Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The Holy Trinity of TV Dramas (In no particular order):
The Sopranos
The Wire
Breaking Bad

I have some friends who absolutely love The Wire. A couple years ago I tried getting into it and watched the first couple episodes and didn't get hooked. I'm debating signing up for the Crave streaming service which carries HBO stuff here in Canada and if I do I'm going to try and give The Wire another look.

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Snowpiercer. Gotta be a solid 8/10, perhaps 8.5.

i saw it several years ago and remembered the general plot, some details here and there, but there’s plenty that i forgot that made the rewatch worth the time.

a little violent in parts, a fair warning to those uncomfortable with gore. Nothing outrageous, but enough that my girlfriend bailed half way.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
On Twitter, Brian's Song is trending as the response to the question of which movie made you cry hardest.

I would add Miracle, Field of Dreams, and Hachi to the list. Although Hachi actually made me cry the hardest.

Dogs and sports get to me, apparently :laugh:

And three of the four were based on real life stories.

"The Champ" - final Scene. . . just brutal. Saw it in theatre, grown boxing men weeping.

My son and I just watched "Uncut Gems" A numerical rating could not describe how much we both disliked this movie - pyrite for sure (2.5) only for KG b-ball scenes.

IveGotToBeMe

Jul 1, 2012
RI
Vault -1,000/10...yes that's a negative...don't think I made it past the 20 minute mark...so disappointing...acting at 5th grade production level.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
"The Champ" - final Scene. . . just brutal. Saw it in theatre, grown boxing men weeping.

My son and I just watched "Uncut Gems" A numerical rating could not describe how much we both disliked this movie - pyrite for sure (2.5) only for KG b-ball scenes.

Ever see the original?

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I have some friends who absolutely love The Wire. A couple years ago I tried getting into it and watched the first couple episodes and didn't get hooked. I'm debating signing up for the Crave streaming service which carries HBO stuff here in Canada and if I do I'm going to try and give The Wire another look.
The Wire takes 5-6 episodes to really get rolling. I'm also not sure it's binge-able, it's pretty dense and some episodes need some time to digest, but its so worth the effort

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
JoJo Rabbit 7.5/10

I'm having a great run of movies of late and this keeps it going. Taika Waititi just hits my funny bone. I loved Hunt For The Wilderpeople (8/10) and What We Do In The Shadows (7/10) and I loved this. The opening sequence where he mixes Nazi parade footage with The Beatles just sets the tone but it also has its sad and sweet moments too.
Really enjoyed it.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Killer Joe - 7.5 out of 10. It's an NC-17 flick... great cast, McConnaughey gives an INTENSE performance.

Killer Joe (2012)

Whiplash - 9 out of 10. Truly an amazing movie. Subject matter might not interest the majority (the reason I held off on watching it for so long and the only reason its not 10/10) but wow. Two incredible performances from Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons. Highly highly recommend.

Whiplash (2014)

Drinking Buddies - 7/10 - Enjoyed it. Big fan of Jake Johnson.

Drinking Buddies (2013)

Last edited:

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Not a movie, but one severely underrated (IMO) TV show that I've binged hard since quarantine is Person Of Interest. Was a CBS show but now on Netflix. First season is on the slower side, but if you get through it, the rest of the show is phenomenal. Towards the end of season 4 right now, season 5 being the last one and I'm already sad about it.

9.5/10

Person Of Interest

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Parasite 7/10

Enjoyed it but I don't feel like it lived up to the hype although tbf most films that are hyped up this much rarely do.
I really liked the premise but I feel like the execution just lacked something that I can't quite put my finger on.
Worth a watch regardless.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
JoJo Rabbit 7.5/10

I'm having a great run of movies of late and this keeps it going. Taika Waititi just hits my funny bone. I loved Hunt For The Wilderpeople (8/10) and What We Do In The Shadows (7/10) and I loved this. The opening sequence where he mixes Nazi parade footage with The Beatles just sets the tone but it also has its sad and sweet moments too.
Really enjoyed it.

Taika Waititi is a genius. I've enjoyed his work for a long time and when he started getting serious attention in Hollywood I felt it was well-deserved but was also a bit concerned that it might turn him away from the quirky individuality that makes his films so great. But so far so good and his Thor film was excellent and proved he can also make magic with a big budget.

My favourite movie of his is Boy from 2010, an easy 9/10 for me and I suspect it's his most personal piece so far. If you haven't seen it then I highly recommend it.

Reactions: Mr Irish

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Taika Waititi is a genius. I've enjoyed his work for a long time and when he started getting serious attention in Hollywood I felt it was well-deserved but was also a bit concerned that it might turn him away from the quirky individuality that makes his films so great. But so far so good and his Thor film was excellent and proved he can also make magic with a big budget.

My favourite movie of his is Boy from 2010, an easy 9/10 for me and I suspect it's his most personal piece so far. If you haven't seen it then I highly recommend it.

Yeah I really enjoyed Boy aswell, much darker themes running through it compared to his later films. One of his which I haven't seen yet is Eagle Vs Shark, I also really like Jermaine Clement so I must put that on my to-watch list.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Just Mercy 10/10. Based on a true story and so very relevant right now. Saw it back in January in the theaters.

Both Michael B. Jordan and Jamie Foxx were robbed of Oscars for their performances. Brie Larson was also fantastic in her role. I highly recommend it. It is free to rent for the month of June on all platforms.

Reactions: tonino2424
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad