TSN: Ray Ferraro "Nylander isn't playing himself into a long-term contract"

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Selling a bluechip like Nylander so early in his career is what stupid management groups do. Is one thing to trade an older guy whose in general middle of his prime, but a sophomore like Nylander (or Marner for that matter) has the ability to skyrocket

I just think it’s funny, as fans we bemoan the lack of homegrown start talent for years. The team finally focuses on that, and all of a sudden we should start playing musical chairs with the young guy and start trading them away.
Some would be willing to trade Nylander when we have a 1st round pick sitting there in JVR (plus prospect in return). Added to our own picks (the price of Hamilton,Hamonic,etc) should be the first course of action.
Perhaps in the summer with that extra first you can pull in an Ellis from Nashville as they promote Fabbro (or you got Fabbro in the trade). Then you keep Willy. That's the way to start.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
E
Some would be willing to trade Nylander when we have a 1st round pick sitting there in JVR (plus prospect in return). Added to our own picks (the price of Hamilton,Hamonic,etc) should be the first course of action.
Perhaps in the summer with that extra first you can pull in an Ellis from Nashville as they promote Fabbro (or you got Fabbro in the trade). Then you keep Willy. That's the way to start.
Ellis is not a player we need he is a D man we have a lot of. Not a strong net front presence nor a stabilization D man for a partner. When he would be a #5 D man for us. Dermott projects to be better.

Last edited:
Reactions: HamiltonNHL

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The way I see it one of three things happen:
A 2 year bridge at around 4.5ish or 5
6 year at 6-6.5
8 year at around 7

I think the Leafs would get burned on a bridge deal in terms of the long term. Ideally both sides come to some sort of reasonable agreeemnt for s longer term deal.

Likely both sides are sitting back to see what his offensive totals look like by seasons end. The Previous bseason Nylander finished at a near ppg pace since the Allstar break and liekly hopes he can replicate that success

Edit: PPG not old lol

No way he gets offered anything close to 5m on a bridge deal. He will be offered 3m on a two year deal and maybe 6.0 to 6.5 on a 7 year deal and no other options. If the leafs want him to sign a long term deal the other option will not be more then his current value of 3.5m per. He is a long way from a finished product and his current value should reflect that. At 6.0 to 6.5m per you are over paying him for 2 years or so and under paying him for 3 years by a little or a lot based on his level of play around that time.

Reactions: hullsy47

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
At this rate, I doubt Willie is getting over 6mil. He will be getting 5.5mil for 8 with his current production. He will probably sign a bridge deal like Kadri in the show me contract. Then again, if he heats up now, then it will be a different story

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
At this rate, I doubt Willie is getting over 6mil. He will be getting 5.5mil for 8 with his current production. He will probably sign a bridge deal like Kadri in the show me contract. Then again, if he heats up now, then it will be a different story
agreed marner and willy .get the kadri ,connor brown treatment

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
That isn't an insult. The other poster said an idea was asinine, not that a person was asinine. You cannot insult an idea.

if you expressed an opinion and i said it was assinine, seeing as you are attached to the idea, then it would be indeed you who would be assinine. it's the way things work

if you don't like someones opinion you can refute it with logic instead of a demeaning comment and outright dismissal...it's called civility

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
Lou should definitely be trying to get this guy locked up long term for decent money. Get him signed to the same deal Ehlers signed (7 years at 6mil per) and the Leafs are laughing for years to come. Similar draft position, similar production...only problem, getting Nylander to agree. I could see him pushing for a bridge deal to prove himself.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Babcock replaced him yet again for defensive reasons late in the game just a game ago.

i was at the game last night, and his hustle level is good when it's something that might pay off for him, but his effort on the back check where the hard work comes in was spotty at best.

I'm still hopeful that he'll get his head on right, but he seems a lot like his dad, which is the reason why his dad played on 7 teams over 920 nhl games, the knock on his dad was inconsistency throughout his entire career, holding on to the puck a little too much, making lazy defensive efforts. If you've ever played with a guy who has lot's of talent but only seems to want to play when he feels like it, just doesn't make for a lot ofgood vibes in the dressing room

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Idk about you guys, but I would try to get him to accept 3 years x 4.5 million then use the dollars to sign JVR to a 5 year deal. Marleau comes off the books and we have cap space available. Risky? Yes... but we keep a major core piece in JVR IMO

That's my 2 cents.. I am a Chartered Financial Planner sometimes I look too deep into these situations through mitigating loss.

Cheers

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

He’s more proven than Elhers was when he signed his 6X7 contract.

The only way I see him getting under 6 is on a bridge deal

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Is that a successful way to pay people ?
Such a short window ? Wouldn't random chance play too much of a role ? People think Gardiner was great last playoffs.

I don't know, I think you have to look at the whole body of work but a good playoffs can add to your contract value. It's tough to pay people so much money without winning much yet.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
i was at the game last night, and his hustle level is good when it's something that might pay off for him, but his effort on the back check where the hard work comes in was spotty at best.

I'm still hopeful that he'll get his head on right, but he seems a lot like his dad, which is the reason why his dad played on 7 teams over 920 nhl games, the knock on his dad was inconsistency throughout his entire career, holding on to the puck a little too much, making lazy defensive efforts. If you've ever played with a guy who has lot's of talent but only seems to want to play when he feels like it, just doesn't make for a lot ofgood vibes in the dressing room
Well one thing we know about Babs is that it is his way or no way.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

I do not think he has proven more then Elhers at all yet. He is still not buying in defensively and his points total playing with a number one center is not as appealing as it should just yet. If it is a bridge deal it will be two years and at no more then 3.75m. The leafs are not going to pay him much on a short term contract and nor should they.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I do not think he has proven more then Elhers at all yet. He is still not buying in defensively and his points total playing with a number one center is not as appealing as it should just yet. If it is a bridge deal it will be two years and at no more then 3.75m. The leafs are not going to pay him much on a short term contract and nor should they.

At the time of Elhers signing his latest deal he only had one season of high production - Nylander will have two by the time he signs his next deal. Both guys are still figuring out how to round out their twonway game at the NHL level.

I’m hoping Nylander’s Agent and the Leafs are able to come to a reasonable compromise on a longer term deal. I don’t like bride deals for guys who have the ability to explode offensively.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I’m hoping Nylander’s Agent and the Leafs are able to come to a reasonable compromise on a longer term deal. I don’t like bride deals for guys who have the ability to explode offensively.
I'm willing to risk it early in the rebuild.
He plays with Matthews and he should be putting up bigger numbers.
If I'm the GM, I pay for results not potential.
The Oilers GM thinks otherwise.

We have cap space. I pay for:
(1) Goals
(2) Nylander doing what Babs tells him to do.

He's 0 for 2.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
At the time of Elhers signing his latest deal he only had one season of high production - Nylander will have two by the time he signs his next deal. Both guys are still figuring out how to round out their twonway game at the NHL level.

If you are going to compare compare the same things. Elhers played the whole season in the NHL in his first year and Nylander played 22 games or so. Elihers in his second season showed a great deal of Growth and Nylander is struggling to play within a system not so much for Elhers.

I say Nylander is behind at this point in their careers but do think Nylander has a much bigger upside. 6m per would be a good deal for both sides in a long term deal. Nylander is eligible for arbitration after next season and that could have an impact of his contract negotiations as well. Time will tell just what will happen but as of now he is not looking at much above 6 m per on a long while term deal unless it is 8 years term

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm willing to risk it early in the rebuild.
He plays with Matthews and he should be putting up bigger numbers.
If I'm the GM, I pay for results not potential.
The Oilers GM thinks otherwise.

We have cap space. I pay for:
(1) Goals
(2) Nylander doing what Babs tells him to do.

He's 0 for 2.

Assists matter too - especially since Nylander’s role in his line is to set up Matthews.

Contracts for young guys will always be a mix potential and proven results. Even during a sophomore where he’s struggled a bit, he’s in the top 50 for NHL scoring (ie clear first line production). That’s still well above average production for a young player.

The numbers being batted around here on a longer term deal 6-6.75mil or so are hardly unreasonable for that type of production. And odds are higher he’s going to grow offensively rather than stagnate and regress.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

If you are going to compare compare the same things. Elhers played the whole season in the NHL in his first year and Nylander played 22 games or so. Elihers in his second season showed a great deal of Growth and Nylander is struggling to play within a system not so much for Elhers.

I say Nylander is behind at this point in their careers but do think Nylander has a much bigger upside. 6m per would be a good deal for both sides in a long term deal. Nylander is eligible for arbitration after next season and that could have an impact of his contract negotiations as well. Time will tell just what will happen but as of now he is not looking at much above 6 m per on a long while term deal unless it is 8 years term

Elhers only has three more points than Nylander so far this year, i don’t think he’s proven to be all that more consistent.

Regardless I do agree though a contract In the range of 6ish million is a fair deal.

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto

I don’t agree. Ehlers was in year 2 with a platform year of 64 points when he signed.

Nylander will also be in year 2, with a better 1st year and a (probably) regressed 2nd year as a pro. If that isn’t an exact comparable to be used, I don’t know what is.

Edit: Willy also has an extra year of RFA as he’s only played 2 years so that would even things out a bit as well.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I think Nylander has been playing really well as of late. It's not showing on the scoresheet but he seems to be taking a more active part in all facets of play. One of his more memorable shifts for me, surprisingly enough, was when he saw Carrick struggling to get the puck out of the zone against the forecheck and basically supervised the transition out of the zone. I like what I see and am even more compelled to ask where the uncoachable diva rumors even came from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad