Confirmed with Link: Rasmus Sandin to play with Toronto Marlies for 2018-19 Season

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Unreal. Cool to have 2 Swedish D studs on the the Marlies. Damn, is there a lot of bodies on the back end down there though.

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Saw confirmed with link and my head immediately went to a Nylander signing. :confused: Happy for Rasmus, looking forward to see him progress.

Reactions: BTP

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Not sure why this was the best route for him to take.

I don't believe he dominated the OHL & was probably better served to play there at least another year.

Isn't there a logjam of defensemen on the Marlies already? And with Sandin taking priority based on draft status, that pushes Borgman, Rosen or Nielsen off the roster most nights.

Reactions: Northernguy10

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I don't believe he dominated the OHL & was probably better served to play there at least another year.

Isn't there a logjam of defensemen on the Marlies already? And with Sandin taking priority based on draft status, that pushes Borgman, Rosen or Nielsen off the roster most nights.

Nielsen isn't good, so I'm not worried about him getting minutes

I'd be inclined to send the kid to the SHL or OHL to get huge minutes but if he's going to get the Liljegren treatment from last year and get good minutes with the Marlies it shouldn't be detrimental to his development

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

It doesn't seem that Sandin was interested in going back to the OHL. It was either Sweden or Toronto and I think the leafs brass felt it's better to have him in Toronto where he can use their resources to get better and they can keep an eye on him

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

He came over as a 17yr old and had 45 points in 51 games and 13 in 24 playoff games.

That's an impressive season for an import defenceman getting used to a new culture, country, etc.

Being in the city to skate with pro's daily, get pro coaching, and get some minutes in a pro environment while learning how to play "Leafs hockey" isn't a bad development option. Over playing in junior can hurt players. And if he goes back to Sweden he might get no more ice time and we have no control over his practice habits, nutrition, etc.

Pushing veterans down that could play bottom pairing NHL minutes, and at just 18 at that, shows what his skill set really is and how highly everyone thinks of him. I think having him under Keefe for the season is a huge positive even if he doesn't eat big minutes.

Since he was on loan going back to the OHL likely wasn't at all an option. We picked pro in Toronto over pro in Sweden to bring him along. I think that's a wise move.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
For selfish reasons I love this, being to go watch so easily and more often. Would love him to be paired with Liljegren but would also be surprised if that happened because Lilly is getting minutes now while I believe Sandin will be sheltered. As an 18 year old, I'm not expecting many points at all and am expect growing pains. Hopefully he continues to develop his smart and responsible game.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
It doesn't seem that Sandin was interested in going back to the OHL. It was either Sweden or Toronto and I think the leafs brass felt it's better to have him in Toronto where he can use their resources to get better and they can keep an eye on him

Where he was loaned to SSM by Rogle I don't think the OHL was an option. It was Rogle or the Marlies. At least here we can control a lot more about how he develops.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Being to good for the OHL is not a good way to develop. He will also play at the world Jr this year and that should tell us just where he is among his peers.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Sandin probably won't get a ton of top usage, unless he's just hits the ground running and plays great.

I think it's actually a really good spot for Sandin. Guys like Rosen, Borgman and Liljegren can carry most of the load, and then there's some servicable guys to fill in elsewhere. There isn't too much pressure for Sandin to perform at a high level right away, yet if he does, then there's no reason not to move him up. They're pretty free to play him whatever minutes in whatever situations are appropriate for him at the time.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Being to good for the OHL is not a good way to develop. He will also play at the world Jr this year and that should tell us just where he is among his peers.

Agreed 100% on both.

People love to see the big numbers that come from dominating junior but Dmen especially can play 30-35 minutes in junior if they're dominant and in many cases it causes some regression when those same guys become pro's and need to adjust to 8-10 minutes per night.

The WJHC will be the true judge as to where he's at as a prospect.

Reactions: diceman934

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He came over as a 17yr old and had 45 points in 51 games and 13 in 24 playoff games.

That's an impressive season for an import defenceman getting used to a new culture, country, etc.

Being in the city to skate with pro's daily, get pro coaching, and get some minutes in a pro environment while learning how to play "Leafs hockey" isn't a bad development option. Over playing in junior can hurt players. And if he goes back to Sweden he might get no more ice time and we have no control over his practice habits, nutrition, etc.

Pushing veterans down that could play bottom pairing NHL minutes, and at just 18 at that, shows what his skill set really is and how highly everyone thinks of him. I think having him under Keefe for the season is a huge positive even if he doesn't eat big minutes.

Since he was on loan going back to the OHL likely wasn't at all an option. We picked pro in Toronto over pro in Sweden to bring him along. I think that's a wise move.

And keep in mind he put up those points despite not being on the #1 PP, a lot of those came off smart puck management at ES. He should fit the Marlies possession game like a glove. Ideally we have another Dermott on our hands when current Dermott is off his ELC.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He's going to get the Liljegren treatment, and I guess Nielsen takes on the Valiev role. Since Sandin is going to be more sheltered than Liljegren was to start (since he's coming directly off of an injury to boot), and Liljegren was pretty sheltered himself, the Marlies are probably going to roll with 4 pairings. Sandin's pairing (who knows who he'll get partnered with...) and Nielsen's pairing with likely one of Subban, LoVerde or Corrado. Either way, 4 pairings are going to get quite a bit of ice time until Sandin starts getting used to the AHL. After that, wouldn't be shocked if Nielsen is shipped just like Valiev was last year once Liljegren was ready for consistent playing time.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Sandin probably won't get a ton of top usage, unless he's just hits the ground running and plays great.

I think it's actually a really good spot for Sandin. Guys like Rosen, Borgman and Liljegren can carry most of the load, and then there's some servicable guys to fill in elsewhere. There isn't too much pressure for Sandin to perform at a high level right away, yet if he does, then there's no reason not to move him up. They're pretty free to play him whatever minutes in whatever situations are appropriate for him at the time.
That we have such a huge Swedish contingent on that blueline (to go along with Grundstrom and Engvall up front) is a nice little bonus, as well. (I know he's already been playing in NA for a year, but that's gotta help make him feel at home here.)

Whether it's the best move for his development or not (I think it is - I always like the idea of getting guys used to our systems and coaches) I'll always be selfishly glad to be able to get a closer look at our prospects.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm a big fan of this. A strong NHL camp showed that he can keep up with the speed and decision making at the pro level. The biggest thing hold him back is all around strength. Being with the Marlies will allow him to put more time into getting stronger with the Leafs directly watching him.

His contract situation is similar to Lily's in that his ELC years don't get eaten up right away too, eh?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's the best spot for him. I thought Rogle was OK but it's not the best.

A lot of top CHL players would be better suited to play in the AHL as 18-19 year olds if they could.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad