Friedman: Rasmus Ristolainen has a lot of potential buyers this summer

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
The line for Risto seekers is going to be at least a dozen GMs long because the old school, eye ball test type are gonna see a young, physical, puck moving Dman, who, as I've said many times, would be much better used in a 2nd pairing, sheltered minutes situation. Hes never had that chance in Buffalo and needs a change..

If Tampa is as heavy about him as they were at the deadline, then its gonna cost them. Both in terms of us taking a contract from them to make money work, and a trade premium in the division. No way they make it happen between the teams unless Cirelli is in the deal. Cirelli, Callahan, another prospect and a pick for Risto and a prospect

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The line for Risto seekers is going to be at least a dozen GMs long because the old school, eye ball test type are gonna see a young, physical, puck moving Dman, who, as I've said many times, would be much better used in a 2nd pairing, sheltered minutes situation. Hes never had that chance in Buffalo and needs a change..

If Tampa is as heavy about him as they were at the deadline, then its gonna cost them. Both in terms of us taking a contract from them to make money work, and a trade premium in the division. No way they make it happen between the teams unless Cirelli is in the deal. Cirelli, Callahan, another prospect and a pick for Risto and a prospect

I can't see Tampa trading Cirelli straight up for Risto let alone adding to him. A deal would more likely be centered around Miller or Gourde.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I can't see Tampa trading Cirelli straight up for Risto let alone adding to him. A deal would more likely be centered around Miller or Gourde.
I think there's some pieces that could be added to Gourde that might make the offer worthwhile for Buffalo. Problem being Lightning fans immediately pull Foote off the table and then usually expect Buffalo to take Callahan in the deal as well. Which shifts the value immensely. To take on that amount of salary there's going to have to be a very steep price paid.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think there's some pieces that could be added to Gourde that might make the offer worthwhile for Buffalo. Problem being Lightning fans immediately pull Foote off the table and then usually expect Buffalo to take Callahan in the deal as well. Which shifts the value immensely. To take on that amount of salary there's going to have to be a very steep price paid.

Why would we add Foote to Gourde? Gourde for Risto is close to a one for one deal, 2nd line wing for 2nd pair defender. Not everyone tries to add Callahan but it would make some sense for both teams if he was involved. Tampa needs to shed salary and Buffalo needs more depth and could use help on the PK. Callahan would be 10th amongst Buffalo forwards for points while playing only 54 games, he would be 7th in p/60 on Buffalo, so he would be a good add to the 3/4th line. We also aren't asking for a return on Callahan and I would be willing to take back Sobotko or Hunwick, preferably Hunwick.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Why would we add Foote to Gourde? Gourde for Risto is close to a one for one deal, 2nd line wing for 2nd pair defender. Not everyone tries to add Callahan but it would make some sense for both teams if he was involved. Tampa needs to shed salary and Buffalo needs more depth and could use help on the PK. Callahan would be 10th amongst Buffalo forwards for points while playing only 54 games, he would be 7th in p/60 on Buffalo, so he would be a good add to the 3/4th line. We also aren't asking for a return on Callahan and I would be willing to take back Sobotko or Hunwick, preferably Hunwick.

I see a potential trade with Tampa being either a Cirelli and Callahan or a Gourde and Foote type of trade. We need a Cirelli as the the 2C or Foote as a future Top 4. We can take Palat back as well as part of a larger trade that includes Hunwick.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Most people would agree that defenseman are more valuable than wingers. So I don't view Gourde as having similar value to Ristolainen. I don't dispute that Callahan would have some utility for Buffalo, but he's vastly overpaid and dumping contracts like that usually cost a pretty penny. Obviously taking someone like Sobotka or Hunwick would help some. I think this will all revolve around just how anxious Botterill is to move Ristolainen. Maybe some of the "lesser" prospects like ABB, Katchouk and Stephens entice him. Personally I'd hope he'd hold out for higher end pieces.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I see a potential trade with Tampa being either a Cirelli and Callahan or a Gourde and Foote type of trade. We need a Cirelli as the the 2C or Foote as a future Top 4. We can take Palat back as well as part of a larger trade that includes Hunwick.

We wouldn't trade Foote for Karlsson or McDonagh, we sure as heck aren't for Risto especially on top of Gourde. Cirelli has to be off the table too, too valuable to how we play and cost controlled. The main piece will be a Palat or Johnson if they waive if not Miller or Gourde. If it's any of those four the add will be minimal at best as they are all proven top 6 forwards and the cap will be close to nuetral.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Most people would agree that defenseman are more valuable than wingers. So I don't view Gourde as having similar value to Ristolainen. I don't dispute that Callahan would have some utility for Buffalo, but he's vastly overpaid and dumping contracts like that usually cost a pretty penny. Obviously taking someone like Sobotka or Hunwick would help some. I think this will all revolve around just how anxious Botterill is to move Ristolainen. Maybe some of the "lesser" prospects like ABB, Katchouk and Stephens entice him. Personally I'd hope he'd hold out for higher end pieces.

I agree most defenseman are valued higher but it seems like Botterill is actively looking to move him. That has to factor in a bit as well as his defensive play being a bit underwhelming lately. We are also actively looking to move salary but not necessarily Gourde or Miller.

Those guys you listed I wouldn't call "lesser" prospects, they are 3 of our top 5 forward prospects. I don't feel we will be that desperate to add a significant piece to move Callahan, we would add a real lesser prospect like Yan, Sommpi, Colton or Lohin type forward or a 3rd or 4th round pick. We aren't looking for any kind of return on him, so a bottom 6 forward + mid pick/prospect for future considerations.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY

Well, then I'm not dealing with Tampa. They need cap relief, and we can provide that. They also need a RHD, and we provide that also. Pays a cost to be doing business within division. And Tampa has Alex Boulet ready to fill that spot

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
We wouldn't trade Foote for Karlsson or McDonagh, we sure as heck aren't for Risto especially on top of Gourde. Cirelli has to be off the table too, too valuable to how we play and cost controlled. The main piece will be a Palat or Johnson if they waive if not Miller or Gourde. If it's any of those four the add will be minimal at best as they are all proven top 6 forwards and the cap will be close to nuetral.

Times have changed. Tampa is the team that just crapped out in the playoffs, Tampa is the team with the Cap crunch and Point being potential exposed to an offer sheet. Tampa is the team that is losing their two RHD. Buffalo is the one who has the young, physical, point producing RHD and willing to take a dump in Callaghan or Palat. Give me a break. I don't care who Tampa doesn't want to trade.
Sabres can wait for offers.

Reactions: Weiss1604

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Times have changed. Tampa is the team that just crapped out in the playoffs, Tampa is the team with the Cap crunch and Point being potential exposed to an offer sheet. Tampa is the team that is losing their two RHD. Buffalo is the one who has the young, physical, point producing RHD and willing to take a dump in Callaghan or Palat. Give me a break. I don't care who Tampa doesn't want to trade.
Sabres can wait for offers.

Man, Syracuse is down 2-0 in there series. If they lose next game and are swept what an absolute disaster for the Tampa organization. They are really going to have to re evaluate their organization this offseason after so much regular season success both teams have fallen completely on their faces in the playoffs.

Who knows who becomes available for trade from that organization.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Man, Syracuse is down 2-0 in there series. If they lose next game and are swept what an absolute disaster for the Tampa organization. They are really going to have to re evaluate their organization this offseason after so much regular season success both teams have fallen completely on their faces in the playoffs.

Who knows who becomes available for trade from that organization.
Yzerman walks to Detroit as well....

Reactions: Weiss1604

chi777

Feb 23, 2006
Teams should be falling all over themselves to trade or Risto based on the precedent that's been set by the Sabre's moves from last offseason.

Trade or ROR - Get yourself a Selke finalist.

Pick up Lenher - Get yourself a Vezina finalist.

Trade for Risto - Norris finalist???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad