TSN: Ray Ferraro "Nylander isn't playing himself into a long-term contract"

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Nylander has been my favorite leaf for the last ~3.5 years. But during the last two games I've watched, both of the over time goals resulted in nylander making a bad read in the defensive zone. The other game he didn't pick up the player coming off the bench and last night he chased the wrong player. I'm sad to admit that I'm starting to doubt nylander. He has all the talent in the world but seems to lack something.

Maybe I'm just being sour though due to our recent struggles lol

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Nylander has been my favorite leaf for the last ~3.5 years. But during the last two games I've watched, both of the over time goals resulted in nylander making a bad read in the defensive zone. The other game he didn't pick up the player coming off the bench and last night he chased the wrong player. I'm sad to admit that I'm starting to doubt nylander. He has all the talent in the world but seems to lack something.

How was the OT goal on Nylander last night? He did his.job and caught up to the puck carrier, he was in position to ruin his shot quality.

Gardiner failed the make the Pee-wee level play and take away the pass for some unknown reason. That goal is 100% on Gardiner.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Draisaitl's agent preyed on the Oilers...waited until McDavid took a discount...then ramped up the asking price from $7.5 million to $8.5 million, and look where they are now. Hopefully, we sign Willy to a good contract.

They did not have to pay it. Edmonton routinely does stupid things and for doing stupid things they look stupid. Typically when you do stupid things you get poor results and that is what Edmonton is. A team of stupid managers doing stupid manager things and getting poor results as a result.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Given how OEL has played the last two years or so, I wouldn't give up Nylander for him. Sure he's in a rough spot, but he's been absolutely dreadful.
Nylander and Marner are kids and have a lot to learn. People need to realize this.
Many had them putting up 70-80 points and pulling in 7/8 million dollar contracts. They are not McDavid.
Take a step back. It's year 2. I figured too much too soon would lead to ulcers here. The same for Dermott. The same for Kapanen. These kids need experience and need time to grow.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Certainly.

Looking at players like Kucherov, Trocheck, Klingberg, that 4.5-5.5 AAV is a very sound space with precedent to justify it come negotiation time.

Those guys all play in states where you don't have to pay as much income tax. There's a reason players keep signing for cheap in the sunshine state.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Contract decisions shouldn't be made just based on results, it should be based on a projection of what he can provide going forward.

1) Nylander has shown that he has the ability to be a PPG winger, and he's shown a willingness to work on his issues.
2) Has it been consistent, and has he shown that he can keep that up this season? No.

But 1) is what we should base our contract decision on, and 2) is what potentially gives us the possibility to do it on better terms.

No...they certainly should be based off of results.

Look at buffalo with Eichel and Edmonton with Draisaitl.

Basing contracts off of hopes and dreams is how you get into this mess.

Make the players earn their contracts.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Those guys all play in states where you don't have to pay as much income tax. There's a reason players keep signing for cheap in the sunshine state.

Fair point.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If we give up Nylander for OEL, OEL instantly becomes public whipping boy number 1.
Folks around here seriously need to watch OEL a bit. He's just another HFBoards darling that gets rated far above his abilities due to playing in a futile small market where you can't do any wrong.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Ok why not say the same thing about marner? Without his weak lazy effort the score isn’t tied and (potentially) OT doesn’t exist

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Nylander will be fine. Leafs, to an extent, caught lightning in a bottle last year and took a lot of teams by surprise so Babcock let them run and gun a bit more last year, but he knows that to do well in the playoffs, you need to play a strong game all over the ice. Leafs are trying to build a cup winning team, not a good regular season team so he's trying to instill that in them now and these guys will be better for it in the long run.

Teams/Guys also go through cold streaks, and Nylander and some others are in one right now. This too shall pass.

Reactions: Menzinger

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

I think Willie's defensive decision making can be fixed. Given he has an NHL shot and more size, it might be wiser to move Marner in a deal for a #1/#2 dman.

member 262271

Beyond the obvious Matthews, who is playing themselves into a long term deal?

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
There is also possibility that neither of them will take long-term contract.

And I am almost 100% sure that if either of them is traded, we will watch them be top10 player in the league for looooong time.

Keep them, work with them, teach team and then reap the fruits of our patience, work and their talent (combined with work).

You need game-breaking guys in your system, and they have that in them. They just have to figure out, how to play in this system and how to be successful in line with their roles.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Given how OEL has played the last two years or so, I wouldn't give up Nylander for him. Sure he's in a rough spot, but he's been absolutely dreadful.
Nylander has struggled this year as well, he's battled the same inconsistencies since he's come to the organization. He has without a doubt world class talent, but man oh man some of the dog lazy play just drives me batty, holding on to the puck too long in other cases, when you and i both know he knows better then that.

I'm not interested in signing this kid long term at 6+ because he just hasn't earned it, if he agrees to bridge at 3yrs 4.5 then you keep him and hope he blossoms enough to find consistency that his game currently lacks, to become harder on the puck when he forchecks, and wins those puck battles that he now gives up way to easily.

I don't know if he has the mental strength, capability and hunger to overcome the glaring flaws he displays far too often.

besides if the Leafs want to add that "real deal" guy to the top 4 it is going to cost them one way or the other

and to be real honest here OEL would be my second choice in a premier Dman, Doughty would be the guy that could bring the leafs up to the elite contender level

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Doesn't matter if he's playing out of a long-term contract or not, the idea of trading Nylander just because he's struggling is asinine. Not sure why people think that will happen anytime soon.

He's an elite young player that was very unlucky in the first half of the season and now going through what most of the team is going through.

The worst thing you could do is sell low or just lose patience with your top players just because we have a hole on the back end.

I'd easily give him a long-term contract with a lower AAV because I'm very confident about his potential and skillset moving forward. With that said, a bridge contract works too. I don't really care.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Doesn't matter if he's playing out of a long-term contract or not, the idea of trading Nylander just because he's struggling is asinine. Not sure why people think that will happen anytime soon.

He's an elite young player that has had some very unlucky in the first half of the season and now going through what most of the team is going through.

The worst thing you could do is sell low or just lose patience with your top players just because we have a whole on the back end.

I'd easily give him a long-term contract with a lower AAV because I'm very confident about his potential and skillset moving forward. With that said, a bridge contract works too. I don't really care.

You would have a stronger case if Nylander was playing well, but the more he struggles the less "untouchable" he becomes in management's eyes and the more willing they may be to part with him..

If a significant top 4 Dman becomes available for trade (as they rarely do), and he was needed to be sacrificed it might just happen.. Same holds true for Marner as it could be an either/or situation where the organization keeps only 1 and the other is the necessary evil bait required to address their defense.

Reactions: therealkoho

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

He's an elite young player that has had some very unlucky in the first half of the season and now going through what most of the team is going through.

The worst thing you could do is sell low or just lose patience with your top players just because we have a whole on the back end.

i don't appreciate the insult, so please tone it down

For one he won't take a long term with a lower AAV, otherwise he would have signed one already, his agent wanted to use this season to get him into the 7-8m dollar territory

and two, trading him to acquire a proven premier/elite defender is not selling low, if you did a 1 for 1 for a guy who has upside but still unproven like Hanifan then it would be selling low

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad