Player Discussion Rasmus Ristolainen

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I'm not sure they cleared him to resume playing activity. The way I read it is, your free of Covid, now go see your team doctor's for more clearances. I am very surprised they haven't put him on LTIR.
Myocarditis - Diagnosis and treatment - Mayo Clinic

Early diagnosis is key to preventing long-term heart damage. After a physical examination, your doctor might order one or more tests to confirm that you have myocarditis and determine its severity.

Tests might include:
  • Electrocardiogram (ECG). This noninvasive test shows your heart's electrical patterns and can detect abnormal rhythms.
  • Chest X-ray. An X-ray image shows the size and shape of your heart, as well as whether you have fluid in or around the heart that might indicate heart failure.
  • MRI. Cardiac MRI will show your heart's size, shape and structure. This test can show signs of inflammation of the heart muscle.
  • Echocardiogram. Sound waves create moving images of the beating heart. An echocardiogram might detect enlargement of your heart, poor pumping function, valve problems, a clot within the heart or fluid around your heart.
  • Blood tests. These measure white and red blood cell counts, as well as levels of certain enzymes that indicate damage to your heart muscle. Blood tests can also detect antibodies against viruses and other organisms that might indicate a myocarditis-related infection.
  • Cardiac catheterization and endomyocardial biopsy. A small tube (catheter) is inserted into a vein in your leg or neck and threaded into your heart. In some cases, doctors use a special instrument to remove a tiny sample of heart muscle tissue (biopsy) for analysis in the lab to check for inflammation or infection.

He'll get the blood work, ECG, and ECHO. If they find any abnormal results they'll send him to the zoo to use the big MRI machine.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I'm not sure they cleared him to resume playing activity. The way I read it is, your free of Covid, now go see your team doctor's for more clearances. I am very surprised they haven't put him on LTIR.

https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2020-21/2020-21PositiveTestProtocol.pdf

Any player that had a positive test and had symptoms is not allowed to do any physical exercise for 14 days. Once that window has passed, AND they have cleared the isolation protocols, they can work out, but they CANNOT practice or play again until the cardiac tests are complete, and signed off by both the cardiologist and team doctor. *

*(Assuming the NHL is following it's own rules , which we know is always questionable because NHL.)

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Ristolainen Discusses His COVID Experience
He also discussed how he is still facing exhaustion, sleeping 12 hours a night and feeling as though he only slept five minutes, and how even doing small tasks is still incredibly taxing.

If I was Terry Pegula, I'd take a hit on the lifestyle fund and offer to charter a plane to take Risto back to Finland. Get him where he'll be most comfortable. He'll recover faster there.

Reactions: joshjull

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Ristolainen Discusses His COVID Experience
He also discussed how he is still facing exhaustion, sleeping 12 hours a night and feeling as though he only slept five minutes, and how even doing small tasks is still incredibly taxing.

If I was Terry Pegula, I'd take a hit on the lifestyle fund and offer to charter a plane to take Risto back to Finland. Get him where he'll be most comfortable. He'll recover faster there.
In the Finnish article, he also told in Finnish:

When I had chest pains, it felt like my heart was splitting apart when going up the stairs.

From a dude that played ~28 minutes every night.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Anyone else notice a more “stay at home” tendency to Risto’s game lately? I feel like Bryson is the one on that pairing taking all the risks.

Risto is a +9 since we snapped the winless streak

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Anyone else notice a more “stay at home” tendency to Risto’s game lately? I feel like Bryson is the one on that pairing taking all the risks.

Risto is a +9 since we snapped the winless streak

Considering he got a half breakaway as a defenseman in his game before last I'd say no. I just think hes been better in general and returning to his pre-covid form.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad