TSN: Ray Ferraro "Nylander isn't playing himself into a long-term contract"

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Have we learned nothing from Chiarelli in Edmonton?

How does Hall for Larsson look now? These are the kinds of "Top 4 D" that are available on the market, guys that aren't difference-makers. What about the Eberle deal, where he traded an asset after a bad season and got a poor return because of it? If anything, Nylander's struggles are a blessing in disguise and we can lock him up long-term at a slightly discounted rate.

Our defensive fix may very well be coming from in house with the additions of Dermott (who already looks like he belongs) and Liljegren. Trading a 60-70 point guy for this mythical Top 4 D is extremely risky because A) any top pairing defenseman will require a massive overpayment and B) another 2nd pairing guy doesn't add as much value to our team as a dynamic forward.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Elhers only has three more points than Nylander so far this year, i don’t think he’s proven to be all that more consistent.

Regardless I do agree though a contract In the range of 6ish million is a fair deal.
It is not points only now is it. Nylander is playing with one of the top center in the league Elhers is playing on the second line. Like I said I would choose Nylander over him but at this point Elhers is a better player.

Reactions: Gabriel426

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Just to be clear I am on the keep Nylander, Marner side as you never trade players as skill as these until at least they have indicated they want to go or they are st least 25 years old. Brown and the other young players are the type you move if need be to fill a need. We need a winger or two that play with an edge who can play in top 9.

Our D is fixing its self with Dermot and Lily and more long term Neilson if he can get his feet under control. Rielly, Gardiner, Derrmot and Lily are top 4 D man with Zietsev a good match up D man and a pk minute muncher. Borgman looks like a solid bottom pair D man. You round out your D with a veteran who can play who is on the cheap and use for needed depth.

Our biggest need is a big forward who is hard to play against who can play in the top 9.

I will also say that we will make a couple of moves this year before or at tradeline that addresses short term needs in hopes of a longer playoff run. I feel we will win at least two rounds.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I feel we will win at least two rounds.
We play Boston Feb 3rd. Should be a Round 1 playoffs preview.

I am surprised to hear you are so bullish on this year's Leafs.

A swiss cheese D with a offensive punch that is lucky to get more than 2 a game.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Just to be clear I am on the keep Nylander, Marner side as you never trade players as skill as these until at least they have indicated they want to go or they are st least 25 years old. Brown and the other young players are the type you move if need be to fill a need. We need a winger or two that play with an edge who can play in top 9.

Our D is fixing its self with Dermot and Lily and more long term Neilson if he can get his feet under control. Rielly, Gardiner, Derrmot and Lily are top 4 D man with Zietsev a good match up D man and a pk minute muncher. Borgman looks like a solid bottom pair D man. You round out your D with a veteran who can play who is on the cheap and use for needed depth.

Our biggest need is a big forward who is hard to play against who can play in the top 9.

I will also say that we will make a couple of moves this year before or at tradeline that addresses short term needs in hopes of a longer playoff run. I feel we will win at least two rounds.
Grunstrom as the forward?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think our D will be fine and Dermott is really(at least sofar) the perfect fit for the group, steady, nothing flashy and physical. When Reilly and Zai come back, the D will only be better.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Have we learned nothing from Chiarelli in Edmonton?

How does Hall for Larsson look now? These are the kinds of "Top 4 D" that are available on the market, guys that aren't difference-makers. What about the Eberle deal, where he traded an asset after a bad season and got a poor return because of it? If anything, Nylander's struggles are a blessing in disguise and we can lock him up long-term at a slightly discounted rate.

Our defensive fix may very well be coming from in house with the additions of Dermott (who already looks like he belongs) and Liljegren. Trading a 60-70 point guy for this mythical Top 4 D is extremely risky because A) any top pairing defenseman will require a massive overpayment and B) another 2nd pairing guy doesn't add as much value to our team as a dynamic forward.

Did you forget that a very good player (1st/2nd line centre) was traded for what appears to be a #2 d-man just a couple of years ago?
I'd take Seth Jones over any blue liner in this entire organization other than maybe Rielly.
I'd also take Nylander and/or Marner over Johanson all day long.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Has looked dominant outside of the overtime defensive cues. On pace for 55-60 points. He will get a long term contract in the 5.5-6.25 million range. and he will be worth it. He has like 5 points less than ehlers over last 2 years. Luckily he is no where near the pastrnak range at this point. I expect him to play well for the last 33 games and get 25 plus points..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad