Player Discussion Rasmus Ristolainen

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I agree that the target needs to be Cirelli. He is everything we need

DBTB actually just blogged about this:

The Lightning’s loss could be the Sabres’ gain

There’s a lot of interesting avenues the Sabres could explore in a trade with the Lightning. That’s what makes this trade idea a good topic to discuss. It could go a lot of different ways and involve a handful of players. It could even involve more than Ristolainen going to the Lightning from the Sabres end of the deal.

If the Sabres for example traded Ristolainen and another piece (prospect or draft pick) to the Lightning for Callahan, Cirelli, and Killorn that would free up around $5.5 million in cap space for them. Also takes one of the contracts they have to worry about in the future off their list in Cirelli.

They're basically speculating 2 cap dumps (or roster players depending on how you view their value), since moving only 1 cap dump would be a cap neutral move with Risto's salary coming back - Callahan/Killorn/Palat/Miller
And one of their young secondary pieces - Cernak/Cirelli/Sergachev/Gourde/Johnson

I've never been all aboard the move Risto train, but Cirelli is the exact type of 'make me move' piece that would really intrigue me.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
DBTB actually just blogged about this:

The Lightning’s loss could be the Sabres’ gain

They're basically speculating 2 cap dumps (or roster players depending on how you view their value), since moving only 1 cap dump would be a cap neutral move with Risto's salary coming back - Callahan/Killorn/Palat/Miller
And one of their young secondary pieces - Cernak/Cirelli/Sergachev/Gourde/Johnson

I've never been all aboard the move Risto train, but Cirelli is the exact type of 'make me move' piece that would really intrigue me.

Cool, we just need to make sure Callahan doesn't block coming here and Killorn has us on his trade list...The yearly losing Buffalo Sabres would need to be agreed by two players that is a liable desitination to come here...;)

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I have absolutely zero interest in trading Risto to Tampa Bay so he can become a great Dman while we get random mediocre players who will fall off a cliff once they get here.

zero interest if we aren't getting a player of Cirelli caliber back at a minimum.... all the other stuff tampa has is cap filler / trade balancers.

No Cirelli (or Cernak... which I think is a non starter) No Deal.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So who needs RHD? And what GM's are known to value throw-back type D-men?

In the East:
- There is the earlier report about Tampa. They're losing a bevvy of UDFA d-men. They need to create some cap space, and Botterill has been nothing if not accommodating in eating shitty contracts from other teams. Smoke... fire?
- The Flyers have only 1 RHD (Gudas) of note and a new coach. They have a quality selection of prospects, perhaps one of the best pools in the NHL, as well as scads of cap space. They could make a player-for-non-roster-asset deal.
- The Leafs. f*** the Leafs. No. Okay, now that I have that out of the way... No. Just. No.
- Florida from the GM perspective. Tallon still seems old school enough that there might be interest there.
-

In the West:
- Reports that Vancouver is seeking a younger RHD for their team combined with things like Benning signing Gudbranson to a deal he likely wasn't suited for (and yes, yes, he did trade him but the point remains...)
- Nashville has experience with a shooter-hitter type who gets caved in analytics from their years with Shea on the team. I wonder if they'd look at making a change to their blueline, with the scuttlebutt about PK being on the move. I'm not advocating it... but it could be a destination.
- The Oilers are constantly seeking RHD. They have cap issues, depth issues, not sure how they make a deal. But they have a need.
-

Who else? Is there someone else who has shown they fly in the face of analytics on defense? Maybe the Pens? Or is there a glaring need out there we haven't noticed yet?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

In the East:
- There is the earlier report about Tampa. They're losing a bevvy of UDFA d-men. They need to create some cap space, and Botterill has been nothing if not accommodating in eating ****ty contracts from other teams. Smoke... fire?
- The Flyers have only 1 RHD (Gudas) of note and a new coach. They have a quality selection of prospects, perhaps one of the best pools in the NHL, as well as scads of cap space. They could make a player-for-non-roster-asset deal.
- The Leafs. **** the Leafs. No. Okay, now that I have that out of the way... No. Just. No.
- Florida from the GM perspective. Tallon still seems old school enough that there might be interest there.
-

In the West:
- Reports that Vancouver is seeking a younger RHD for their team combined with things like Benning signing Gudbranson to a deal he likely wasn't suited for (and yes, yes, he did trade him but the point remains...)
- Nashville has experience with a shooter-hitter type who gets caved in analytics from their years with Shea on the team. I wonder if they'd look at making a change to their blueline, with the scuttlebutt about PK being on the move. I'm not advocating it... but it could be a destination.
- The Oilers are constantly seeking RHD. They have cap issues, depth issues, not sure how they make a deal. But they have a need.
-

Who else? Is there someone else who has shown they fly in the face of analytics on defense? Maybe the Pens? Or is there a glaring need out there we haven't noticed yet?

Dallas, Anaheim, San Jose, Winnipeg, Vegas, Rangers, Devils, Minnesota. Maybe these teams will be interested in Risto, one of them of course will go for the Karlsson.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

In the East:
- There is the earlier report about Tampa. They're losing a bevvy of UDFA d-men. They need to create some cap space, and Botterill has been nothing if not accommodating in eating ****ty contracts from other teams. Smoke... fire?
- The Leafs. **** the Leafs. No. Okay, now that I have that out of the way... No. Just. No.
-

In the West:
-

Who else? Sabres. We're just going to keep making this rebuild harder and harder.

In successive seasons Botterill is going to trade a #1 center and a young top 4 RHD. Both of which are incredibly hard to find.

Reactions: Grinder81 and slip

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Who else? Sabres. We're just going to keep making this rebuild harder and harder.

In successive seasons Botterill is going to trade a #1 center and a young top 4 RHD. Both of which are incredibly hard to find.
My biggest issue with a Risto trade: our coaches being incredibly stupid and using him in a way that exposed all of his flaws so glaringly that even the stupidest GM's could see them and his value is now as low as you can get. It is so low that there is actually an excellent chance the team will get destroyed in any trade. Our GM (Who gets wrecked in just about every trade he makes) makes that happening all but certain. TL,DR: If our next coach uses him correctly he has more value for us than what we would get back in a trade for him.

Reactions: dasaybz

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I would love to see someone overpay for Risto, but I'll settle for not getting hosed at this point.

Reactions: joshjull

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
Though the Sabres prefer summer trades, Risto's value might be better at the trade deadline. Probably not if he's getting run into the ground every game. Last chance for him to put it together.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
zero interest if we aren't getting a player of Cirelli caliber back at a minimum.... all the other stuff tampa has is cap filler / trade balancers.

No Cirelli (or Cernak... which I think is a non starter) No Deal.
I have a feeling that cirell would be a non starter for Tampa as well.... So throw that idea out of the window

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
If Ristolainen is back next season the Sabres need to drastically change his role

I think we can all agree less minutes, especially less even strength minutes, for Risto would be a positive step forward. The team finally has enough capable defencemen to share the work load.

This article swings back too far the other way... When we deployed the "RoR role", the conclusion wasn't that RoR needed to put in a sheltered role, the conclusion was that no one could succeed in his deployment. I know the comparison isn't the same, 1) RoR is a better player and 2) Risto's deployment isn't as bad as RoR's was, but Risto can absolutely play a top 4 role without being sheltered. We see plenty of low IQ defensemen around the league with lesser skills that contribute to team success. If/When we have a not bad coach and employ a logical overall defensive strategy, and Risto still gets caved in while on the ice, then I'll jump aboard the Risto = Phaneuf train.

Side note: I can't wait until the RAPM charts fad dies, it has got to be the single worst way to graphically illustrate individual impact using team metrics that I have ever seen.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This article swings back to far the other way... When we deployed the "RoR role", the conclusion wasn't that RoR needed to put in a sheltered role, the conclusion was that no one could succeed in his deployment. I know the comparison isn't the same, 1) RoR is a better player and 2) Risto's deployment isn't as bad as RoR's was, but Risto can absolutely play a top 4 role without being sheltered. We see plenty of low IQ defensemen around the league with lesser skills that contribute to team success. If/When we have a not bad coach and employ a logical overall defensive strategy, and Risto still gets caved in while on the ice, then I'll jump aboard the Risto = Phaneuf train.

Side note: I can't wait until the RAPM charts fad dies, it has got to be the single worst way to graphically illustrate individual impact using team metrics that I have ever seen.

Agreed all around and the bolded makes me wistful. It isn’t even about having nicer things, let’s just have things.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
There was an interview with Risto in the local paper, I'll translate his words for you if you're interested: https://www.ts.fi/urheilu/jaakiekko...nen+joutui+taas+pettymaan+Buffalon+NHLkauteen

On the season: "It was the toughest season (I/we) have had. It started well, and we were in playoff pace in mid season, but then we started to slide. The games got tougher and suddenly we were losing the one goal games that we had won earlier. This was my sixth season in Buffalo, and every year it gets more and more disappointing that we can't make the playoffs. I'd love to play in the playoffs. I just watched the Swedish league playoffs on tv and I got chills thinking about how it would feel to play in those games."

On his "post season vacation": "The season was so tough mentally that I didn't want to think about hockey for a while. I went to Manchester and Liverpool to see some football and then played some golf in Spain. I also told the National Team that I wouldn't play in the WC. I just didn't want to play hockey anymore this season."

On the possible trade rumours: "It's obvious that changes have to be made with the team. And if you look at our young roster, there aren't that many players who you would get something in return in a trade. It's more than likely that if a big trade happens, I would be part of that deal. That's realistic, but summer will tell where I'll play next season."

Asked about his own point production: "Points don't really matter. I would trade them for team wins. I've never cared much about point production. You're supposed to score some points when you get to play on the powerplay, anyway."

His trainer on Risto's summer traingin: "We'll focus on explosiveness and speed. We'll try to make sure Risto can play a long healthy career without any need for surgeries etc."

On lifting smaller weights: "I'll use the barbell only for bench press. I won't do any back squats or cleans anymore. My back didn't really like the heavier weights. My training will be similar to last years, which was a good summer training for me. I'll train a lot because that's pretty much what I want to do anyway. I'll hit the ice in Buffalo in July when I'm there for my friends' wedding.

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
That's depressing, it doesn't sound like he's that upset about maybe being traded. Can't blame him for feeling that way-and he could go to a healthier team

Reactions: Chainshot

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
There was an interview with Risto in the local paper, I'll translate his words for you if you're interested: https://www.ts.fi/urheilu/jaakiekko...nen+joutui+taas+pettymaan+Buffalon+NHLkauteen

On the season: "It was the toughest season (I/we) have had. It started well, and we were in playoff pace in mid season, but then we started to slide. The games got tougher and suddenly we were losing the one goal games that we had won earlier. This was my sixth season in Buffalo, and every year it gets more and more disappointing that we can't make the playoffs. I'd love to play in the playoffs. I just watched the Swedish league playoffs on tv and I got chills thinking about how it would feel to play in those games."

On his "post season vacation": "The season was so tough mentally that I didn't want to think about hockey for a while. I went to Manchester and Liverpool to see some football and then played some golf in Spain. I also told the National Team that I wouldn't play in the WC. I just didn't want to play hockey anymore this season."

On the possible trade rumours: "It's obvious that changes have to be made with the team. And if you look at our young roster, there aren't that many players who you would get something in return in a trade. It's more than likely that if a big trade happens, I would be part of that deal. That's realistic, but summer will tell where I'll play next season."

Asked about his own point production: "Points don't really matter. I would trade them for team wins. I've never cared much about point production. You're supposed to score some points when you get to play on the powerplay, anyway."

His trainer on Risto's summer traingin: "We'll focus on explosiveness and speed. We'll try to make sure Risto can play a long healthy career without any need for surgeries etc."

On lifting smaller weights: "I'll use the barbell only for bench press. I won't do any back squats or cleans anymore. My back didn't really like the heavier weights. My training will be similar to last years, which was a good summer training for me. I'll train a lot because that's pretty much what I want to do anyway. I'll hit the ice in Buffalo in July when I'm there for my friends' wedding.
You're welcome in advance St Louis.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
That's depressing, it doesn't sound like he's that upset about maybe being traded. Can't blame him for feeling that way-and he could go to a healthier team
I wouldn't compare incompetence to ilness regarding a sports organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad