Confirmed with Link: Rasmus Sandin to play with Toronto Marlies for 2018-19 Season

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Not a huge fan of this move, but if he is overwhelmed hopefully he will agree to go to the Soo. He tended to get hit hard at the lower level, so I'm not sure he's ready for a pro-level forecheck on small ice. Hopefully he proves me wrong and excels though.

I love that attitude. Wish more people around here took that line.

I think the whole “not physically mature enough to play in the AHL” thing routinely gets blown out of proportion.

In the AHL he’ll get all the rest and strength training and conditioning training he needs to stay healthy.

He’ll get all the video review coaching he needs to get better.

He’ll get all the coaching attention he needs during practice to get better.

He’ll get all the bonding time he needs with players who have accomplished more to get his habits right.

He’ll get all the in game matchups and situations he needs to work out the details of his game.

You can’t say that about any other league he may be loaned to because Sandins development is not their top priority.

The only problem with the AHL is that it's full of Jake Dotchin-like troglodytes. There's a ton of great developmental reasons to playing for the Marlies, but a kid who's not physically ready for the AHL can wind up seriously hurt. As 93Leafs mentioned in his post, if Sandin is already prone to taking hard hits in the OHL, the AHL carries extra risk. Hopefully Sandin does great and proves that those concerns were silly.

Reactions: Luminiferous

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I love that attitude. Wish more people around here took that line.

The only problem with the AHL is that it's full of Jake Dotchin-like troglodytes. There's a ton of great developmental reasons to playing for the Marlies, but a kid who's not physically ready for the AHL can wind up seriously hurt. As 93Leafs mentioned in his post, if Sandin is already prone to taking hard hits in the OHL, the AHL carries extra risk. Hopefully Sandin does great and proves that those concerns were silly.

I still think the Dotchin thing is blown out of proportion for 2 reasons:

a) Leafs just got u lucky with a few injuries in short succession, it’s not _that bad_ in the AHL; and
b) adding 20lbs and some strength over the summer isn’t going to save you from injury when you get hit on the numbers on the boards, elbowed in the head, or hit knee on knee. If someone wants to injure you, there are ways to do it regardless how big and strong you are.

member 262271

I really like this. Marlies need help on the back end and it keeps Rasmus close and gets him used to the grind and the small ice. Win win.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Why did you reply to my post without reading it? :laugh:

No, I get what you're saying... (or maybe I don't?)

But you don't see any disadvantage of playing him the 12-14 that I suggested?

That's the point that I'm trying to bring up. If you just play him periodically or every other night on the weekend, I think that really does affect him. He could be playing 20+ minutes a night in the OHL and playing in all situations.

By this point in the season, Keefe is looking to get some stability in the power play and maybe Sandin would/might rotate on the 2nd power play.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
But you don't see any disadvantage of playing him the 12-14 that I suggested?

Well, no, I framed my post as such.

If 12-14 minutes is appropriate for him at the time, then that's what appropriate for him at the time. They obviously believe he's ready for that learning process or they wouldn't have him there.

As long as he's learning what he needs to in order to contribute to the Leafs, that's what I care about.

We're talking about exactly what Liljegren did last year. They let him wade his way in, learn the NA pro game and his role increased as the season went on. Makes sense, no?

I'm not of the opinion that development is only about ice-time.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I want him to get faster first and foremost. I think strength is added generally as they get older a lot easier and I'm worried with their program to add strength (Look at Marner, Dermott, Nylander, etc).

If he can add a gear to his skating, similar to Dermott, he's going to be very good and soon. That's the one thing holding him back a little right now.
This. You guys got a stud here. Ever since he came over a year ago he has taken everything in stride that has been thrown his way without flinching. He will never look out of place; he has such a high hockey IQ and plays such smart defense he will take care of the puck in his own end and get it out of the zone every time. He will hit the ground running in the AHL and he will climb the depth chart faster than anyone will believe. If he can add another gear and he will dominate the AHL the way he did the OHL.

Not a huge fan of this move, but if he is overwhelmed hopefully he will agree to go to the Soo. He tended to get hit hard at the lower level, so I'm not sure he's ready for a pro-level forecheck on small ice. Hopefully he proves me wrong and excels though.
Huh? Hit hard? Nope. He would take a hit to make a play, no question, but always knew exactly what he was doing, managed the contact situation, made the right play, and never put himself in harms way. He can handle the physicality of the game without question.

As much as I would love to have him back in the OHL, I would be shocked to see him back there this year.

Reactions: SprDaVE

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Sproul and Cumiskey released from PTO's. That cleans a little bit of the overcrowd on D

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm not so much worried about Nielsen. I could have mentioned anyone, but on the roster is LoVerde, Nielsen, Liljegren, Sandin, Subban, Rosen, Borgman, Sproul, Jardine, Corrado & Cumiskey. Now there's a big difference in some of those guys and getting Sandin some minutes. But with the logjam on there and getting some guys minutes, why add another name into it.

I agree with that to a certain extent and I'd send the kid to the SHL personally but the team does seem to be placing a ton of value in developing these kids in house

Out of all those names on defense the only guys I'm interested in are Liljegren, Sandin, Borgman, Rosen and maybe Subban (kind of)

Maybe Sandin and LoVerde on the 3rd pair could be a good learning/development type situation for the kid, I'd certainly hope so

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Leafs need to add Jesper Lindgren and reacquire Victor Loov or Tom Nilsson and go ALL Swedish D core.
My 2 cents would be I would love to see him with SSM until Christmas, play in the World juniors and join The Marlies after the tournament

Don’t quote me on this as I’m not 100% sure but I don’t believe that’s an option. If they send him back to SSM he’s there until they’re done! Except h can play the WJC obviously. I don’t believe they could just pull him back to the Marlies when they want to.

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
I'm not so much worried about Nielsen. I could have mentioned anyone, but on the roster is LoVerde, Nielsen, Liljegren, Sandin, Subban, Rosen, Borgman, Sproul, Jardine, Corrado & Cumiskey. Now there's a big difference in some of those guys and getting Sandin some minutes. But with the logjam on there and getting some guys minutes, why add another name into it.

For me the AHL is a development league and over half the names you listed are, to me, just fillers to me.

Besides Liljegren, Borgman and Sandin, the rest are what they are. Maybe one or two surprises you but you focus on those three.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
Sandin got his first goal tonight :)

Wrist shot from the point, screened and deflected...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad