Friedman: Rasmus Ristolainen has a lot of potential buyers this summer

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Well, then I'm not dealing with Tampa. They need cap relief, and we can provide that. They also need a RHD, and we provide that also. Pays a cost to be doing business within division. And Tampa has Alex Boulet ready to fill that spot

Buffalo is not the only team that can provide cap relief and has potential RD available. We won't pay a premium to move cap or get that RD. It also seems like Risto is being shopped like O'Reilly was last year and you didn't get the return you wanted because teams knew you wanted him gone.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I agree most defenseman are valued higher but it seems like Botterill is actively looking to move him. That has to factor in a bit as well as his defensive play being a bit underwhelming lately. We are also actively looking to move salary but not necessarily Gourde or Miller.

Those guys you listed I wouldn't call "lesser" prospects, they are 3 of our top 5 forward prospects. I don't feel we will be that desperate to add a significant piece to move Callahan, we would add a real lesser prospect like Yan, Sommpi, Colton or Lohin type forward or a 3rd or 4th round pick. We aren't looking for any kind of return on him, so a bottom 6 forward + mid pick/prospect for future considerations.
Yeah I just don't see eye to eye with you on player valuations. No one is taking on all of Callahan's salary for a nothing prospect or pick. Taking a garbage deal back helps, but it wouldn't be enough for me. Those guys I listed as "lesser" prospects simply because they aren't your top prospect (Foote) and although they are trending well aren't high draft picks with the usual associated hype. I'd hope Botterill isn't in a rush to move Ristolainen especially to a division rival for an underwhelming return. After that disastrous O'Reilly deal I'm not all that optimistic he won't. Given the scarcity of good top 4 RHD, there should be a good market for him despite his warts. If TB is only offering 2nd line Wingers for him straight up that's a super easy pass for me.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Buffalo is not the only team that can provide cap relief and has potential RD available. We won't pay a premium to move cap or get that RD. It also seems like Risto is being shopped like O'Reilly was last year and you didn't get the return you wanted because teams knew you wanted him gone.
So who are the rumored RHD that TB will pursue and get on the cheap? Toronto desperately needed a top 4 RHD and instead set their sights on Muzzin because prices were set so high. Who will take on Callahan for nothing picks and prospects? Will Callahan agree to be traded to that team? I think TB can move out the salary to re-up Point. Miller can get a pick, Callahan can always be bought out. I wouldn't expect that you can both dump salary and rob teams of valuable players. It does happen from time to time, but usually you have to give to get.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So who are the rumored RHD that TB will pursue and get on the cheap? Toronto desperately needed a top 4 RHD and instead set their sights on Muzzin because prices were set so high. Who will take on Callahan for nothing picks and prospects? Will Callahan agree to be traded to that team? I think TB can move out the salary to re-up Point. Miller can get a pick, Callahan can always be bought out. I wouldn't expect that you can both dump salary and rob teams of valuable players. It does happen from time to time, but usually you have to give to get.

There's players like Braun, Faulk, Green or Tanev who all could be available. We could still resign Stralman or Girardi. We have Cernak at 21 and Foote at 20 who will be the long term RD in the top 4. We really don't need to get someone like Risto unless the deal works for us. We we're looking to add a RD and it seemed Buffalo may have been shopping him that's why we have been linked but we aren't going to pay a premium when we can wait a year and Foote should be able to play in the top 4. We can use a one year stop gap until then.

I don't know who would take on Callahan as I don't know how every teams cap situation is but the Rangers might be able to fit him, I believe the Islanders and Devils have room. Not sure any team would say no to a decent bottom 6 vet forward and a pick or prospect for nothing? We can still take some cap back or retain in a Callahan deal, we don't need to dump it all especially if we will be making additional moves with Miller/Palat possibly.

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
So many awful theories and offers on Risto in this thread. I’ll pass and let the rest of you fight over Sustrs and Petrovics. Maybe one of the lucky ones can get the privilege of paying Tyler Myers 6m over 6...

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
Lol...go with it if it fits your argument. It doesn’t, mind you, make it the least bit accurate.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

I'd argue the reason ROR went for so cheap is because of the bonus money St Louis paid... that and our GM being a dumbass. So while we the fans were wrong on the return ...i think its safe to say the high demand Buffalo fans were wanting for ROR was rightfully justified

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
If Dallas can continue their good play and get to the WCF I'd happily deal the higher of the WPG/DAL 1st + Namestnikov for Risto

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't get why he gets so much attention. He's been fed minutes on a crap team for years. He's not all that good defensively.

There should be zero reason for Buffalo to move him if he was.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Willy Nylander for Risto?

Both guys need a change of scenery. Nylander might get run out of town by the ways he's played this season and playoff

Reactions: JohnnyPepperoni

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I think it's more a case he probably isn't in the best situation for him to have full use. He seems to get a decent amount of points so if you can get him on a team that covers his mistakes or has good structure he could take his game up to that next level

As for potential trades if Trouba is willing to sign with the Sabres, I think a 1 for 1 deal makes alot of sense

If Trouba were willing to sign with the Sabres, there would be a significant plus going Winnipeg’s way as Trouba is a lot better than Ristolainen. And that’s no diss on Ristolainen as I do like him as a player.

Personally think Trouba winds up in Philadelphia. Everything about him just screams Flyers’ type of player.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If Trouba were willing to sign with the Sabres, there would be a significant plus going Winnipeg’s way as Trouba is a lot better than Ristolainen. And that’s no diss on Ristolainen as I do like him as a player.

Personally think Trouba winds up in Philadelphia. Everything about him just screams Flyers’ type of player.
Trouba to me, seems like a guy that just wants to get paid. So if he gets to a team that is willing to meet his demands, he'll go there.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Trouba to me, seems like a guy that just wants to get paid. So if he gets to a team that is willing to meet his demands, he'll go there.

If he were just looking to get paid, he’d have likely re-signed already because the Jets have been trying to get him signed long term. Jets would rather not actively try and move their top pairing RHD, but his unwillingness to sign is forcing their hand.

I don’t doubt for one second that the Jets are willing to pay him. He just wants to be on an East coast American based team.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If he were just looking to get paid, he’d have likely re-signed already because the Jets have been trying to get him signed long term. Jets would rather not actively try and move their top pairing RHD, but his unwillingness to sign is forcing their hand.

I don’t doubt for one second that the Jets are willing to pay him. He just wants to be on an East coast American based team.
I don't think the Jets wanted to meet his demands of 7m+ or whatever insane amount he wanted. Because the guy wants upwards of that from the reports that were out during that whole debacle. He signed because it was stupid of him to even try to sit out that long, that hurts value, not increase it.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Lily is entering bust stage and Kadri is a nut case. Pass.
Kadri is good but suspensions are now a cloud over him. Next one is eight games and then 10-12. This will ruin his career. And his value.

Girgy value is close to nil now -3rd or 4th and maybe even 5th. Grinder. Sandin has to cone other way for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad