OT: Rate the last movie you watched out of 10 AKA The Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Spotlight gets a 9/10 from me. I remember when they shot some scenes down the street from me. Caused a little kerfuffle since they shot at night but they came out great and were much needed for authenticity purposes.

Great ensemble cast from Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo and Rachel McAdams down to Stanley Tucci, Billy Crudup and Len Cariou.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
Mississippi Burning - 7.5/10

I recognize the movie's shortcomings... especially in terms of historical accuracy and by changing aspects of the historical Mississippi Burning murders to fit a Hollywood narrative glorifying the FBI. That said, as a film mostly about white people, it does a really good job of confronting racism in all its forms and makes that hatred completely and utterly repulsive. It's a gritty, visceral police thriller and it is undeniably effective in that regard. Gene Hackman gives probably his best performance and Frances McDormand is star making here. Was worth the rewatch.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Mississippi Burning - 7.5/10

I recognize the movie's shortcomings... especially in terms of historical accuracy and by changing aspects of the historical Mississippi Burning murders to fit a Hollywood narrative glorifying the FBI. That said, as a film mostly about white people, it does a really good job of confronting racism in all its forms and makes that hatred seem completely and utterly repulsive. It's a gritty, visceral police thriller and it is undeniably effective in that regard. Gene Hackman gives probably his best performance and Frances McDormand is star making here. Was worth the rewatch.

One of my favorite scenes, when Hackman grabs Michael Rooker (underrated actor) by the nuts and calls him a shit-kicker.

Reactions: Banded Peak

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
One of my favorite scenes, when Hackman grabs Michael Rooker (underrated actor) by the nuts and calls him a shit-kicker.

Michael Rooker basically ruined Michael Rooker for me because of this one. I saw this movie for the first time back in junior high... and everytime I've seen him in anything since I'm reminded of this movie... it's not a big role but he was very effective in it.

That scene was particularly memorable though I will agree.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I have some friends who absolutely love The Wire. A couple years ago I tried getting into it and watched the first couple episodes and didn't get hooked. I'm debating signing up for the Crave streaming service which carries HBO stuff here in Canada and if I do I'm going to try and give The Wire another look.

Same here...The Sopranos on the other hand, i am watching it continuously for a year or two already, one episode per week or something...it's getting better every time.

Michael Imperioli (Christopher) and Steve Schirripa (Bobby Bacala) started this 'Talking Sopranos' video podcast during the quarantine times. Each podcast covers one episode and usually features a guests who was working on that particular episode, be it casting stuff, director, producer, anything.

Must see.

Reactions: BruinDust

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Eat Drink Man Woman – an early film from director Ang Lee. Very enjoyable, and worth it for the opening scene alone. 7/10.

Drunkenfish

Oct 1, 2018
The story of Ricky Oh is a 10/10. Just receive my copy. This a cheap gory kung fu movie based on a manga in the early 90's. Not for everyone but great if you like movie so bad there awesome. Some of the most outrageous movie scenes ever in this one. Enjoy!! You can probably find it on youtube.

OConnellsProtege

Nov 23, 2011
Mulholland Drive 10/10
This movie slowly crept into my top 3 of all time over the course of 18 years. I watched it for the first time in 2002, not knowing what really happened by the end but still enjoyed it. I kept going back to it over this span and gained more appreciation for it as time went on. The more you look at it, the sharper it gets.

Drunkenfish

Oct 1, 2018
Mulholland Drive 10/10
This movie slowly crept into my top 3 of all time over the course of 18 years. I watched it for the first time in 2002, not knowing what really happened by the end but still enjoyed it. I kept going back to it over this span and gained more appreciation for it as time went on. The more you look at it, the sharper it gets.
David Lynch is a genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad