Rate the Bruins trade deadline

Your grade...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
B
Added speed and skill.
Added size and this time someone that uses it.
Cleared Cap space for a good off year.
Both guys have term and still controlled after that.

Shipped out a pathetic contract, a kid that may never crack the lineup here and the jaggiest of JAGs I’ve seen in decades.

We are a better team.

Couldn't have said it better.

I love this team.

Reactions: TwineTickler

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
This deadline feels similar to last year for me... I really like the deals we made, but also feel like we might not have done enough.

Last year, I loved getting Coyle and Mojo, but no RW for Krejci felt like it was all for nothing. I couldn't believe they didn't get someone for that hole. I rated the deadline as an A (for Coyle), an A (for Mojo) and an F (for the 2RW hole) for an average of a C-. Coyle and Mojo turned out to be even better than expected, but the 2nd line was a non-factor outside the first round, and a little more from that line might have made the difference.

This year, I felt like we had two needs, a RW for Krejci (again) and some size/jam in the lineup. On the surface, it looks like they tried to address both needs, but both guys come with significant question marks. Nick Ritchie in particular, could be an excellent pickup for 3LW, or he could bomb. He was a 10th overall pick, he has upside, he hits, fights, gets inside on big defensemen... exactly what we were missing, but he’s heavy and on the slow side. Kase is where things get even muddier. I liked that deal more when I thought it was, in part, to open up cap space for a bigger fish. I like that we're rid of Backes, but did that deal have to happen if we weren't going to get a player making real money? We could have bought him out this summer and saved $2m. Was saving the extra $2.5m next year worth our 1st? I would think we could have got Kase for Axel and a later pick...

In terms of Kase the player, I like him a lot. There is no question the kid is young and talented and could be a great fit with Krejci, but when someone gets injured as much as he does, you have to wonder if he can make it through a long playoff run. You have to wonder, if it's wise to depend on him for such an important role in such an important year. I expect him to fit in, I expect him to play well, and I expect to hold my breath every time he gets hit. One bump the wrong way and we're right back to where we've been for the last 5 years, looking for a #2RW. Kase has a lot of risk.

So, all in, I think I give this deadline another C-. We filled all of the holes, sort of, and I like the potential of the players we added. Would I have liked to see them get someone more proven for the top6? Yes, someone who is consistently healthy and productive would have pushed this to an A, but I'm excited to see what Kase brings and I think he could be as good as any of the bigger names if he can stay healthy.

Last edited:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Seemed real similar to last years moves.

Big sized high pick youngish professional forward and a higher end offensive talent with injury history that may have derailed output to this point.

Love that the roster is younger and more dynamic, but especially love that they cleared room for Krug and are out of the salary cap squeeze.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Was hoping for more but I like the moves. Worked out cap issues for next season so should have no problem re-signing Krug and Debrusk. But worried about that second line still. Ritchie has a lot of talent but his work ethic sucks. If he can put it together he could be a gem here.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
B minus for me. Maybe a B plus in a few weeks, lets see.

I like what they did, shed a contract respectively for both parties. Added 2 under 25 year olds that gives us speed, size, snarl and scoring. They also played on the same line that is a sneaky bonus right there.

Also did not over pay like the Isles and no one else got the 2 big guys we wanted. Bringing up Lauzon was a good move. They may also bring up Studnicka from what I read and he is willing to play wing. We did not lose any highly rated picks and made cap room for contracts.

Reactions: Strafer

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Seemed real similar to last years moves.

Big sized high pick youngish professional forward and a higher end offensive talent with injury history that may have derailed output to this point.

Love that the roster is younger and more dynamic, but especially love that they cleared room for an impact forward in the offseason and are out of the salary cap squeeze.

Fixed it for ya! ;)... but besides that bang on.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
I like that the Bruins didn’t waste any assets on rentals. Both guys they got are relatively cheap with contracts for next year and then are RFA. This sets them up very well t his summer to re-sign Debrusk, Krug and Chara. They should be just as good of a team next year as this year in terms of being a Cup contender.

Reactions: Over the volcano

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
C+ from me.

Kase/Backes unload deal was a B+
Interested to see what Kase can bring.

Heinen deal was a C.. Really thought they were moving him in a package for a LEGIT 2RW. I’m curious to see if Richie can be effective in the top 9 with Coyle. Like the toughness he will bring. And he’s having a good year stats wise for him. Also glad it was Heinen and not Bjork.

Now the pressure is on Kase to produce in the top 6.

All in all, I trust Sweeney. But I wish he’d focus more on the “making the team competitive” rather than the “not blowing up the farm” while this teams core is only getting older...

Reactions: Gargyn

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I like that the Bruins didn’t waste any assets on rentals. Both guys they got are relatively cheap with contracts for next year and then are RFA. This sets them up very well t his summer to re-sign Debrusk, Krug and Chara. They should be just as good of a team next year as this year in terms of being a Cup contender.

I think the fact we got two 23/24 year olds is pretty unusual/remarkable. How many teams traded for cap headaches? How many traded for past their prime types? We got two hungry kids. It will be interesting to see who performs better, the 30+ guys acquired at the deadline, or the under 25 crowd.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
My take-away from what’s occurred is that Sweeney and Neely don’t massively rate or overstate the team’s Cup chances this season. What I mean by that is that they think they’re a definite contender, but aren't convinced that this is their year or this is the one where they simply have to go all in or miss the boat. So Don's brought in some help, but with more than one eye on next year, making sure there is cap space free to re-sign Krug, DeBrusk, Bjork, Gryz etc. or find suitable replacements, have a play on the open market should anyone suitable be available, and keep the team’s defensive depth well and truly intact. It is incredibly hard to back-up from a long playoff run, so I do see it as a strong possibility, as some others here have speculated, that Bruins’ management see 2021 as their best chance for a final Cup push with this core. Obviously they’ll take it this year if it comes, but they’re not betting the farm on it, and this year's buying market was again quite expensive.

Yeah, it definitely didn't feel like an "all in" deadline. A good showing, but not the kind of deadline you'd expect from a GM who thinks this is our last, best shot with this core.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
So the deal was

Heinen backes first and Andersson
For
Kase and Ritchie

And

Cap space

Unfortunately it was cap space they didn't end up using. At least not this year. Do they need that $4.5 to sign their free agents? We could have bought out Backes and saved $2m. So the 1st round pick only bought us an extra $2.5m next year.

(Not being snarky, just trying to figure out if that deal makes sense now that it turns out we weren't able to use the cap space for a bigger fist, and ended up not needing it all this year.)

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
C.

I like both moves in a vaccuum, but as a whole this deadline was underwhelming.

At least Kase is a better option than Kuhlman and they got tougher. We'll see how it plays out and pray nobody in the top 9 gets injured

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
B+

They got a rigth shot RWer for Krejci finally, Backes is gone and they added some much needed size up front. Kreider and Palmieri were obvisouly never going to happen.

I think the most important thing here though is that Thornton is coming to Boston.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Back on the positive side of things, Nick Ritchie could be a very good get. 10th overall pick in 2014. True old school power forward. He was 23 when the season started and is scoring at a 16 goal, 40 point, 160 hit pace. He has averaged 31 even strength points the last two years (Palmieri averaged 33). He scored at a 35 goal, 65 point pace as a rookie in the AHL (just like Studnicka).

Power forwards are impossible to get once they pop. I wanted us to trade Heinen for Virtanen but then Jake broke out and came off the board. That could be Ritchie.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Unfortunately it was cap space they didn't end up using. At least not this year. Do they need that $4.5 to sign their free agents? We could have bought out Backes and saved $2m. So the 1st round pick only bought us an extra $2.5m next year.

(Not being snarky, just trying to figure out if that deal makes sense now that it turns out we weren't able to use the cap space for a bigger fist, and ended up not needing it all this year.)

that's the concerning part of the deadline, unused cap space and a 1st round pick for only 2.5 mill

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

Miller is coming back and they now have room to move whomever up/down without counting the pennies ,is it perfect no but they're in better shape now and next year going forward

Reactions: PlayMakers

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
B- for this season. I don't think the team is notably different from Friday to today. My hope for today's move was that it was a precursor for another deal based on additional cap case.

They certainly set themselves up for 2020-21, and I have thought that this team's window starts to close after next season. If they do right with the cap space next year, my grade will go up. I just wonder if any deals were left on the table that could have improved the team this year.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Not sure how I feel about the Bruins moves. Certainly better than nothing. I guess time will tell. Some of the more knowledgeable posters here seem to be optimistic, so I guess I’ll be optimistic too.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
B+

Cap space feels weird! Good surprise.

Btw to those saying we didn't get a veteran big D for playoffs with some nasty, isn't that Miller? He will be back.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
C+

Kase is a huge risk. Highest number of games played in a year 66. Only has 2 PP goals in 4yrs. Guys not screaming legit second liner, and we gave up a first rounder and still retained some of Backes salary. Woof. Hope I am wrong here, but this guy seems like glass. I was wrong with Mojo (though his stats were light years better) so hopefully the same here with Kase.

Ritchie does bring an element that was sorely needed with size and grit. His hockey IQ is not very good though which why it makes him a 3rd/4th liner. Again his IQ is not enough for the top two lines, where I think Heinen is a little bit more heady and could play with top players with injuries. With Kase being made of glass we could end up right back with Kuhlman as second line winger. So we never got a player that could move up if needed, and we are going to hope a providence guy is able to do this if Kase does get injured.

I think they got a tad better today, but it really depends on Kase panning out and does not get injured.

The biggest thing they got was cap relief from Backes and Heinen which is why I gave it a C+

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad