Tribute Rasmus Sandin Discussion Thread

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Rasmus Sandin is a stud. He has always been that. He has played his last game with the AHL Marlies. He is an NHLer and the Leafs should play this smart. Mover Reilly and get a young dman in return or move Dermott. The off season is far off forget about it for now. Lets see Sandin QB the PP for a long playoff run. Love everything about this kid.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He looks good enough to start taking over for Reilly at certain points. He already got PP time and Ill predict he gets bigger minutes in the playoffs , potentially having Reilly on a 3rd pairing 5 on 5. He is already looking well beyond bottom pairing, Reilly is gone in the offseason, imo. Dermott can be re-signed for the 3rd pairing at 1 million or replaced.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He looks good enough to start taking over for Reilly at certain points. He already got PP time and Ill predict he gets bigger minutes in the playoffs , potentially having Reilly on a 3rd pairing 5 on 5. He is already looking well beyond bottom pairing, Reilly is gone in the offseason, imo. Dermott can be re-signed for the 3rd pairing at 1 million or replaced.
We have to get good value for Rielly, assuming his demands are more than he is making today, 1st rounder 2022 and a young big strong centre. Trade after Cup run and before expansion draft. Dermy is showing past 6 games he can play 2nd pair. In fact he has been getting 2nd pair minutes and PK minutes too. And he is our best performing D those 6 games.
Next years pairings
Muzz Brodie
Dermy Bogo
Sandin Holl
Hutton Lily
Protect Muzz, Brodie and Dermy in expansion draft after trading Rielly .. if Holl goes to Seattle oh well it is not a big loss as Lily can fill in

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
We have to get good value for Rielly, assuming his demands are more than he is making today, 1st rounder 2022 and a young big strong centre. Trade after Cup run and before expansion draft. Dermy is showing past 6 games he can play 2nd pair. In fact he has been getting 2nd pair minutes and PK minutes too. And he is our best performing D those 6 games.
Next years pairings
Muzz Brodie
Dermy Bogo
Sandin Holl
Hutton Lily
Protect Muzz, Brodie and Dermy in expansion draft after trading Rielly .. if Holl goes to Seattle oh well it is not a big loss as Lily can fill in

Dermott will get his chance in this run before the playoff to show his stuff. Hopefully he shines.
He isn't getting 2nd pair minutes though. He is avg just under 13 mins his last 6 games.
Had a PK run against Winnipeg but that was more circumstantial because I think Holl was gassed.
We will need him to PK some more with our top RHD PK guy out.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If we go far these playoffs, Rielly’s value will increase just through association with a good team showing. If Sandin can stick and show more of what he has so far, definitely look for trading partners for Rielly. His next contract may not be feasible with this team. Recouping some solid picks and prospects for him is the right thing to do.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Dermott will get his chance in this run before the playoff to show his stuff. Hopefully he shines.
He isn't getting 2nd pair minutes though. He is avg just under 13 mins his last 6 games.
Had a PK run against Winnipeg but that was more circumstantial because I think Holl was gassed.
We will need him to PK some more with our top RHD PK guy out.
He played up against better competition past 6 games and has excelled. Holl has been da worst defender on our team past 2-3 weeks. With Muzzy close behind. Good to see Keefer reward performance. And limit non-performers. Holl needs a couple games to rest and then we will see if he is just flat out fatigued, or more likely da truth which is as Muzzy fatigued, his true performance has shown through. Holl is flat out not very good. He is a 6/7th NHLer. Dermy is a solid 4th/5th and progressing upwards. I think everyone will see soon enough when Leafs leave Holl unprotected in expansion draft.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
He played up against better competition past 6 games and has excelled. Holl has been da worst defender on our team past 2-3 weeks. With Muzzy close behind. Good to see Keefer reward performance. And limit non-performers. Holl needs a couple games to rest and then we will see if he is just flat out fatigued, or more likely da truth which is as Muzzy fatigued, his true performance has shown through. Holl is flat out not very good. He is a 6/7th NHLer. Dermy is a solid 4th/5th and progressing upwards. I think everyone will see soon enough when Leafs leave Holl unprotected in expansion draft.
I think so too that holl will be odd man out.

Reactions: Obo

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

That Holl statement will make you a legend on these boards if true.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That Holl statement will make you a legend on these boards if true.
I have said it for years .. this is nothing new .. anyone who plays with Muzzy will look much better than they really are .. and now that Muzzy is exhausted and playing poorly it is showing through loud and clear where Holl really is .. look i don't dislike Holl I think he can help us .. but he is not as good as Dermy and Dermy still has a ways to go in his development .. no idea what Leafs will do but I expect Holl will be left unprotected .. if we lose him it will hurt a little but we have enough D now through draft and development to be fine

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Big fan of Sandin but the kid still needs a lot of development time before he can take reigns on meaningful minute.

He had a lot of praise for how he started in his last NHL stint but obviously showed his immaturity as games went one. Now he's a lot better today than that time, and looks ready for the NHL full time but in more of a sheltered role.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Big fan of Sandin but the kid still needs a lot of development time before he can take reigns on meaningful minute.

He had a lot of praise for how he started in his last NHL stint but obviously showed his immaturity as games went one. Now he's a lot better today than that time, and looks ready for the NHL full time but in more of a sheltered role.
I'm with you. He has a long way to go. Not sure he has the size and speed to be a top pairing guy but I'm sure hoping his skills and IQ overcome those factors one day. If he plays in the playoffs it will be interesting to see how he handles the forecheck in that intense atmosphere. I'm pulling for him to become the stud some in here are forecasting him as but I'll be happy if he becomes a good 2nd pairing or even 3rd pairing guy who excels on the powerplay.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I'm a huge fan of both Liljegren and Sandin's games, like the other post said his lack of a separation gear is all that's stopping him from being a superstar imo. If he was able to gain even just half a step on his top speed to me he reminds me of a young Duncan Keith, physicality and all.

I'm going to sit hear tho and compare Sandin to Liljegren because where in the AHL I'd say Liljegren looks more polished but in the NHL, in a small sample size, it's Sandin who's the better player.

He's definitely able to translate his decision making ability to the NHL quicker but Lilj has acknowledged that he didn't bring his entire game for fear of making mistakes, and Keefe said Lilj's game takes a little more time to adjust to the next level but it's only a matter of time.

Anyway, like I said I'm not going to take side as to who's better, the proof is in the pudding and next year I expect it to be like back in the day when we had all of Kaberle, McCabe, and Bryan Berard pre-injury. It was like "which of these guys is gonna be better?" ... and they were all good in their own way, just different

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad