Rate Dubas' Deadline

Rate the deadline

• Total voters

horner

May 22, 2007
I was disappointed that Dubas didn't talk to GM's a mouth or so prior to the deadline .
From what people are saying GM's were calling him the last wk before the deadline.
By that time a couple of teams already grabbed a couple of dman .

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
How did KD manage to only get a 5th round pick while retaining salary (on a player that wasnt even ours) and trading a former 3rd pick away?
Marleau was 4.25m in cash and 6.25m in dead cap space; prior to July 1st.
Lehner was 190k in cash, and 1.1m in prorated cap space that has absolutely zero impact on us as a team due to LTIR.
Dzierkals was literally worthless; an old unsigned prospect that had previously asked for a trade.

Massive difference, obviously.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I was disappointed that Dubas didn't talk to GM's a mouth or so prior to the deadline .
He was. He literally made a trade weeks ago...

Barrie was never being traded without another D coming back. That would have been beyond ridiculous.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The other big problem was not adding vet defender depth. I mentioned this many times we are likely in a playoff chase to lose defenders. And what happened so have been no surprise to anyone with a pro hockey background. This was my other big issue with Dubie. He could have added another defender or two to have on the sidelines to deal with something that was easily predicted.

It was 2nd reason why I gave him an F. Inexperienced in pro hockey. Now that said I think as a rookie GM he will learn from it. But he is learning at expense of team and that I put at Shanny's feet. The game does not play out on spreadsheets. Yes you can use them to help/assist. But in the end like everything in life experience wins the day.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The other big problem was not adding vet defender depth. I mentioned this many times we are likely in a playoff chase to lose defenders. And what happened so have been no surprise to anyone with a pro hockey background. This was my other big issue with Dubie. He could have added another defender or two to have on the sidelines to deal with something that was easily predicted.

It was 2nd reason why I gave him an F. Inexperienced in pro hockey. Now that said I think as a rookie GM he will learn from it. But he is learning at expense of team and that I put at Shanny's feet. The game does not play out on spreadsheets. Yes you can use them to help/assist. But in the end like everything in life experience wins the day.
Thought he would have learned last year that adding depth is very important this time of year.
Good one him for bringing Rosen back but that may not be enough especially if Muzzin is out.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
All this talk that the Leafs weren't getting good offers for Barrie is kind of telling isn't it? I mean he's a top pairing D man, according to some here, yet he couldn't command what Shattenkirk did? I find it very interesting and also a bit of a reality check.

As an aside, maybe with the trade deadline over, Barrie relaxes more, he looked pretty good last night. Here's hoping, I'm not cheering against the guy, just observing what I see. His success is our success.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
They can still make a move for a d-man they just wouldn't be eligible for the playoffs. With Ceci and Rielly coming back, Rosen was depth

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
All this talk that the Leafs weren't getting good offers for Barrie is kind of telling isn't it? I mean he's a top pairing D man, according to some here, yet he couldn't command what Shattenkirk did? I find it very interesting and also a bit of a reality check.

As an aside, maybe with the trade deadline over, Barrie relaxes more, he looked pretty good last night. Here's hoping, I'm not cheering against the guy, just observing what I see. His success is our success.
He played with heart again last night. This is 3rd game where he decided to play hard in his own zone for the team. When he plays like Zona game and like last night I keep him all day every day. But his defensive effort against Canes was deplorable. I am beginning to think he may be the guy you watch close to see how he decides to play. When he plays with courage the team is much better off.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He played with heart again last night. This is 3rd game where he decided to play hard in his own zone for the team. When he plays like Zona game and like last night I keep him all day every day. But his defensive effort against Canes was deplorable. I am beginning to think he may be the guy you watch close to see how he decides to play. When he plays with courage the team is much better off.
He played smart and engaged, and he did look more relaxed for some reason.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Gave a B, did not make any dumb overpayment trades for rentals like Lou, plus the way the team was playing, they did not deserve any reinforcements.

Reactions: Blaylock38

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

I think the surplus of D on the market, and the fact some moved earlier for good returns (i.e. Andy Green, Alec Martinez) didn't help the value on deadline day. Some teams had already made their moves and probably didn't' want to give up what the Leafs would have taken to move him (for example, Vancouver didn't want to give up much in draft picks to acquire help).

I mean, defense of a similar ilk in Gustafsson went for a 3rd and so did Vatanen (prospect and pick). If all they were getting was that I can see why they wanted to keep him given their position in the standings.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Now that Muzzin is out as well, anyone want to change their vote?

Reactions: Slot

Todd03

May 28, 2016
Clark 5’11
Gilmour 5’11
Tucker 5’9
Domi 5’8
Thomas 5’11
Roberts 6’2
All guys willing to sacrifice for the ultimate goal.
Size is great but give me a small guy with passion and desire and I take that every day.
The difference with these five players is that they all had grit and toughness. Which none of the
players picked up have any of that. And both Tucker and Domi were 5' 10 not what you put down.
And Gilmour
AKA (The Killer)is a lot like the bruins player and pain in the ass.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I've said it before and I'll say it again
Albert-Einstein-board.jpg

horner

May 22, 2007
He was. He literally made a trade weeks ago...

Barrie was never being traded without another D coming back. That would have been beyond ridiculous.
Call around and see what we might have been offered.
Call around and see what assets we would need for a controllable dman.
At least make a few calls.
Doesn't sound so ridiculous now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad