Tribute Rasmus Sandin Discussion Thread

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
If the Leafs can keep Rielly at a reasonable contract, we have to keep him. The contract extension is the big question mark.

He's going to make atleast $7 mil AAV and I just don't feel like that is a smart investment on a player that is probably not going to be essential for us. Mo has been a monster and arguably the backbone of this rebuild and helping bring the kids along but his defensive play and the amount of time he leaves his d-partners out to dry negates his offensive productivity. His play 2 seasons ago was stellar and he was a massive difference-maker for this team, however, since that season, he's consistently declined. Not sure if he's injured or his body is just slowing down and he's no longer skating as well as he used to or making the decisions he used to make as quickly as used to.

I like to compare us losing Rielly similar to the Raptors losing DeRozan. Both Rielly and DeRozan were focal points of the teams and at times the only reason why people had any hope for the Raptors and the Leafs. But unfortunately, their playing style and our dependence on them is out the shortfall. We can't use their skillsets to make our team better because their skillset isn't suitable for our needs. We need a 1C/ top pairing with players that are very good 2 way guys who can chip in offensively without being a liability on the backend. We have 2 very good players in Sandin and Brodie who can make up that top pair and each guy has the ability to chip in offense and carry the play up the ice without sacrificing their positioning or defense. That long term gives us a better chance for success IMO than to have a pure offensive guy like Rielly who has slowly become a defensive issue.

Sandin - Brodie --> Defensively sound, offensively creative/ able pairing that can eat up monster minutes. Can play PP/PK.
Muzz - Lilly --> Shutdown pair of reliable D-men who can play all situations and provide us with the grit and physicality we need. Can eat the 2nd most minutes. Can play PK.
Dermott - Holl --> Ideal pairing for Holl IMO because it's easier matchups and we can start both of them more in the O-zone. Soft minutes, less liability. Can fill in on the first 2 pairings short term. Can play PK.
Bogo --> Big rough tough guy who we can slot in against tougher opponents.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I wasn't kidding when I said he's the best Rasmus in his draft.
While I want to agree with you, the other Rasmus has been absolutely stellar this year on a team that has no supporting cast. He doesn't even have a good stable d-partner this year and has managed to carry that atrocious d-core around.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Trying to think of good comps.

Girard
Spurgeon
Ellis

All seem reasonable.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Trying to think of good comps.

Girard
Spurgeon
Ellis

All seem reasonable.

Ellis is the best IMO. Intelligent with the puck, smooth but not a burner, surprisingly fiesty but not a "grind it out" physical player, strong positional defense.

More offense and bigger than Spurgeon, not as quick as Girard

Reactions: unitedstars87

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Ellis is the best IMO. Intelligent with the puck, smooth but not a burner, surprisingly fiesty but not a "grind it out" physical player, strong positional defense.

More offense and bigger than Spurgeon, not as quick as Girard

You think Girard has a big speed edge? I think Sandin has similar edgework.

And is sandin actually bigger than Spurgeon?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Yes, Spurgeon's listed a 5'9 but I like that comp stylistically

Despite not being an explosive skater, he's got great edges and incredible balance. That with the poise, IQ, and skill with the puck is an excellent package.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Yeah I think he's faster straight away. My only worry with Sandin is he seems on the slow side of average in straightline speed, which may leave him exposed on retrievals.

And definitely. Spurgeon's overall effectiveness and ability to use leverage makes you forget how tiny he is, listed at 5'9 167 and that might be generous

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah I think he's faster straight away. My only worry with Sandin is he seems on the slow side of average in straightline speed, which may leave him exposed on retrievals.

And definitely. Spurgeon's overall effectiveness and ability to use leverage makes you forget how tiny he is, listed at 5'9 167 and that might be generous

Yeah Spurgeon is so solid out there hard to believe he's that tiny.

I wonder what Sandin is up to now. If he's added 10+ lbs to his original listed weight that would make him pretty solid.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yeah Spurgeon is so solid out there hard to believe he's that tiny.

I wonder what Sandin is up to now. If he's added 10+ lbs to his original listed weight that would make him pretty solid.

Spurgeon is the very reason why I cant take any worries about player size seriously. Looking at those numbers on paper tell you zero about their lower body strength. Spurgeon can out drive anyone he gets into a battle with

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This kid will be the reason Rielly is either traded or let go when he becomes a UFA.
Offense is supposed to be the thing that separates Rielly from our other defensemen yet Muzzin has almost identical production to Rielly at even strength.

I really, really hope they give Sandin the reigns on the PP.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Offense is supposed to be the thing that separates Rielly from our other defensemen yet Muzzin has almost identical production to Rielly at even strength.

I really, really hope they give Sandin the reigns on the PP.

At 5v5 since Muzzin joined the Leafs.

PlayerGPTOIPTS
Rielly1292442:1645
Muzzin1302342:4345
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

About as close as it gets.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
It would be terrible to let him go as UFA, they should trade him this summer.
This would definitely be the right thinking if we were a playoff bubble team still, but we’re not anymore.

If we were at the 2022 trade deadline, we’d be ecstatic to get a dman that despite Rielly’s faults, can impact the game like he can for the relatively small price we would garner by trading him in the offseason. He’s essentially our main rental for next season

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I said this months ago, Sandin has a higher hockey IQ than Reilly. I hope Keefe doesnt hesitate to reign in Reilly's minutes in the playoffs if he is making mistakes like usual. Reilly is extremely over rated and the PP1 exposes his lack of confidence, gun shy to shoot, hockey sense, ..he has no deception at all. Sandin is a tough, tough read, thats why he does well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->