Confirmed with Link: Rasmus Sandin to play with Toronto Marlies for 2018-19 Season

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't know if it's necessarily best for his development, but being able to watch him regularly is best for me. it will be interesting to see how they use him now that they can control his development

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
I'm a big fan of this. A strong NHL camp showed that he can keep up with the speed and decision making at the pro level. The biggest thing hold him back is all around strength. Being with the Marlies will allow him to put more time into getting stronger with the Leafs directly watching him.

His contract situation is similar to Lily's in that his ELC years don't get eaten up right away too, eh?
Can you explain how that works? I thought Lily would be on year 2 now

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Awesome news, this kid really excites me. Great hockey IQ, add some weight, get some experienced I think we have a keeper here.

I want him to get faster first and foremost. I think strength is added generally as they get older a lot easier and I'm worried with their program to add strength (Look at Marner, Dermott, Nylander, etc).

If he can add a gear to his skating, similar to Dermott, he's going to be very good and soon. That's the one thing holding him back a little right now.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I want him to get faster first and foremost. I think strength is added generally as they get older a lot easier and I'm worried with their program to add strength (Look at Marner, Dermott, Nylander, etc).

If he can add a gear to his skating, similar to Dermott, he's going to be very good and soon. That's the one thing holding him back a little right now.
True, he does need to add some speed.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Can you explain how that works? I thought Lily would be on year 2 now
European drafted players who play in the ahl in their d+1 &2 seasons have their elcs slide a year, same as NA drafted players who go back to the CHL.
Technically Sandin was loaned to SSM from Rogle so he’s a European draft pick. Nylander has the same circumstances but we burned that elc year by playing him 22 games in 15-16.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Kadri finally nets first goal, Leafs withstand late Jets charge to win on the road
Reports that the Leafs have decided defenceman Rasmus Sandin, the club’s first-round pick this year, will stay with the Toronto Marlies for the remainder of this season are premature.

“Rasmus earned the right to start the season as a professional following his performance during our training camp and NHL exhibition season,” Leafs general manager Kyle Dubas said through the team’s media relations staff.

“Unfortunately, an injury in Marlies exhibition has sidelined him from being available to start the season with the Marlies. We will give Rasmus a good opportunity now with the Marlies and decide in due course whether he will develop this season with the Marlies, in Rogle or Sault Ste. Marie.”

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Not sure why this was the best route for him to take.

I don't believe he dominated the OHL & was probably better served to play there at least another year.

Isn't there a logjam of defensemen on the Marlies already? And with Sandin taking priority based on draft status, that pushes Borgman, Rosen or Nielsen off the roster most nights.

The ship has sailed on Nielsen unfortunatly don’t think he’ll ever crack the NHL.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
European drafted players who play in the ahl in their d+1 &2 seasons have their elcs slide a year, same as NA drafted players who go back to the CHL.
Technically Sandin was loaned to SSM from Rogle so he’s a European draft pick. Nylander has the same circumstances but we burned that elc year by playing him 22 games in 15-16.

Not just European players, NA players who play in the AHL in ther d +1 & 2 seasons also have their ELC's slide a year.

i.e Travis Dermott played 59 games in the AHL in the 16/17 season, but a year of his ELC was not burned because of it.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I wonder if they'll bring him along slowly like Bracco or Marchment, or throw him right in like Lijegren?

I could see both scenarios given his need to add strength. Off ice training could be a big part of his development this year like with Bracco.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not a huge fan of this move, but if he is overwhelmed hopefully he will agree to go to the Soo. He tended to get hit hard at the lower level, so I'm not sure he's ready for a pro-level forecheck on small ice. Hopefully he proves me wrong and excels though.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Not a huge fan of this move, but if he is overwhelmed hopefully he will agree to go to the Soo. He tended to get hit hard at the lower level, so I'm not sure he's ready for a pro-level forecheck on small ice. Hopefully he proves me wrong and excels though.

Yeah I've got some concerns about an AHL forecheck coming at him at a million miles an hour as well

He seemed to deal with it ok in the pre-season but I'm not sure guys are going for it full bore early on so I'm not sure how much that counts

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I don't know if it's necessarily best for his development, but being able to watch him regularly is best for me. it will be interesting to see how they use him now that they can control his development
he just needs to play ,18 years old just playyyyy

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Not sure why this was the best route for him to take.

I don't believe he dominated the OHL & was probably better served to play there at least another year.

Isn't there a logjam of defensemen on the Marlies already? And with Sandin taking priority based on draft status, that pushes Borgman, Rosen or Nielsen off the roster most nights.
Because in camp he looked poised and not out of place alongside NHL'ers... why send him back to junior? He looked right at home next to Liljegren.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Wasn't it always assumed he would play the year with the Marlies?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Nielsen isn't good, so I'm not worried about him getting minutes

I'd be inclined to send the kid to the SHL or OHL to get huge minutes but if he's going to get the Liljegren treatment from last year and get good minutes with the Marlies it shouldn't be detrimental to his development

I'm not so much worried about Nielsen. I could have mentioned anyone, but on the roster is LoVerde, Nielsen, Liljegren, Sandin, Subban, Rosen, Borgman, Sproul, Jardine, Corrado & Cumiskey. Now there's a big difference in some of those guys and getting Sandin some minutes. But with the logjam on there and getting some guys minutes, why add another name into it.

Reactions: Kiwi

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Sandin probably won't get a ton of top usage, unless he's just hits the ground running and plays great.

I think it's actually a really good spot for Sandin. Guys like Rosen, Borgman and Liljegren can carry most of the load, and then there's some servicable guys to fill in elsewhere. There isn't too much pressure for Sandin to perform at a high level right away, yet if he does, then there's no reason not to move him up. They're pretty free to play him whatever minutes in whatever situations are appropriate for him at the time.

So do you believe that getting him 12-14 minutes a night and playing 1 of 2 games per weekend is the best thing for him?

If there was legit talk of him not wanting to go back to the OHL and you could't convince him otherwise, maybe going to the SHL would have been the better option.

If he's in and out of the Marlies line-up and not getting top line minutes like he would in the Soo, why would that be good for anyone's development?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Wasn't it always assumed he would play the year with the Marlies?

It was between the Marlies and Rogle. It was said that he wanted to play in Sweden but perhaps they agreed that the Marlies is better for him.

Closer to their development. They can control his usage and they can control a potential call-up if he plays well enough.

They can't control him at all in the SHL.

The OHL was not an option.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I think the whole “not physically mature enough to play in the AHL” thing routinely gets blown out of proportion.

In the AHL he’ll get all the rest and strength training and conditioning training he needs to stay healthy.

He’ll get all the video review coaching he needs to get better.

He’ll get all the coaching attention he needs during practice to get better.

He’ll get all the bonding time he needs with players who have accomplished more to get his habits right.

He’ll get all the in game matchups and situations he needs to work out the details of his game.

You can’t say that about any other league he may be loaned to because Sandins development is not their top priority.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->