Player Discussion Rasmus Ristolainen

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Every time we start talking Brayden Point I can't help but think what a blessing it is that we drafted Brycen Martin five spots ahead of him.
giphy.gif

Ouch....

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
I don't see the reason we need to give up to our of our young Dmen though. I am all on board for that type of a player, but he isn't leaving Tampa without some sort of a salary dump and that should take McCabe off the table immediately. I should hope that Risto, Mitts, 1st will get us Point, Ryan Callahans 5.8 million.

Which raises the question as to whether or not we can afford to take on that salary for a year?

I don't think McCabe has nearly as much value as we may think. He kind of is what he is at this point - An inconsistent, but physical, #5.

Mittlestadt is a great young piece, but is still a total wild card at this point. He didn't take a huge step forward this year, so I have to imagine there are some tempered expectations for him around the league. I think his ceiling is as a 2C personally (never was a huge Casey guy, but he definitely could still develop into a speedy, Top 6 player and PP halfwall ace).

Ristolainen's value is high, but not nearly as high as even a year or two ago. If we got Point for that package, I'd dance in the streets.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
“I wonder if Tampa is one of those teams that takes a long look at Ristolainen from Buffalo....

First of all Buffalo is going to want something for him, there is a market building for him out there...”

Palat, Killorn, Callahan and maybe Sergachev to not have to pay him next contract. Not all of them, just throwing those ideas out there. - Friedman

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
“I wonder if Tampa is one of those teams that takes a long look at Ristolainen from Buffalo....

First of all Buffalo is going to want something for him, there is a market building for him out there...”

Palat, Killorn, Callahan and maybe Sergachev to not have to pay him next contract. Not all of them, just throwing those ideas out there.

Palat is still a good defensive forward, but his offensive game has completely evaporated, but 3 years, ages 28-30 seasons, is doable... Unfortunately Palat has a full NTC. So... you can cross him off the list

Killorn is at the age where acquiring 4 years/4.45 per makes very little sense (do we really want ages 30-33)? Regardless, he also has a full NTC.

I imagine Callahan is part of the value equation in any Risto deal to get an actual player of value. He has a 16 team NTC. I imagine he'd waive for Buffalo if it was agreed that Buffalo would buy him out, that would result in 2.6 dead in 19-20, and 1.6 dead in 2020-21.

Sergachev is definitely someone I expect Tampa to shop. But I do not think we should be on the buyer list. We've got the offensive/puckmover/PP QB portion of our D core pretty locked in (Dahlin, Pilut, Montour) IMO. We need D that D, and Sergachev isn't that.

JT Miller remains the obvious salary matching piece of the move. But it's Cirelli who Botts HAS to hold out for. If you're not getting a piece that addresses a long term issue, then don't bother trading with Tampa.

Botts needs to hold firm. Cirelli, or there's nothing to talk about.

Cirelli, Miller, Callahan
for
Risto, McCabe, Erod

Olofsson-Eichel-JT Miller
Skinner-Cirelli-Reinhart
Weal-Mitts-Nylander
Smith-Larsson-Carpenter

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Palat is still a good defensive forward, but his offensive game has completely evaporated, but 3 years, ages 28-30 seasons, is doable... Unfortunately Palat has a full NTC. So... you can cross him off the list

Killorn is at the age where acquiring 4 years/4.45 per makes very little sense (do we really want ages 30-33)? Regardless, he also has a full NTC.

I imagine Callahan is part of the value equation in any Risto deal to get an actual player of value. He has a 16 team NTC. I imagine he'd waive for Buffalo if it was agreed that Buffalo would buy him out, that would result in 2.6 dead in 19-20, and 1.6 dead in 2020-21.

Sergachev is definitely someone I expect Tampa to shop. But I do not think we should be on the buyer list. We've got the offensive/puckmover/PP QB portion of our D core pretty locked in (Dahlin, Pilut, Montour) IMO. We need D that D, and Sergachev isn't that.

JT Miller remains the obvious salary matching piece of the move. But it's Cirelli who Botts HAS to hold out for. If you're not getting a piece that addresses a long term issue, then don't bother trading with Tampa.

for
Risto, McCabe, Erod

Skinner-Cirelli-Reinhart
Weal-Mitts-Nylander
Smith-Larsson-Carpenter

What I put after the quotes was the summary of what Friedman suggested. Those weren’t my ideas.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

for
Risto, McCabe, Erod

Skinner-Cirelli-Reinhart
Weal-Mitts-Nylander
Smith-Larsson-Carpenter

Gourde possible / wanted?

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

for
Risto, McCabe, Erod

Skinner-Cirelli-Reinhart
Weal-Mitts-Nylander
Smith-Larsson-Carpenter
Swap Miller with Gourde and I could get behind the deal. Cirelli is a very very good young player. I'm not a huge Miller fan, Gourde is a little feller but he scores goals in the greasy areas and has what I view as a better offensive skillset.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Swap Miller with Gourde and I could get behind the deal. Cirelli is a very very good young player. I'm not a huge Miller fan, Gourde is a little feller but he scores goals in the greasy areas and has what I view as a better offensive skillset.

I doubt we are getting Gourde AND Cirelli without a significant add.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
@Jame what happened to Palat this year? He seems to have dropped off significantly from a quick glance.

He was always the Jochen to the more skilled players. He’s no longer playing with Kuch. He’s always had a noodle for a shot.

If we acquired him it would be another on the list of players that I advocated for that we acquired 2-3 years too late.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON

for
Risto, McCabe, Erod

Skinner-Cirelli-Reinhart
Weal-Mitts-Nylander
Smith-Larsson-Carpenter

If Botts could pull that off my faith in him would be restored. Regardless if Risto goes to Tampa and turns it around because he sure as hell ain’t doing it here. That makes our team better and that’s what matters most.

On a side note I’d pass on Weal. Rather have a bigger more physical presence on the third. Would like to see Girgs there to see if he can rekindle his tank years scoring.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If Botts could pull that off my faith in him would be restored. Regardless if Risto goes to Tampa and turns it around because he sure as hell ain’t doing it here. That makes our team better and that’s what matters most.

On a side note I’d pass on Weal. Rather have a bigger more physical presence on the third. Would like to see Girgs there to see if he can rekindle his tank years scoring.

I’d sign Weal to be a our middle 6 center and alleviate Mitts. Weal’s really good. Underrated.

upload_2019-4-18_20-7-16.jpeg

Regardless of what else we do in the offseason... I want Weal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad