TSN: Ray Ferraro "Nylander isn't playing himself into a long-term contract"

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Contract decisions shouldn't be made just based on results, it should be based on a projection of what he can provide going forward.

1) Nylander has shown that he has the ability to be a PPG winger, and he's shown a willingness to work on his issues.
2) Has it been consistent, and has he shown that he can keep that up this season? No.

But 1) is what we should base our contract decision on, and 2) is what potentially gives us the possibility to do it on better terms.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Contract decisions shouldn't be made just based on results, it should be based on a projection of what he can provide going forward.

1) Nylander has shown that he has the ability to be a PPG winger, and he's shown a willingness to work on his issues.
2) Has it been consistent, and has he shown that he can keep that up this season? No.

But 1) is what we should base our contract decision on, and 2) is what potentially gives us the possibility to do it on better terms.

And that has to be seen as a very attractive scenario.

I think Nylander and Marner have the kind of potential to justify expectations generated from last season's performance. But their sophomore campaigns certainly provide the club with a much more advantageous position to negotiate from which in turn is going to be very good news for the club's flexibility going forward.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'll admit I didn't read
But he won't get quite the payday...... maybe a bridge deal
Some of us have suggested bridge deal for Nylander also depending on the organizations desire to switch him to center. Obviously his output at center could lead to a bigger contract. For the moment I would expect a 2year bridge. Marner will have another year to determine what range he falls in.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

I think Nylander and Marner have the kind of potential to justify expectations generated from last season's performance. But their sophomore campaigns certainly provide the club with a much more advantageous position to negotiate from which in turn is going to be very good news for the club's flexibility going forward.

It works better for Nylander, as a doubt Marner would take an extension at this point with his contract going for another year.

I think Nylander under a $6 mill AAV could be had now, unless he steps it up the rest of the season. I mean if you get him on a 6 year, $5.5 AAV that's good. And even though he may not accept it, I've push the same deal on Marner ... Because he won't sign for cheap to sign long term at this rate unless it's a reasonable value. What could help Mitch to take such a deal would be to also extend Matthews at the same time. Try to get all three together as a big event for the future of the team.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

Their lack of performance this season is 100% attributed to management's on ice game philosophy. I suppose you think it's ethical that the team is doing this to these young players on purpose, if the team can sign them cheaper?

Apparently I'm not allowed to even suggest that I know who/what you are, as those posts are getting censored (like this one surely will be), but nevertheless, my point stands.

Oh, BTW, has the Leafs FO ever considered that Toronto will be poison to any potential FA's as long as this behavior continues?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
It works better for Nylander, as a doubt Marner would take an extension at this point with his contract going for another year.

I think Nylander under a $6 mill AAV could be had now, unless he steps it up the rest of the season. I mean if you get him on a 6 year, $5.5 AAV that's good. And even though he may not accept it, I've push the same deal on Marner ... Because he won't sign for cheap to sign long term at this rate unless it's a reasonable value. What could help Mitch to take such a deal would be to also extend Matthews at the same time. Try to get all three together as a big event for the future of the team.
i feel like he'd take 5.5 for like 4-6 years. if its 7-8 years, he'd want more

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012

Certainly.

Looking at players like Kucherov, Trocheck, Klingberg, that 4.5-5.5 AAV is a very sound space with precedent to justify it come negotiation time.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Their lack of performance this season is 100% attributed to management's on ice game philosophy. I suppose you think it's ethical that the team is doing this to these young players on purpose, if the team can sign them cheaper?

Apparently I'm not allowed to even suggest that I know who/what you are, as those posts are getting censored (like this one surely will be), but nevertheless, my point stands.

Oh, BTW, has the Leafs FO ever considered that Toronto will be poison to any potential FA's as long as this behavior continues?

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams, amiright?
Christ.....

Reactions: The Magic Man

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Jet fuel can't melt steel beams, amiright?
Christ.....
Well, since you brought that up....no thanks, not playing. That said, young players aren't going to want to come to/stay here and play for stubborn Babcock.

Source: Ask any Red Wings fan.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Well, since you brought that up....no thanks, not playing. That said, young players aren't going to want to come to/stay here and play for stubborn Babcock.

Yes, fans are an awesome source of legitimate info and the coldest takes.

It's alllllll a big conspiracy, I know..

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

yet we are signing good young UFA's?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

League is full with players with unfulfilled potential, performance is not always upward linear. Some players peak in their 1st year.

I wouldn't give Nyander or Marner long term deals . They both look ineffective more than they look dangerous.

Reactions: Mork

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
He’s played himself out of getting a Draisatl contract, thankfully if u ask me.

He’s also playing himself out of getting even a Pastrnak or Ehlers size contract, but if he has a big playoffs he’s gonna get paid big regardless

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

So they implemented a game plan that affects everyone on the team to just nickel and dime a couple players come contract time?

The game plan isn't affect Matthews.

Everything is a conspiracy... nothing is true and there are multiple Infinitis. One of those things are quantifiably true,

Reactions: deepz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->