RD Aaron Ekblad (2014, 1st overall, Florida)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
There is no comparison. He is one of only three players to get exceptional OHL status with the others being Spezza and Tavares. Enough said.

Ok well I know he is only the 2nd player to get exceptional status, but I mean how does he compare to the top players a year older than him? Will he go 1st in the draft?

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Ok well I know he is only the 2nd player to get exceptional status, but I mean how does he compare to the top players a year older than him? Will he go 1st in the draft?

I've heard it's a very weak draft and Domi looks serious about going to college. I would think he's the favourite.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
Your right. He was drafted a year after playing a year with the Battalion. The rule at the time was that players could play with their hometown OHL teams if they where deemed good enough by the team.
Spezza moved from Mississauga to Brampton to play the year with the Battalion, who was a strong team at the time.

Its a common mistake reported in the papers.

Basically the same thing though. He played a year before his real rookie season.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Kid must be real special, especially because he is a defenceman. Cant wait to see what he can do!

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
But it wasn't the current exceptional player status rule. Rico Fata played under the same rule as Spezza with the Soo as a 15 year old.

Exactly. There was no application proccess, and it was up to the individual teams.

Its a very different process now involving the OHF, the OHL and its teams have nothing to do with it now.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

Barrie will take him 1st overall. They've already mentioned him in a press package of sorts to their season ticket holders.

When I saw him at the Silverstick in November, I thought he was the second best defenseman next to Honeybaked's Alex Smith. Point being, he certainly holds his own against the top 95's.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Can anyone provide a brief scouting report? Is he more offensively or defensively inclined? Good skater for his size? Any info would be much appreciated.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
Can anyone provide a brief scouting report? Is he more offensively or defensively inclined? Good skater for his size? Any info would be much appreciated.

As you would expect, his physical gifts are vastly superior for his age group. His ability to skate and get around the ice at 6'3, 200lbs is simply something that doesn't happen often. Players his size at his age are often awkward and uncoordinated which is completely not the case with him. He is smooth and agile and has excellent lateral movement possessing the ability to dominate the game by passing or by carrying the puck.

When a player is this advanced at such a young age it is hard to find many negatives to his game, but of course any young player has to continue to improve all areas of their game. The only question you can have at this point is if he will continue to be a dominant player when his physical gifts aren't at such an advantage. In the OHL there will be players that are as big and as fast so he won't be able to just rely on his raw ability like he can against players his age.

But if you haven't seen him play then all you really need to do is think about all the recent superstars who didn't get exceptional status. I don't know if any of these guys even applied for it but when you think of the likes of Stamkos, Hall, Doughty, Duchene etc, who didn't get it or didn't apply, then its definitely pretty incredible that this kid did.

Last edited:

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
First defenseman to get exceptional status. Should be interesting at the least to see him play.

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop
I can't be the only one who thought this said Eklund at first glance. Anyways, 6'3 200 lbs is massive for a 15 year old.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Cue the "Next One" talk...

Way too early.

I'm worried this kid will get too much riding on him. He would definitely be the best '95 defencemen, but if he were a '95 birth date he would arguably not be the top pick. I think he'll still play four years in Barrie before going to the show, but his size and hockey IQ is something to watch for.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
I'm around 3 months older than this kid and i'm 5'11, 130 lbs. The best hockey player I know (Drafted to Calgary's WHL team, plays AAA Major/AJHL) is 6'1, 170 lbs. This Ekblad guy is gonna be ****ing massive.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
This kid could very well be 6-5 230 at the time of his draft. Pause for a moment to consider the ridiculousness. That's only 2 inches in height and 30 lbs. of muscle in 3 years.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
But if you haven't seen him play then all you really need to do is think about all the recent superstars who didn't get exceptional status. I don't know if any of these guys even applied for it but when you think of the likes of Stamkos, Hall, Doughty, Duchene etc, who didn't get it or didn't apply, then its definitely pretty incredible that this kid did.

For what its worth I know Logan Couture applied for exceptional status and was told no dice. Pretty sure he and his dad were pretty pissed about it too.

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
This kid could very well be 6-5 230 at the time of his draft. Pause for a moment to consider the ridiculousness. That's only 2 inches in height and 30 lbs. of muscle in 3 years.

Unless he went through puberty really early, which may very well be the case, he probably still has a lot of growing to do from 14 (turned 15 a month ago), from personal experience, being 17 now in the last 2-3 years me and 80 percent of my friends have grown at least 4 inches. I only grew 3 inches of height but I play football and rugby and I'm in the weight room a lot (not as much as him, I'm damn sure) and I've added 20 pounds since grade 9.. So basically.. In a few years:

6'6'' 245 may very well be what you're looking at for an athlete of this caliber with the resources he has at his disposal.

Or maybe he'll be the exact same.. Who knows! :laugh:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
What do these guys eat...seriously. I'm 6''0 and I feel short when I see a 15 year old that is 6"3 203 lbs.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Unless he went through puberty really early, which may very well be the case, he probably still has a lot of growing to do from 14 (turned 15 a month ago), from personal experience, being 17 now in the last 2-3 years me and 80 percent of my friends have grown at least 4 inches. I only grew 3 inches of height but I play football and rugby and I'm in the weight room a lot (not as much as him, I'm damn sure) and I've added 20 pounds since grade 9.. So basically.. In a few years:

6'6'' 245 may very well be what you're looking at for an athlete of this caliber with the resources he has at his disposal.

Or maybe he'll be the exact same.. Who knows! :laugh:

Exactly. He may grow he may not. I had a friend who was 6'4 at 13 but never grew again.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Will definitely have Barrie games marked on my calendar when they visit both Owen Sound and Niagara. Can't wait to see this kid in person! Hopefully he doesnt let me down in junior like Tavares did...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad