Tribute Rasmus Sandin Discussion Thread

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Nope but doing those things at the wrong time is not good.
I see it as when he fully figures it out when he does pinch it will create offensive pressure for us or create a turnover. As he is now sometimes its resulting in his partner needing to cover and that's not needed when you are leading.
Kid is a stud and will get better, I'm just being cautious and think he needs a bit more seasoning before we dump him in a top 4 or bounce bogo or Dermott in the playoffs.
If he continues this learning curve, he might be able to bump Dermott when the playoffs start though

Fully agree, need to slow play your hand with really solid prospects on D like Sandin. It always pays to slow-cook those guys.
But he's definitely got a bright future, and he has skill, confidence and savvy, doesn't get too nervous or flustered, from what we've seen so far.

Reactions: saltming

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
We should have had this kid learning in a top-4 role awhile ago. Better late than never I guess.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
We should have had this kid learning in a top-4 role awhile ago. Better late than never I guess.
I mean he was injured. They slotted him into the lineup and gave him minutes as quickly as they could have. I think Sandin eventually ends up being the longterm D partner with Brodie. Rielly's most likely a goner after next year (this summer if Dubas is smart).

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Subban and McAvoy essentially started their NHL careers in the playoffs and hit the ground running.

No reason Sandin can't do the same. He's been very good, and I can't see any justification for keeping him out come playoffs even if we're fully healthy.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If the Pandemic didn’t hit us, this deployment is what Sandin would have been doing last year before the playoffs. As it stands, he lost a year in NHL experience, but gained a little more time to work on strength and just naturally mature. The bottom line is he is fully cooked and ready for solid minutes at the NHL level. I doubt he ever leaves the lineup again.

It remains to be seen how he handles playoff traffic in front of the net, but I’ve been impressed with his physicality in these few games. He always had that side to his game, could make the occasional big hit at the junior level, now his body is ready to do it at the NHL level.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He's got the IT factor. He's going to be a star. He thinks the game so well and his passing is a thing of beauty. His defense has already tightened up measurably from where it was a week ago.

We're going to have one of the best bluelines in the league next year. We've had a good defense this year, but watch how good it's going to be with Sandin in full time.

He's so good.

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
I was quite worried this was going to be a lost year for Sandin after the injury happened and he missed significant time. But he’s shown absolutely no rust and just looks fantastic, he’s so heads up, when the puck is on his stick I know good things are going to happen.

Reactions: Lumberg

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I mean he was injured. They slotted him into the lineup and gave him minutes as quickly as they could have. I think Sandin eventually ends up being the longterm D partner with Brodie. Rielly's most likely a goner after next year (this summer if Dubas is smart).

If the Leafs can keep Rielly at a reasonable contract, we have to keep him. The contract extension is the big question mark.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Subban and McAvoy essentially started their NHL careers in the playoffs and hit the ground running.

No reason Sandin can't do the same. He's been very good, and I can't see any justification for keeping him out come playoffs even if we're fully healthy.

And makar.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
It's not a small thing that this player was unaffected by missing several months. He may have even advanced while injured. How often does that happen?

Stinger8

Feb 16, 2021
Kid has a very bright future. Prediction he will have some bumps in the road, look bad, real bad on some occasions in the next year or two, he is still very young. When that happens don't lose your shyte, its all part of the process. This maybe hyperbolic but if he stays healthy and plays 10 years plus for the Leafs he will have some seriously gaudy stats when it is all said and done (he will be playing with some elite forwards).

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
If the Leafs can keep Rielly at a reasonable contract, we have to keep him. The contract extension is the big question mark.
Galaxy Brain: We re-sign Rielly but play him at forward.

Really though, if Rielly played RD more frequently/full time the decision would be a lot easier in my mind, next year and on we could run:

Muzzin - Rielly
Sandin - Brodie
Dermott - Liljegren

(Leave Holl exposed in the expansion draft)

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Sandin is a very very special puck moving defensemen. I love how we have the depth to play him sparingly right now, because I do think he will need a little more time to adjust to premier matchups. Even on the Marlies, he got caught with his pants down from time to time in his own end. Mainly his battles below the goal line along the boards when the opponent has the puck. He tends to get chasing, and just doesn't yet have that strength to pin them on the boards. That will likely come over time. His defending in transition is good, because he is such a solid skater it allows him to keep tight gaps up and down the ice. His decision making when going back on dump in's is exceptional. He has the ability to process the game at an elite level and it shows on plays like that. Can't count how many times he's completely shaken the oncoming forechecker with a slight change in direction, often times before he has even touched the puck. It makes for effortless breakouts thereafter. I have zero concerns with the puck on his tape. He seems to understand risk/reward unbelievably, and the times where I see him make plays where I am like "oh that's a bit risky", he seems to make them with ease. I said it earlier on this thread, I think he is the only player on our back end that can process the game at the same level as Mitch, AM34 and Willy. He has elite hockey sense IMO. It's a scary thought to think we are adding another major building block to this already potent core. And the best part is they are all locked in for 3 more years :nod:. I really don't see a limit to what he can achieve personally. Especially with the offensive support he will get when he dishes the biscuit. Unbelievable pick at 29 OA

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I know this has been said many times before, but I gotta say it again. Whether you like Dubas or not, you have give him a lot of credit for potentially drafting a top 2dman in the late first round. We needed this type of drafting to augment the talent in our forward positions.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It's not a small thing that this player was unaffected by missing several months. He may have even advanced while injured. How often does that happen?

Great point, it kinda tells you something about him , when he can miss almost an entire season and hit the ground running and play at a level equal to the guys who have played 50 games.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Really though, if Rielly played RD more frequently/full time the decision would be a lot easier in my mind, next year and on we could run:

Muzzin - Rielly
Sandin - Brodie
Dermott - Liljegren

(Leave Holl exposed in the expansion draft)
Hedman - Cernak
McDonagh - Savard
Sergachev - Schenn

Sergachev is the Lightning's #3 by TOI.

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Liljegren

Sandin can still play 22 minutes a night with this lineup on the "third pair". This would be a powerhouse defense core.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Hedman - Cernak
McDonagh - Savard
Sergachev - Schenn

Sergachev is the Lightning's #3 by TOI.

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Liljegren

Sandin can still play 22 minutes a night with this lineup on the "third pair". This would be a powerhouse defense core.
Fair enough

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3