Confirmed with Link: Rasmus Sandin to play with Toronto Marlies for 2018-19 Season

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
The benefits prospects like Rasmus Sandin gain by staying in...
One agent told The Athletic that the plan is to have Sandin stay with the Marlies for a 10-game trial.

Sandin’s agent in Sweden, Michael Rosell, said he didn’t want to speculate what will happen if his client doesn’t stay with the Marlies. However, he went on to say, “I think he is going to show the guys in Toronto he is good enough to play in the AHL.”

So the question remains – should Rasmus Sandin stay with the Marlies this season?
The obvious reason Sandin should stay with the Marlies is the quality and quantity of resources to help him develop. The Marlies practise right down the hall from the Leafs and get significant financial backing from the organization to develop players in the hopes of turning them into NHL players. Numerous players have told reporters this season that the Marlies are a first-class organization that is run like an NHL club.

The team has their own hockey operations director, video and statistical analyst, athletic therapists, strength and conditioning coaches, team doctors, dentists and a player development staff that includes Wickenheiser and skating guru Barb Underhill.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
The benefits prospects like Rasmus Sandin gain by staying in...
The Marlies practise right down the hall from the Leafs and get significant financial backing from the organization to develop players in the hopes of turning them into NHL players. Numerous players have told reporters this season that the Marlies are a first-class organization that is run like an NHL club.

This is the kind of thing we have been waiting for.
I love the idea that we can develop guys better, or get more out of kids.
The more this becomes known, the easier it should be to keep signing European and College FA's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: meefer

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Do you think it would smart of Toronto to try and develop him on the right side?

Leafs have Rielly and Dermott for the foreseeable future in the top 4 left side

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Do you think it would smart of Toronto to try and develop him on the right side?

Leafs have Rielly and Dermott for the foreseeable future in the top 4 left side
I personally think it's most wise to develop him wherever he's most likely to reach his potential. If that's the left side then so be it. Forcing him to a side where it doesn't translate is just devaluing him. If we have a problem with too much talent there's always the trade route.

(Also I love the idea of the Sandin-Liljegren pairing)

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I personally think it's most wise to develop him wherever he's most likely to reach his potential. If that's the left side then so be it. Forcing him to a side where it doesn't translate is just devaluing him. If we have a problem with too much talent there's always the trade route.

(Also I love the idea of the Sandin-Liljegren pairing)

Rielly - xxxx
Dermott - Zaitsev
Sandin - Liljgren

for October 2020? That would be very interesting.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
I've watched Liljegren play and he's got some sandpaper to his game. He can be nasty sometimes when pushed. He's definitely a lot more physical than I thought from pre draft scouting reports. ( I'm not saying he's Chara physical but sneaky physical like playoff Karlsson)

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Didn't see it mentioned that Sandin moved up to the 2nd defensive pairing with LoVerde on Friday night. Think he was playing in the third line prior to this (could be mistaken though).

Friday Game Recap with lineup:
Rasmus Sandin picks up another point, Mason Marchment scores twice in Toronto Marlies’ high-scoring loss to Belleville

Saturday Game Recap with lineup:
Carl Grundstrom scores twice, Mason Marchment records second consecutive two-point game as Toronto Marlies bounce back with blowout victory over Belleville

Papetti gushing about Sandin:
Leafs Musings: A Big Weekend for Sandin and Liljegren, Standout Forwards on the Marlies, and Thoughts on the William Nylander Rumours

Edit: yes, in their previous game on Nov 2, Sandin and LoVerde were on the third line:
Toronto Marlies rescue a point but fall in shootout in sloppy loss to Cleveland

Last edited:
Reactions: DeclanK

nwarrior

Aug 28, 2010
Lots of hype around these two, let's hope they aren't rushed in next year upon Gardiner's departure.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
5 points in 7 games. Impressive start. The people who said Dubas only picked him because he played for the Soo are looking silly.

Reactions: taurine330

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'm not convinced gardiner is going anywhere. Without gardiner this teams defense is ass

Gardiner at $7M+? not a chance in hell we should be doing that. We cant pay that just because he is useful on this dcore doesn't make him worth that cap hit on our team in a cap crunch

Reactions: Cams

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
If one of Liljegren or Sandin develops into a similar player to Travis Dermott, the Leafs will have won. If they both do, the Leafs have hit the lottery.

Right now I'd put my money on Sandin.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
If one of Liljegren or Sandin develops into a similar player to Travis Dermott, the Leafs will have won. If they both do, the Leafs have hit the lottery.

Liljegren isn't a cerebral player like dermott/sandin where everything is go-go-go

Liljegren is more like a Rielly.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Bit premature, but Sandin has the kind of hockey IQ that just reeks NHL quality. For a kid to have that decision making ability, it does remind me of watching Dermott, and if anything he’s more impressive at this tender stage. Very exciting.

Reactions: Myopic

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Nope. He more than likely isn't going anywhere either.

Then the question becomes - At the cost of which player(s)? The way he is playing this season so far, it's hard to move on, but how to fit him in the cap is a tough call. Can Liljegren step in next year (as Dermott did last year)? Sounds like Sandin is progressing well too, but he is maybe at least one more year away (after this year)......I can't see them affording to have 91, 44, 22, 43, and new contracts for 34, 16, 29, and even 24. Sandin sure looks like a great pick at where he was drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad