RD Aaron Ekblad (2014, 1st overall, Florida)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Figured I should bump this, as TSN has written an article and did a feature on him.

And a Youtube mirror of the video, since their clips eventually expire and these things are interesting to look back at:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He was the best defenceman in the draft. Erase all the birthdates and just judge him based on his potential and play this season, and he is ahead of every other 95 defenceman. That alone makes him worthy.

He has been though a mirad of physical and phycological tests by Hockey Canada, who are looking for reasons not to grant it.
If thats good enough for them, its good enough for me.

They could not find any, therefore, in my opinion, he is ready.

My only concern here is, was there a possibility Ekblad would've gone to a US prep school (or Jr A) and then onward to US college if the OHL didn't grant the exceptional player status?

Considering the battle over talended youngsters between US college and the CHL, I honestly wonder just how in-depth those tests truly are.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I can't get over how big he is. He's a damn moose, even at 15.

I do wonder if being THAT big for his age helps conceal some weaknesses, though. I guess he has plenty of time to iron that stuff out.

Do you mean physical weakness since he can rely on his abundance of weight compared to other players his age? Or since he's strong physically that it causes people to not see past some skill weakness?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
My only concern here is, was there a possibility Ekblad would've gone to a US prep school (or Jr A) and then onward to US college if the OHL didn't grant the exceptional player status?

Considering the battle over talended youngsters between US college and the CHL, I honestly wonder just how in-depth those tests truly are.

From what I have heard they are fairly extensive. They want to make sure the player can not only play the game at a young age but also that he has the mental strength to deal with it and the ability to give up school that early.

John McFarland was rejected because he failed some the non-physical tests.

hdtrax

I can't get over how big he is. He's a damn moose, even at 15.

I do wonder if being THAT big for his age helps conceal some weaknesses, though. I guess he has plenty of time to iron that stuff out.

Well, since he's only 15, I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to get those bad habits out of his system. Barrie under Dale Hawerchuk is a great place for development (see Scheifele's massive rise) so I have faith that Ekblad will be groomed accordingly. And he'll be first overall in 2014.

Jul 10, 2010
Well, since he's only 15, I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to get those bad habits out of his system. Barrie under Dale Hawerchuk is a great place for development (see Scheifele's massive rise) so I have faith that Ekblad will be groomed accordingly. And he'll be first overall in 2014.

2014 looks like a great year to tank. although Nathan MacKinnon is also 2014, so i wouldnt call him the surefire #1

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Awesome, thanks.

Too bad I will be moving that day and won't have cable yet :(
Hopefully it will be archived on TSN.ca like most of the other tournaments that TSN broadcasts. :crossfing

There are some interesting prospects besides Ekblad in this thing too.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009

I do believe that his father is 6'5 or 6'6', so in reality he could continue to grow without much surprise.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Do you mean physical weakness since he can rely on his abundance of weight compared to other players his age? Or since he's strong physically that it causes people to not see past some skill weakness?
When you're much bigger and stronger than your peers, you don't necessarily have to be as skillful. I guess his rookie year in the OHL will answer this question, though.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
i thought mckinnon was a late 95, making him a 2014

Aaron Ekblad is a phenomenal player. He has tremendous hockey IQ. He may not wow you like perhaps a Ryan Murphy type rush and score defensemen but he just does all the little things right. He has a huge frame for a kid that young and he can take over a game because he is so smart on the back end. Obviously being so young he still has a lot to learn. The OHL is much faster and you should expect him to struggle at the beginning but if he is able to develop in Barrie he will have a very bright future ahead of him.

Mckinnon's birthday is not late enough for 2014 but another player Nick Ritchie drafted second in this past OHL draft is 2014 eligible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad