RD Aaron Ekblad (2014, 1st overall, Florida)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amateur Hour

Jul 23, 2006
Negadelphia
Where have you read that... that's a terrible comparison.

Just out of curiosity where did you hear that? Link to the article perhaps?

Which would be wrong since he plays nothing like Bobby Orr. Completely diffrent kind of offense.

Welp, I've never seen him play, so I'll defer to you guys on this.

Anyway...

Legendary defenseman Bobby Orr, who’s an “advisor†to the Ekblad family, says, “He’s going to have his ups and downs. It’s a big step for the kid. He’s going to need support and I’m sure he’s going to get it. He has a great opportunity to do very well in this game but he’s got a long way to go.†One of the players Ekblad is compared to the most just happens to be Orr, mostly because Aaron’s very talented offensively.

http://gobardown.com/blog/?p=259 and http://thehockeywriters.com/aaron-ekblad-barries-exceptional-talent/

It might say a lot for Ekblad, the 15-year-old Barrie Colt who will be under a microscope for the next three years as the first defenceman ever granted exceptional status by the Ontario Hockey League, that he does not shy away from the similarities with Bobby Orr. A half-century ago, as every Canadian might as well have learned in history class, Orr was the blue line wunderkind. Ekblad is poised to deal with the same expectations, only in a world where word travels much faster.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey/blog/buzzing_the_net/post/Making-the-jump-5-questions-with-Aaron-Ekblad-?urn=juniorhockey-wp1125

A tremendous raw talent who has been compared to Chris Pronger, Sergei Zubov and even Bobby Orr, Ekblad appears unfazed by the pressure.

http://www.ourwindsor.ca/2011/09/aaron-ekblad-first-defenceman-named-%E2%80%98exceptional-player%E2%80%99/

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
I first met Aaron through Bobby, and I was shocked how big the kid was. Seeing him in person and speaking with him, the kid is mature beyond his years. His play on the ice is so composed and he takes over the game like its nothing. He is really something to watch and it will be interesting to see how his game progresses over the years.

Is there any possibility he gets the Heshmatpour treatment? ie, he's really 22 or something. He's just so big for his age.

Being 6'3" at 15 isn't that strange. There weren't any kids that tall when you were in 10th grade? I'd estimate there are 20+ kids who get drafted out of bantam who are listed at 6'2" or taller in the WHL draft every year. And that's not including all the kids who've grown since the heights were taken at the beginning of the season.

And while he's quite well developed physically, it's still not that unique. Nick Ritchie, who went 2nd behind him last year, is just as big as him.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
I could see it happening but hockey Canada is tough on 16 year old.
An invite for sure

I can see him getting an invite next year. Playing in the OHL will go a long ways to his WJC chances.

Being 6'3" at 15 isn't that strange. There weren't any kids that tall when you were in 10th grade? I'd estimate there are 20+ kids who get drafted out of bantam who are listed at 6'2" or taller in the WHL draft every year. And that's not including all the kids who've grown since the heights were taken at the beginning of the season.

And while he's quite well developed physically, it's still not that unique. Nick Ritchie, who went 2nd behind him last year, is just as big as him.

He's also quite big for his age. What's interesting about Ekblad, is his combination of size and skill set. Being 6'3 200+, with his mobility, hockey IQ etc. is what makes his potential so high.

As for the 20+ 6'2 or taller kids in the WHL draft. Having a quick look at last years WHL, there was 3 players listed at 6'2 in the first five rounds (too lazy to look past that). None were taller than 6'2, and 6'1 was the tallest in the first round. It's not that common for 15-year-olds to be 6'3, IMO.

I can see him getting an invite next year. Playing in the OHL will go a long ways to his WJC chances.

He's also quite big for his age. What's interesting about Ekblad, is his combination of size and skill set. Being 6'3 200+, with his mobility, hockey IQ etc. is what makes his potential so high.

As for the 20+ 6'2 or taller kids in the WHL draft. Having a quick look at last years WHL, there was 3 players listed at 6'2 in the first five rounds (too lazy to look past that). None were taller than 6'2, and 6'1 was the tallest in the first round. It's not that common for 15-year-olds to be 6'3, IMO.

http://members.shaw.ca/caldwela/drafts/2006.html

I can't find a lot of full bantam draft lists with heights but here's one for 2006 and there's 29 players who are listed at 6'2" or above as an example.

Prophet of Glennie said:
Not his height but his weight. He's 200+ lbs of muscle at 15. That's unheard of.

I agree that he's extremely well-developed for his age and certainly one of the top players in his age group in that regard but it's not unheard of. There are 5 players listed at 200+ lbs in the above bantam draft list. And like I said in my previous post, a lot of the listings might not even be up to date. And I already mentioned Nick Ritchie as an example of player who's the same size in the OHL right now at only 2 months older.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
http://members.shaw.ca/caldwela/drafts/2006.html

I can't find a lot of full bantam draft lists with heights but here's one for 2006 and there's 29 players who are listed at 6'2" or above as an example.

I agree that he's extremely well-developed for his age and certainly one of the top players in his age group in that regard but it's not unheard of. There are 5 players listed at 200+ lbs in the above bantam draft list. And like I said in my previous post, a lot of the listings might not even be up to date. And I already mentioned Nick Ritchie as an example of player who's the same size in the OHL right now at only 2 months older.

5 players out of 230 is pretty unique, which is what I was trying to say.

Trying to get this thread back on track; it'll be interesting to see how he plays come the playoffs. Barrie should win their first series (assuming they stay in 4th), IMO, unless they run into the brick wall that is Malcolm Subban.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
5 players out of 230 is pretty unique, which is what I was trying to say.

Trying to get this thread back on track; it'll be interesting to see how he plays come the playoffs. Barrie should win their first series (assuming they stay in 4th), IMO, unless they run into the brick wall that is Malcolm Subban.

Guy's been anything but a brick wall lately. How's Ekblad's play lately?

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Guy's been anything but a brick wall lately. How's Ekblad's play lately?

Had a very good rookie season in the O, didn't see a lot so someone who's seen more could comment on how he progressed throughout the year. But from what i saw he was a stud. In the playoffs too he continued to preform well. One of the 3 finalists for the CHL rookie of he year too.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Not his height but his weight. He's 200+ lbs of muscle at 15. That's unheard of.

Not to sound creepy or anything, but does anyone have a topless picture of him we could see? A muscular 200lbs at 15 sounds very far fetched. Who knows, maybe he's missing the myostatin gene or has ridiculously low levels of myostatin.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Always gonna have guys who are genetically "freaks". Knew a kid who was 6'6 in Grade 8 (So 13-14). Now he's 6'8 and he's 17. Some kids just grow early. Also, the 200lb+ of muscle, solid work out regimen and it could happen.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Not to sound creepy or anything, but does anyone have a topless picture of him we could see? A muscular 200lbs at 15 sounds very far fetched. Who knows, maybe he's missing the myostatin gene or has ridiculously low levels of myostatin.

No I don't but he if it isn't muscle what is it? It's not fat.

Like I said, it's very rare, I'm not saying it's common, but unless Ekblad has a parasite from outer space living in him that raises his weight considerably, it's safe to say it is muscle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad