Confirmed with Link: Rasmus Sandin to play with Toronto Marlies for 2018-19 Season

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
A deep forward sqaud too. Probably have a couple NHLers between Grundstrom, Bracco, Timashov, Marchment, Moore, Engvall....
The only one I would think has a better than 50% chance of being a long-term top 9 forward in the NHL is Grundstrom. The others have a chance, but I wouldn't grade them out at likely.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
The only one I would think has a better than 50% chance of being a long-term top 9 forward in the NHL is Grundstrom. The others have a chance, but I wouldn't grade them out at likely.

I'm not saying the latter will all be NHLers, but of the forward group, I can see a couple (as in 2) make it to the big show... Moore, Marchment, Engvall all have a decent shot at this point IMO.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
No, I get what you're saying... (or maybe I don't?)

But you don't see any disadvantage of playing him the 12-14 that I suggested?

That's the point that I'm trying to bring up. If you just play him periodically or every other night on the weekend, I think that really does affect him. He could be playing 20+ minutes a night in the OHL and playing in all situations.

By this point in the season, Keefe is looking to get some stability in the power play and maybe Sandin would/might rotate on the 2nd power play.

I suspect, and understand that I'm no fitness expert :rolleyes:, that the organization views this as an opportunity to manage Sandin much the way they did Lily last year. I believe he spent as much time working on his physical durability and strength as he did his hockey skills, thus the 4o odd games played, not more. Perhaps they see Rasmus benefitting more from a 'pro' style physical program (which is readily available with the Marlies) more than playing 20+ min/game in the O.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018

"good skater and makes plays all the time" - Calle Rosen on Rasmus Sandin's first game

"poised, calm, in control, comfortable" - Sheldon Keefe on Rasmus Sandin's first game

"poised, makes really good plays, good skater" - Jeff glass on Rasmus Sandin's first game

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
His IQ and skill could be NHL level by next year for sure but he needs a little strength to help his speed acceleration and physical endurance
He's 6' 185lbs.

He could put on a good 10 lbs. of muscle and have an NHL summer and be fine.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He could but at 19 I would still worry about injuries.
I would rather be cautious with him. He should be a gem for us

Agreed. Much talk over the last few years have been about the big three (MNM) however there is a new big 3 up and coming that is critical for the Leafs' to take the next step and ensure that they can sustain their success. Except that it's on the blueline: Sandin, Liljegren, and Dermott.

All 3 becoming solid top 4 d-men will go a long way for the future of the club.

It'll be interesting to see Sandin develop as he gets stronger. Being able to show good poise as an 18 year old in the AHL is tremendous. They'll be able to instil the systems and game at the pro level a lot easier on a younger mind. That in itself could be big for his potential!

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Agreed. Much talk over the last few years have been about the big three (MNM) however there is a new big 3 up and coming that is critical for the Leafs' to take the next step and ensure that they can sustain their success. Except that it's on the blueline: Sandin, Liljegren, and Dermott.

All 3 becoming solid top 4 d-men will go a long way for the future of the club.

It'll be interesting to see Sandin develop as he gets stronger. Being able to show good poise as an 18 year old in the AHL is tremendous. They'll be able to instil the systems and game at the pro level a lot easier on a younger mind. That in itself could be big for his potential!
What was considered a weakness looks to become a strength.
If guys like druzi pan out too we are really looking good

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
What does being 19 have to do with it. Can you rephrase your concerns in a way that doesn’t list only his age?
It's about physical maturity.
The connective tissue of the body (tendons, ligaments, facia) aren't usually fully set until people reach their 20's. Of course this depends on a person to person basis and things like when they have growth spurts factor in, but in his case if he puts on 10-15 pounds of muscle, his whole body will have undergone a complete restructure and thus increasing his possibility of injury.

Reactions: mavis

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
It's about physical maturity.
The connective tissue of the body (tendons, ligaments, facia) aren't usually fully set until people reach their 20's. Of course this depends on a person to person basis and things like when they have growth spurts factor in, but in his case if he puts on 10-15 pounds of muscle, his whole body will have undergone a complete restructure and thus increasing his possibility of injury.

Thanks for the explanation. Not really sure we can make any determination about that without access to the specimen. I’d put trust that Leafs health science team have got it covered, and just hope we see him in the NHL next year all things considered.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Thanks for the explanation. Not really sure we can make any determination about that without access to the specimen. I’d put trust that Leafs health science team have got it covered, and just hope we see him in the NHL next year all things considered.
Absolutely trusting the leafs health science team. I'm just saying this would be the only reason he might be kept down next year.
My selfish side wants him playing with the big team next year too

Reactions: mavis

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
He's 6' 185lbs.

He could put on a good 10 lbs. of muscle and have an NHL summer and be fine.
He was the best D on the ice in camp. He can play now if they wanted him to! Leafs appear to be more into grooming these days than they used to,so like Lilly ,he will likely do a season or two on the Marlies. Slight possibility he comes in if Gards isn't re-signed. As he's already better than Gards now!

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Just saw the marlies game . Impressed

Whats the expected ceiling on this guy? I think a full year in the marlies and then hed be close to nhl ready. Hr clearly has the IT factor, like the toolbox.

Is he considered the better prospect than Liljegren?

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Just saw the marlies game . Impressed

Whats the expected ceiling on this guy? I think a full year in the marlies and then hed be close to nhl ready. Hr clearly has the IT factor, like the toolbox.

Is he considered the better prospect than Liljegren?

I would say he is a safer bet to reach his potential ceiling, which is a steady two way Top 4 defender.

I still believe Liljegren has a higher ceiling, but is also a much higher risk in not realizing that potential.

Reactions: Smif and DarkKnight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->