Rate the Bruins trade deadline

Your grade...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HooperDrivesTheBoat

2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
May 29, 2007
LINY
Goodrow and Skjei both went for 1st round picks.

To get Kase and dump Backes for a 1st and a RD prospect stuck behind McAvoy and Carlo is being crazy underrated around here.

I don't wish Boston beat any of the trades that were made by other teams.

The move was great, no doubt. But he signed Backes to that shitty contract years ago and used the #1 to fix the mistake. And so we have another year with a ? on the 2nd line. He should have shored up that position years ago and still, nothing solid.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
B. I love the Kase deal but am lukewarm on the Ritchie deal (just not my kind of player, hopefully he proves me wrong). A swing for the fences just straight up wasn't in the cards considering none of the big targets we were rumored to get went anywhere and you have Tampa throwing away 1sts on depth players and Pittsburgh and Washington reaching for players that are way beyond their best years like Marleau and Kovalchuk.

These deals also set the Bruins up so much better for next year cap wise, and gives the Bruins legitimate upside for this season as well. While I would have liked more of a sure thing and don't understand why you wouldn't just throw a late round pick at some kind of rental considering we have the cap space this year, I still am happy with the deadline overall.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Gave it a B

Looking at the prices today, like Barclay Goodrow for a 1st and Pageau for a 1st and 2nd, I think Sweeney pulled a rabbit out of his hat getting Kase for a 1st and essentially getting rid of Backes and his cap hit for Anderson and a 2nd. Great deal.

If Kase stays healthy he'll be a legit scoring threat.

Ritchie for Heinen was a must move. Bruins needed some more grit and strength, some muscle so to speak, as everyone in the east seemed to beef up and Sweeney countered nicely by adding Ritchie.

Last edited:

TcTap

Jan 27, 2017
Another year, another OUTSTANDING moves by Mr. Don Sweeney. I was so overjoyed when I read that black hole on 2nd line has finally been fixed by upcoming star Kase. And if one Ritchie wasnt enough we got a second one with even more ENERGY and even more PHYSICALITYYYY! We have so much depth now!!! We could take 3 Tampa bays in a row and I wouldnt care less. Who needs the perfection line, right? Kase and Ritchie are going to bring the cup home and I cant wait for playoffs! Im so excited!

rating: solid AAA+++

The magician did it again! Don Sweeney ladies and getlemen.

Reactions: Strafer

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
C+, didnt get the top 6 winger, had to move a 1st round pick, Heinen's value was probably pretty low when he was dealt.

Interested to see Richie and Kase play. Ritchie helps with size and hopefully Kase can find chemistry with Krejci and stay healthy. Backes being dealt helps the cap space.

member 96824

C+

+ got better by adding Kase.
+ did a good job getting future value(Kase, Ritchie cost controlled and young)
+ cleared cap space

- we still have 2 right wings.
- we didn’t use the cap space+LTIR space that we cleared
- opportunity cost could be huge here. This could be the last run with Chara, Rask, Krejci, Bergeron, Marchand all here.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
The guys that the Bruins needed seem to not have been available at the deadline for a price the Bruins would pay. Krieder and Palmieri would have been the obvious choice. Backes deal was needed for sure, but that was DS cleaning up his own mess and it cost the Bruins a couple of decent assets. I wanted the Bruins to upgrade Coyle's wing and they got a guy they like so all in all I give the Bruins a B-.

From a roster standpoint the Pens, Bolts, and even Canes seemed to do a better job of addressing their roster issues.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
B-

Kase has some real potential but also some concerning health risks, and his production is solid rather than spectacular. And another Ritchie. At least this is the better one. Has around the same production as Heinen with added size and physicality and less cap hit, so it’s a nice quick win for Boston. Question marks are going to be can he keep up with the fast Bruins game, ‘cause his brother couldn’t, and can he stay out of the box, ‘cause his previous penalty record will NOT be tolerated by Cassidy. I think he’ll be ok. Managing to move Backes in the way it's been done is also a good result.

Good luck to Danton in Anaheim. He had me fooled on Saturday as he really wasn’t acting or talking like a guy about to be traded, but I’m not surprised he’s gone. Strip away all the vitriol and I think in the end it’s still clear that his game in Boston had reached an impasse. He’s a competent hockey player, but he just hasn’t managed to elevate any one aspect of his skill set that would turn him into a really good one. Perhaps he’ll find that something extra with the Ducks.

I think the Bruins have a slightly stronger roster than they did a week ago. Kase and Ritchie are solid adds that should help a little with both scoring and physical presence, while giving up little in return. But they’re not significant difference-makers in terms of our Cup chances for this year. Secondary scoring and the need to take some of the load off the top line still feel like they’re going to be issues. We’ll see. IMO Tampa and Pittsburgh have traded better and the Caps have taken a free hit with Kovy that could pay off big but won’t hurt them if it doesn’t.

My take-away from what’s occurred is that Sweeney and Neely don’t massively rate or overstate the team’s Cup chances this season. What I mean by that is that they think they’re a definite contender, but aren't convinced that this is their year or this is the one where they simply have to go all in or miss the boat. So Don's brought in some help, but with more than one eye on next year, making sure there is cap space free to re-sign Krug, DeBrusk, Bjork, Gryz etc. or find suitable replacements, have a play on the open market should anyone suitable be available, and keep the team’s defensive depth well and truly intact. It is incredibly hard to back-up from a long playoff run, so I do see it as a strong possibility, as some others here have speculated, that Bruins’ management see 2021 as their best chance for a final Cup push with this core. Obviously they’ll take it this year if it comes, but they’re not betting the farm on it, and this year's buying market was again quite expensive.

So a B- for me as I can see why things have panned out this way and we're certainly in better shape than we were, but I'm not convinced that playing cautious will pay off or if it will always leave us just short. Nonetheless as it stands this is a strong group. Looking forward to seeing what the next couple of months brings.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
i gave a c- .. just hate the fact we had to get rid of a 1st .. and we have kase to show for it.. sure we got rid of backes contract, but the fact that we had to do that is what makes me the most mad.. why not just give two second's for AA . speed, scoring and toughness. i dont know, just seems like a lot went out and the stuff they got back are unknowns with hope attached to it

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
B. A lot depends Kase and whether he can stay healthy, which he hasn't been able to do yet apparently. Getting Backes off the books and creating cap space is great so long as they can now extend Krug. Ritchie's ruggedness should help in the playoffs.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
B-

Kase has some real potential but also some concerning health risks, and his production is solid rather than spectacular. And another Ritchie. At least this is the better one. Has around the same production as Heinen with added size and physicality and less cap hit, so it’s a nice quick win for Boston. Question marks are going to be can he keep up with the fast Bruins game, ‘cause his brother couldn’t, and can he stay out of the box, ‘cause his previous penalty record will NOT be tolerated by Cassidy. I think he’ll be ok.

Good luck to Danton in Anaheim. He had me fooled on Saturday as he really wasn’t acting or talking like a guy about to be traded, but I’m not surprised he’s gone. Strip away all the vitriol and I think in the end it’s still clear that his game in Boston had reached an impasse. He’s a competent hockey player, but he just hasn’t managed to elevate any one aspect of his skill set that would turn him into a really good one. Perhaps he’ll find that something extra with the Ducks.

I think the Bruins have a slightly stronger roster than they did a week ago. Kase and Ritchie are solid adds that should help a little with both scoring and physical presence, while giving up little in return. But they’re not significant difference-makers in terms of our Cup chances for this year. Secondary scoring and the need to take some of the load off the top line still feel like they’re going to be issues. We’ll see. IMO Tampa and Pittsburgh have traded better and the Caps have taken a free hit with Kovy that could pay off big but won’t hurt them if it doesn’t.

My take-away from what’s occurred is that Sweeney and Neely don’t massively rate or overstate the team’s Cup chances this season. What I mean by that is that they think they’re a definite contender, but aren't convinced that this is their year or this is the one where they simply have to go all in or miss the boat. So Don's brought in some help, but with more than one eye on next year, making sure there is cap space free to re-sign Krug, DeBrusk, Bjork, Gryz etc. or find suitable replacements, have a play on the open market should anyone suitable be available, and keep the team’s defensive depth well and truly intact. It is incredibly hard to back-up from a long playoff run, so I do see it as a strong possibility, as some others here have speculated, that Bruins’ management see 2021 as their best chance for a final Cup push with this core. Obviously they’ll take it this year if it comes, but they’re not betting the farm on it, and this year's buying market was again quite expensive.

So a B- for me as I can see why things have panned out this way and we're certainly in better shape than we were, but I'm not convinced that playing cautious will pay off or if it will always leave us just short. Nonetheless as it stands this is a strong group. Looking forward to seeing what the next couple of months brings.

Spectacular post.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
A for me as they addressed team needs. If Kase continues to have health problems, I would downgrade it to a C, but as it is, they needed a RW goal scorer with top 6 talent=check, and a physical grinder third line guy with skill= check. I don't mind they didn't land the "big fish" because for starters the available fish were not that big and cost way too much and also because they have enough big fish talent already. They needed to fill holes and did it well. Getting rid of Backes' albatross contract is huge and gives them (along with saving on the Heinen swap) the cap flexibility they need to re-sign the RFAs and possibly re-sign Krug.

Reactions: OV and Strafer

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
B+
addressed toughness (Ritchie)
addressed 2nd line RW (Kase)
cut Backes loose and increased cap space

Ritchie is young enough that he may have some upside left but i dont think he'll ever be more than a middle 6 player

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Getting out from under the Backes deal- A+

To judge or put a grade to what else transpired, IMO, is something I have to give some time to pass before doing so. I know so little about and have seen neither Kase or Ritchie nearly enough to assess

What I don`t like or am concerned about
Kase staying healthy and Ritchie being little more than a physical presence when this team still needs secondary scoring

Time will tell

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'll give it a B/B+

Prices seemed way too high. I'm guessing NJ didn't want to take on Backes' contract like Anaheim did, so Donny couldn't get the Palmeiri deal done. I like the Heinen trade for the most part, I just hope DS doesn't plan to use the money saved to overpay Krug.

I do believe we are now a lesser team on paper than Tampa and Washington, though I'll have to see how the new pieces fit into their new slots. I have high hopes for Kase, as long as he can stay healthy.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
B
Added speed and skill.
Added size and this time someone that uses it.
Cleared Cap space for a good off year.
Both guys have term and still controlled after that.

Shipped out a pathetic contract, a kid that may never crack the lineup here and the jaggiest of JAGs I’ve seen in decades.

We are a better team.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
B+

*Created cap space
*Got rid of Backes
*Added 2 24 year old players with term and upside
*Added scoring
*Added size/physicality
*Only subtracted 1 player from the current roster, and it was the best possible choice

Would have been an A+ if they landed a Kreider and extended him versus doing the Ritchie move. If you are THAT pissed about this deadline and give it less than a B- you are super unrealistic and need to go smoke a big fat jay.

Reactions: Strafer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad