Tribute Rasmus Sandin Discussion Thread

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Should've been playing much earlier in year but whatever, cap issues is the excuse used so I'll let it go.

He's been excellent. Hope he isn't moved. His brain, poise, and confidence mixed with cojones to stand up for himself is really making him a dynamic threat on D.
I really like him with Dermott

Reactions: hockeynorth

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Should've been playing much earlier in year but whatever, cap issues is the excuse used so I'll let it go.

He's been excellent. Hope he isn't moved. His brain, poise, and confidence mixed with cojones to stand up for himself is really making him a dynamic threat on D.
His injury had a big part in him not playing so there is that, but he still needs some seasoning. Dermott covered for him a few times when Sandin was a little too aggressive.
I have no doubts he will figure it out quickly but will it be before the playoffs start?

Reactions: hockeynorth

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
His injury had a big part in him not playing so there is that, but he still needs some seasoning. Dermott covered for him a few times when Sandin was a little too aggressive.
I have no doubts he will figure it out quickly but will it be before the playoffs start?

Being aggressive and pinching or attacking the puck carrier is not a negative if you have someone to cover for you.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Let say Rielly wants 6.5m x 7 ..... do we agree to Rielly's ask knowing that Sandin could prove to be just as effective? I think at some point we have to throw Sandin to the wolves (give him full time duty with a responsible partner) and see what we have.
For me, it's less to do with Sandins progression and more to do with what Rielly will ask for. He's going to command more than 6.5/year. There will be a bidding war. If he's good next year, $8 million a year, maybe more wouldn't be a shock if he went to free agency. It only takes one GM. Is he worth that money? Absolutely not. I'd rather save that money, give Sandin the reigns and sign another Brodie.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Didn't he have a broken foot that left him out for like a substantial chunk of our season?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Didn't he have a broken foot that left him out for like a substantial chunk of our season?

He didn't break his foot until he was with the Marlies, at the start of their season which was a few weeks into the NHL season.

But yes that's one reason why he couldn't draw in sooner.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Being aggressive and pinching or attacking the puck carrier is not a negative if you have someone to cover for you.
Nope but doing those things at the wrong time is not good.
I see it as when he fully figures it out when he does pinch it will create offensive pressure for us or create a turnover. As he is now sometimes its resulting in his partner needing to cover and that's not needed when you are leading.
Kid is a stud and will get better, I'm just being cautious and think he needs a bit more seasoning before we dump him in a top 4 or bounce bogo or Dermott in the playoffs.
If he continues this learning curve, he might be able to bump Dermott when the playoffs start though

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Nope but doing those things at the wrong time is not good.
I see it as when he fully figures it out when he does pinch it will create offensive pressure for us or create a turnover. As he is now sometimes its resulting in his partner needing to cover and that's not needed when you are leading.
Kid is a stud and will get better, I'm just being cautious and think he needs a bit more seasoning before we dump him in a top 4 or bounce bogo or Dermott in the playoffs.
If he continues this learning curve, he might be able to bump Dermott when the playoffs start though

I don’t disagree, just the examples didn’t seem all that concerning to me. I wouldn’t be opposed to promoting him in the top-4, but only if someone starts to falter, and certainly not ridding back-up options. He needs to legit steal a spot and I don’t think he’s done that quite yet.

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I don’t disagree, just the examples didn’t seem all that concerning to me. I wouldn’t be opposed to promoting him in the top-4, but only if someone starts to falter, and certainly not ridding back-up options. He needs to legit steal a spot and I don’t think he’s done that quite yet.
Yes I wouldn't say I am concerned in the least,but agreed he had to steal a spot especially going into the playoffs.
I would like to see how he plays with bogo too. I liked the pairing with Dermott but I think having bogo with Sandin would be even better

Reactions: Its not your fault

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
He definitely needs to adjust to the speed and physicality of forecheckers -he threw the puck up the boards a couple times out of desperation- but he clearly processes the game at a high level and has that calm demeanor you always seem from star defensemen.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I’m just sitting back and watching Sandin play. That’s it. No scenarios running around in my head at all. Just kind of surprised he doesn’t look like he missed a beat. He was always good and you could see the heads up top end potential in the Ohl.
I was surprised we drafted him where we did so, i expected him to be good too.
Keefer and Management and the players are fine right now with playing him a regular shift in the playoffs. Thats a big jump. Keeper’ goin Rasmus

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think Sandin has earned his spot next year. But don't think he will play in playoffs unless there is an injury where he should be 1st guy in. With Bogo out til 2nd round he likely starts playoffs. Let him gets lots of ice and PP's in last few games. He needs da reps.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Absolutely LOVE watching this guy with the puck. So poised all over the ice, and so smart. He literally makes our other D look like idiots as far as play making goes. His IQ is unreal... and its not all about tape to tape etc, its about putting the puck in the right place at the right time... that could be a dump out, dump in, indirect pass...

I also love that he seems to like to play with some physicality. He is, in my opinion, already better than Dermott, Holl and Bogosian offensively. He does not seem be any kind of a liability defensively. Really want to see him replace Mo on PP1, though coach might be reluctant if they don't plan to play him in every PO game.

He's a keeper imo.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Smart, smart player. But man, being small and slow is bad combination. He makes it up with his IQ, though. He plays with a lot of poise.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I think i've even notice him rubbing off on Dermott a bit - swear i saw dermott making some plays with the puck the last couple of games that he hasn't been doing much at all of the last year or two.

Reactions: supermann_98

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Smart, smart player. But man, being small and slow is bad combination. He makes it up with his IQ, though. He plays with a lot of poise.

Yeah his IQ is unbelievable, I wouldn’t say he’s slow but he definitely can use a little more explosiveness. Hopefully it’s something he works on in the offseason and comes back even stronger. His potential is unreal

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think i've even notice him rubbing off on Dermott a bit - swear i saw dermott making some plays with the puck the last couple of games that he hasn't been doing much at all of the last year or two.

Dermott's showing some confidence on the right side.

HC7

May 2, 2018
He and Brodie just had a better period than Rielly and Brodie ever have. They dominated puck possession with smart passing, and off puck movement. I'm not sure they even gave up a shot while they were on the ice this period. He's better than Rielly both offensively and defensively already.

Reactions: ashs

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
He's great, keep feeding him minutes to end the season and see how he handles it. So far he's excelled in any situation

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Sandin also looks like he can hold his own defensively now, much more effective this stint. Kid should never leave the lineup again, clearly ready now.

Reactions: LeafGrief

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad