Rate Dubas' Deadline

Rate the deadline

• Total voters

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think the surplus of D on the market, and the fact some moved earlier for good returns (i.e. Andy Green, Alec Martinez) didn't help the value on deadline day. Some teams had already made their moves and probably didn't' want to give up what the Leafs would have taken to move him (for example, Vancouver didn't want to give up much in draft picks to acquire help).

I mean, defense of a similar ilk in Gustafsson went for a 3rd and so did Vatanen (prospect and pick). If all they were getting was that I can see why they wanted to keep him given their position in the standings.

I think he misread the market and just held onto Barrie a bit too long.

Mackenzie was only speculating about lame 3rd round pick offers. It wouldnt surpris me if nobody offered a 1st and if that's what he was putting out there it may have killed some discussions before they could start. KD doesnt have a lot of TDL experience so he probably learned from it. I also think Keefe gave Barrie the seal of approval which would.not have motivated Dubas to take a deal he thought was weak.

JB Maple Leafs

Aug 31, 2005
Barrie
I think he Should have added a veteran depth but I think he wants to call up people from our own system and use this opportunity to develop them so we will be stronger next year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Would have been nice to have a guy do this to other team's better players. Surprised Goodrow went for a first.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Just like last year complete and total failure except this year it was an even bigger failure.

At least last year he got Muzzin, it wasn't a deadline deal because it came a month before but at did SOMETHING that mattered.

This year al he did was lazy minor league bullshit that anybody could have done.

Not a damn thing he did this year counts.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
This year al he did was lazy minor league bullshit that anybody could have done.
He got a good backup and some toughness that everybody had been endlessly screaming about, added a depth forward in Malgin and a depth defenseman in Rosen, and added a free draft pick.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
What a difference a few years makes.

Hahaha

F ratings left, right, and center here.

People on this very board hyped Dubas to no end and sighted the movie "Moneyball" (sometimes line for line).

Kyle would balance the cap, build a strong/youthful team, and punt away every caveman that came his way. All using Analytics!!!

Hahahaha

What happened?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He got a good backup and some toughness that everybody had been endlessly screaming about, added a depth forward in Malgin and a depth defenseman in Rosen, and added a free draft pick.

It only took him a year and a half to get that backup.but he finally did that so good for him.

But he doesn't deserve credit for trading Hutch for Rosen, or for acquiring a 5rh rounder, and only minimal credit for the deal with Florida.

I am not giving him credit for things that I could have done, you could have done espically when guys like Vatenan and Forbort went shockingly cheap and it Vats case NJ kept 50%

Dubas failed that's the reality

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

True. We can't lose sight of these things. We'll have to see what kind of impact they'll have. Hopefully more than Nic Petan...

Last edited:

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Yes it would have, I didn't want him for a 2nd+ but a 3rd? that's different but Kyle didn't close the deal

We didn't have a 3rd, thanks to the idiotic Kadri-Barrie trade....

Come July 2nd that trade becomes:

Tor:
Kerfoot
Av's 6th

Col:
Kadri
3rd

Rosen back in forth cancels that part out.

In the meantime, we could have used that 3rd for someone like DeMelo.

Great freaking trade....

Reactions: ACC1224 and ToneDog

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It only took him a year and a half to get that backup.
Actually, just a few months.
But he doesn't deserve credit for trading Hutch for Rosen, or for acquiring a 5rh rounder, and only minimal credit for the deal with Florida.
Why? They were good moves.
I am not giving him credit for things that I could have done
You're not GM. You have no idea what you could have done. You probably wouldn't have even had the idea to pick up a free draft pick like that.
you could have done espically when guys like Vatenan and Forbort went shockingly cheap and it Vats case NJ kept 50%
Vatanen is injured, and Forbert is just coming off injury and setbacks that have kept him out of the season. Neither are good players.
Dubas failed that's the reality
Dubas did exactly what he should have done; that's the reality.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Many dont like Simmonds but Sabres got him for a lousy 5th and NJ ate 50%. Imagine Clifford Spezza and Simmonds as our 4th line.
UFA season I would like to see us go after Josh Anderson. Replace a Johnsson+Malgin in the lineup with someone who is harder to play against.
Then find someone who can survive intensity on the backend. A right hand Muzzin.

This team really needs to be harder to play against. Not only that, but the ability to play it for longer than a period.

Reactions: ToneDog

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Actually, just a few months.

Why? They were good moves.

You're not GM. You have no idea what you could have done. You probably wouldn't have even had the idea to pick up a free draft pick like that.

Vatanen is injured, and Forbert is just coming off injury and setbacks that have kept him out of the season. Neither are good players.

Dubas did exactly what he should have done; that's the reality.

No it took a year and a half the backup issue didn't start with Hutch it started with Sparks and that goes back to 2018 you don't get to act like this issue started in October..

I will not Dubas credit for picking up an AHL D man he doesn't deserve credit for that .

You are correct I wouldn't have used the LTIR money for picking up a pick that likely doesn't make the NHL and even if it does is likely about 6 years away, I would have used it to pick up an NHL body for the defense,

Defense went dirt cheap and he missed out.

He failed stop kissing his ass and worshiping att the altar of Kyle Dubas

Reactions: LeafsRus

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We didn't have a 3rd, thanks to the idiotic Kadri-Barrie trade....

Come July 2nd that trade becomes:

Tor:
Kerfoot
Av's 6th

Col:
Kadri
3rd

Rosen back in forth cancels that part out.

In the meantime, we could have used that 3rd for someone like DeMelo.

Great freaking trade....

The trade isn't that. We've had a full year of Barrie in that and to help us in the goal of winning hockey games. In 2 years if they don't re-sign Kadri, does it become Kerfoot and a 6th for a 3rd?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I see from the poll there are 20 posters that gave Dubas an A. They gotta be troll fans of other teams because there no way any rational Leafs' fan could give him that grade? Right?

We don't have rational leaf fans here.

People used to defend Burke to no end.

Heck people even argued that Colby Armstrong was a solid NHLer.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The trade isn't that. We've had a full year of Barrie in that and to help us in the goal of winning hockey games. In 2 years if they don't re-sign Kadri, does it become Kerfoot and a 6th for a 3rd?
We all know what the theory behind the move was. It didn't work but I don't hold Dubas to blame.
You can take chances with non core members to maybe find that spark, missing team chemistry.
My issue with Dubas is seeing players like Muzzin and Hyman and going out to get Rosen and Malgin.
This I totally disagree with unless they are mostly AHL, ultimate emergency moves.
I'm not asking for him to touch the core.
I'm asking for harder north/south 200 foot players. If you are using the rational that the core needs to grow, mature, etc., then give them some guys that play a harder game around them. Give the team and the coach different in game options. Need to lock it down, then we are better. Getting bottled up in the neutral zone, then give some straight line grit who can bust through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad