Rate Dubas' Deadline

Rate the deadline

• Total voters

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
C, probably more of a C+.

This is the core we have, and we either win or not with it. It's absolutely not the time for a rental.

Big moves should come in the off-season if the season trends the way it looks like it is.

The people giving Dubas an F for his trade deadline are actually just giving him an F for the whole season are biased based on current events (not surprised), he didn't do anything wrong at the deadline, although moving Barrie for a first and prospect would have made me happy.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
He did nothing. Barrie stays. Ceci stays. Kerfoot stays.
The only way to get rid of them is, expose these guys at the expansion draft.

2 of them will be leaving once the season is done so can't even use them for expansion draft fodder

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
So people are giving Dubas a B or higher for not doing anything? I'll work for half his salary if the Leafs want.

So, other than you working for less money, what are your qualifications for the job? What do you bring that makes you think you can build a better team?

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
B

-fixed backup problem
-got some grit
-got a depth defenseman/traded away player

What he didn't do:
-give away the farm for a expiring contract

After watching Leaf GM after GM give up the farm at this time of year to just try and get into the playoffs and fail. Only to handcuff the team for the following year. Finally!!!

For those who wanted that RHD, that gets done during the off season. Look at reason above for reason why not to.

Is this team good enough to win the Cup? I say yes, we've all seen worse win. But..... some ideal circumstances would have to materialize as well.

Start playing every game like its your last chance to make it. And play the right way.

The reason everyone is so made is because we all know they could be a contender, and then we watch a game like Saturday!

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
D...
I'm not sure that Brady Skjei was the right long term fit (and maybe Dubas / the pro scouting team felt that he wasn't)... but a guy who is 25 years old, locked up for 4 more years at $5.25m, 6'3, solid defensively, can skate, and put up 25+ points consistently sounds like a pretty good fit to me.

Wow, you're describing a near perfect d-man so I wonder why was such a treasure available for such a paltry return?

The grass is always greener, I think.

Reactions: IPS

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017
So we traded Kadri for Kerfoot, awesome. Why did we not flip Barrie ? This team is not a contender, even if we made playoffs we're getting slapped out of the first round. At least get something for your pending UFA.

F
Kadri & Hutchinson* for Kerfoot. It honestly sucks to lose Kadri for that, but I have to admit, I really thought Barrie was going to RIP it up on this team. Too bad really

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Personally, I don't understand the poor ratings.

He didn't acquire UFAs at a nuts price. He didn't trade any more picks. He resigned Muzzin to a reasonable deal. He won the Malgin for Marchment and Hutchinson for Rosen. He acquired a solid backup and team toughness with Campbell + Clifford, without trading all that much.

Yea obviously I don't agree with the Timashov waiving. But overall he's done an adequate job and you guys could not do better.

Obviously the Marner deal was an overpayment. But the amount of slack Dubas gets around here makes me really wonder how long you've been a fan. He has been far better than Burke/Ferguson Jr...
Better than Burke and JFJ. that's not saying much. he has been OKAY just OKAY, I'm very disappointed with what he has done this year.
for the record.... He didn't win the Hutchinson for Rosen trade. that trade is nothing. He's an Full time AHL Dman. Dubas did nothing but help the marlies out on Trade Deadline.
Our team is a joke. he SHOULD have sold off Barrie and as many of the UFA's not named Muzzin as possible to retool for next season. whats the worst that could have happened? we miss playoffs anyways? Florida dumped a little so why didnt we?
Dubas is a horrible GM the good moves he has made do not IMO out weigh the bad ones.
We made a MAJOR mistake letting him take over at such a crucial time like the summer where we had to extend our stars.
Here's to another year of misery and another 1st round exit IF we make it because Boston and Tampa are 10fold better than us.

also Marner overpayment was enough. that ruined us, a major reason we cant improve is because Marner made sure he had every last cent. because he's the greatest winger ever right... our Media is cancerous at over hyping our players.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Would it be a great surprise if he did?

It wouldn't be a surprise to me, but it very little is. If something is a possible outcome, it's not a surprise to me. For instance, I wouldn't be surprised if terrorists blew up Scotiabank Arena. I wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs won the Cup this season. I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped low enough in the standings that they keep this year's 1st round pick and have to give Carolina next year. Those are all possible outcomes that can be perceived by me, so why would they be surprises?

That being said, I think it's unlikely that Dubas signs both Ceci and Barrie to UFA deals.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Kadri & Hutchinson* for Kerfoot. It honestly sucks to lose Kadri for that, but I have to admit, I really thought Barrie was going to RIP it up on this team. Too bad really

So, one season of Barrie has no value whatsoever? I agree that Barrie has not lived up to expectations, but I don't think I would value his season as completely worthless.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Heard he turned down at least a conditional 1st + based on the acquiring team resigning him. I get it you want to be as strong as possible for the playoffs but if you have resigned yourself that this team is not worthy of adding then you gotta get something. Fail.
Where did you heard that? I heard he was getting low offers, like in the range of a 3rd round pick. According to Bob McKenzie

Reactions: Slot

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
But which big name? Tavares and Matthews are out for different reasons. So Marner and Nylander. Nylander is actually not expensive. Losing Cash Money now would open up massive space for D and goaltending

You cannot trade away another big centre... Kadri was moved to retain the other two.

In my mind is it Marner. Nylander's contract is not that big... and if he can score like he has... fine.

It would suck to see that happen, but tbh I don't enjoy watching him. All the dipsy-doo plays everywhere no matter the situation... c'mon man this isn't junior.

My guess is if they miss the playoffs, or make it and go out in round 1 a big name moves. If they win round 1, I say they bought themselves another season, for better or worse.

Marner is making a TON of money.

horner

May 22, 2007
The way our season has gone with all the injuries .
Why didn't Dubas sign Bogo, it's not like we didn't have the cap space.
It seems as though he didn't even talk to him.
I know I know he is not ve y good any more but he is an experienced dman in case Jake Muzzin gets a hand injury , mmmmm like last night.

Tbay thought it might be a good idea to have kicking around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad