RD Aaron Ekblad (2014, 1st overall, Florida)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Will definitely have Barrie games marked on my calendar when they visit both Owen Sound and Niagara. Can't wait to see this kid in person! Hopefully he doesnt let me down in junior like Tavares did...

Tavares had one of the greatest careers in OHL history and you were disappointed?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He'll be better than Pringles. =3

Also while Spezza didn't get to go through the process I don't think it's a stretch to believe if the same rules were in place that Spezza would have gotten exceptional status. He was just ridiculous as a junior, and is still one of the top players in the league.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
I'll wait to see him play as I remember when Jay Harrison played Tier two as a 14 year old and was drafted 1st overall into the O.

Just saying because I see a big for his age D man a little different then Spezza or JT who were showing exceptional offensive abilities at that age.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
with a 15 year old kid being that big, the OHL wouldnt have to worry about him just getting physically abused as the youngest player in the league.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
I'll wait to see him play as I remember when Jay Harrison played Tier two as a 14 year old and was drafted 1st overall into the O.

Just saying because I see a big for his age D man a little different then Spezza or JT who were showing exceptional offensive abilities at that age.

Funny enough, hes known as more of a puck moving offensive defenceman than a physical, aggressive one.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Your right. He was drafted a year after playing a year with the Battalion. The rule at the time was that players could play with their hometown OHL teams if they where deemed good enough by the team.
Spezza moved from Mississauga to Brampton to play the year with the Battalion, who was a strong team at the time.

Its a common mistake reported in the papers.

They were not a strong team, they were an expansion team just the same as Mississauga. They were stronger in the coaching department though, which I believe is why the Spezzas chose Brampton. Mississaugas coach said something like Spezza probably wasn't good enough to play that season. Ya, they fired him.

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009
Ekblad? Good thing the kids a monster, that's a terrible name. haha

Mustangs

Jan 13, 2008
Barrie
I can't wait to see this kid in Barrie next season. If everythign goes to plan I imagine that Barrie will limit his exposure, and playing time just like JT.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
They were not a strong team, they were an expansion team just the same as Mississauga. They were stronger in the coaching department though, which I believe is why the Spezzas chose Brampton. Mississaugas coach said something like Spezza probably wasn't good enough to play that season. Ya, they fired him.

Your Right, it was the season after Spezza that they where a strong team.

VLoo

May 11, 2007
Toronto
How can it possibly be known that its a weak draft already when the kids who will be in it are 15 years old!?

More likely to have a clearer picture of the strength of the draft class in 2 years.

College wouldn't effect draft position in the NHL Draft, they're referring to the OHL Draft, which Ekblad is now eligible for.

The Lollipop King

4th Line = all heart
Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Kids this big piss me off lol, every year in hockey when I played there was always one massive kid that you could just not move.

Pretty though to get the puck of them in the corners if they body you out. Just gotta use the old can opener tricl

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009
Kids this big piss me off lol, every year in hockey when I played there was always one massive kid that you could just not move.

Pretty though to get the puck of them in the corners if they body you out. Just gotta use the old can opener tricl

I feel ya! haha

At the age of fifteen I was 5'5"ish, about 130lbs and playing rep hockey against guys over 6 feet who could grow more facial than I can today ten years later. haha

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Your Right, it was the season after Spezza that they where a strong team.

Yes, they did exceptionally well in their 2nd and 3rd season for an expansion team. That is despite losing Spezza to the Ice Dogs who remained mediocre for a few more seasons. Raffi Torres and Rusty Klesla were a big part of that. Very impressive looking back, but it was pretty devastating when they swept my beloved Storm in their 3rd season. I have much more appreciation for Stan Butler and the Battalion now that I live in Brampton.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
I think he means when he saw Tavares live he didn't have his best games?

Tavares had the amazing point totals but every time I watched him live he was... underwhelming. One year a god awful Attack team completely shut him down in a game just by being physical in the crease. The guy has (and had) absolutely godly finishing abilities from the hashmarks in, but once the play moved past the hashmarks he was completely invisible (and this was from at least 4-5 viewings over his junior career live, not counting WJC and stuff).

For the amount of hype he got, he really disappointed me in person. Not even close to the levels that I saw from Stamkos (who was everywhere on the ice) and Kane (skill and smarts were absolutely sublime). I knew the guy was going to find success offensively at the NHL level, Ive just never been convinced that hes going to be a real franchise player because he was so 1 dimensional. Its a great dimension, but for an "exceptional player" I felt like should be more dominant in other facets of the game.

Anyhow, Ive got little doubt Ekblad will disappoint because defense is such a more involving position. These are the guys I love seeing in the OHL because there's no manipulation with the draft. He wants to play so he's likely going first and he can help turn Barrie around.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Barrie will take him 1st overall. They've already mentioned him in a press package of sorts to their season ticket holders.

When I saw him at the Silverstick in November, I thought he was the second best defenseman next to Honeybaked's Alex Smith. Point being, he certainly holds his own against the top 95's.

Its not like its a surprise anyway.

He meant is he Swedish or a Canadian with a Scandanavian last name like Lindros.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Anyhow, Ive got little doubt Ekblad will disappoint because defense is such a more involving position. These are the guys I love seeing in the OHL because there's no manipulation with the draft. He wants to play so he's likely going first and he can help turn Barrie around.

Ekblad is a great prospect, but he won't have close to the impact that Tavares had on junior. As someone else said, Tavares had one of the best recent careers in the OHL.

so what team gets him?

The Barrie Colts owns the first overall pick in the upcoming draft and are expected to draft him.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Looking forward to seeing this kid play. This is Barries first ever non playoff year. The season from hell finally pays off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad