say it was the consensus necessarily, I'm saying it is now. Mentioning their ceilings is a bit disingenuous when Hughes has blown away expectations and already reached his presumed ceiling at 20. If we posted a poll asking which player posters would want now going forward I think at least 75 percent would choose Hughes.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I didn't say it was the consensus necessarily, I'm saying it is now. Mentioning their ceilings is a bit disingenuous when Hughes has blown away expectations and already reached his presumed ceiling at 20. If we posted a poll asking which player posters would want now going forward I think at least 75 percent would choose Hughes.

Hughes is hitting his expectations if you ask me. I was high on him at the draft (along with Boqvist) so I expected him to perform how he has.

No one said he has hit his ceiling yet btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad