Friedman: Rasmus Ristolainen has a lot of potential buyers this summer

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Moving a 45 point Dman for a 27 point winger is dumb now?

Calling Nylander a 27 point winger based off a shortened season, when he's already had multiple 60 point seasons is funny.

I hope other GMs are like you and evaluate Risto based on pointz.

I'm not even super high on Will but he's a better player than Risto.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He's Jack Johnson 2.0

He is a significantly better hockey player than Jack Johnson.

In any given year, there are 25-30 defensemen in the NHL who score at least 40 points. Ristolainen is among a small handful of players who've hit that benchmark in each of the last 4 seasons. His fancy stats (SCF% and HDCF%) aren't all that bad when you consider the role he plays, the team he plays it on, and the fact that he's generally paired with partners who are complete tire fires --- though both numbers are still below 50%, it's not by much. He's not the elite shutdown defenseman Buffalo has been using him as, but he's a damn good hockey player, and I have absolutely no doubt in my mind the Sabres will look like morons for trading him when he goes to a team that actually understands how to leverage/use its players.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
His possession numbers scare me, but would love to see a top 4 of:

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Ristolainen

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I saw him in person 8/9 times this season with the Marlies and he was horrible the majority
of the games. Really doubt his hockey IQ. Offensively he is ok. My opinion and I don't want him.
Sandin on the other hand looked fantastic.
Fair opinion, but he is far from entering bust stage yet.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think Anaheim is a great fit for Risto. There's a big need for offense from the back end and someone to man the top of the PP. I could see Fowler-Risto making a good second pairing with Lindholm-Manson getting the tougher defensive assignments.

Just not really sure what we would offer.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Anaheim is a great fit for Risto. There's a big need for offense from the back end and someone to man the top of the PP. I could see Fowler-Risto making a good second pairing with Lindholm-Manson getting the tougher defensive assignments.

If Fowler can bounce back, which I am confident he can, that could be a very solid paring. Not sure what Buffalo would need to make this happen.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
His possession numbers scare me, but would love to see a top 4 of:

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Ristolainen

If I made a short list of three or four teams that I could see being interested in Risto, Dallas is on the list. The question is what Dallas would give up to make it happen.

If Fowler can bounce back, which I am confident he can, that could be a very solid paring. Not sure what Buffalo would need to make this happen.

I assume Rakell, Comtois, Steel, and Groulx would all be of interest to Buffalo. Which of those are off-limits?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Vancouver would certainly have interest. Based on what I'm reading in here, however, the Canucks wouldn't have the pieces to get it done. Horvat, Boeser and Pettersson are non-starters, obviously.

PeguffaloSabres

Aug 7, 2011

Matching up with Anaheim would be somewhat challenging, given the needs and position each club is in. I can't see a single Anaheim fan willing to give up Rakell, nor does it make sense for the long term vision of the team.

Build a trade around Kase and Risto. Comtois and Sharks 1st.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Moving a 45 point Dman for a 27 point winger is dumb now?

Yes, it is dumb on Toronto's part. Unless of course, you are saying that Ehlers is now only a 37 point winger and his trade value should be that of a 37 point winger as well?

PeguffaloSabres

Aug 7, 2011
Vancouver would certainly have interest. Based on what I'm reading in here, however, the Canucks wouldn't have the pieces to get it done. Horvat, Boeser and Pettersson are non-starters, obviously.

yeah that's a tough one. It would never happen, but what about Risto and 7 for Horvat and Tanev.

Reactions: Chainshot

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
If I made a short list of three or four teams that I could see being interested in Risto, Dallas is on the list. The question is what Dallas would give up to make it happen.

I assume Rakell, Comtois, Steel, and Groulx would all be of interest to Buffalo. Which of those are off-limits?

I can't see moving Steel, he'll be counted upon to center a scoring line next year.

Rakell really should be unavailable due to being the most proven scorer on a team starved for scoring. Maybe the Ducks entertain moving him if they are really confident in their young winger group.

The Ducks have three young big body wingers vying for ice time in the top 9 moving forward - Ritchie, Comtois and Jones. I think they would be most likely to move Ritchie out of three. It would be tough to part with Comtois given the scoring potential he's demonstrated at a young age.

Groulx I would have to assume would fall under the "good prospect but absolutely available in a deal that makes sense for our roster" category.

Reactions: Leonardo87

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW

No idea to know what we have available until the playoffs are over and a decision is made on re-signing Zucc. If we advance to the 3rd round and keep Zucc, that's our next two first round picks, so I wouldn't see us being able to make a trade work.

I'd imagine Buffalo would want Roope Hintz in the deal, and that just isn't worth it from Dallas' perspective.

PeguffaloSabres

Aug 7, 2011
I can't see moving Steel, he'll be counted upon to center a scoring line next year.

Rakell really should be unavailable due to being the most proven scorer on a team starved for scoring. Maybe the Ducks entertain moving him if they are really confident in their young winger group.

The Ducks have three young big body wingers vying for ice time in the top 9 moving forward - Ritchie, Comtois and Jones. I think they would be most likely to move Ritchie out of three. It would be tough to part with Comtois given the scoring potential he's demonstrated at a young age.

Groulx I would have to assume would fall under the "good prospect but absolutely available in a deal that makes sense for our roster" category.
I think the Sabres will be looking for players like Ritchie this summer. Clearly ANA adds, but Ritchie + could work. They'd clearly need an impact, or potential impact, player as well.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Steel has shown a lot of potential, and is going to be needed to get scoring up for Anaheim. Rakell has proven himself to be able to produce well even when the team has been down, and think he will be even better in the coming years when this team improves around him. The others I can see maybe being available. I still don't think they are heading to any kind of rebuild, just need to fill pieces here and there, but they are not going to move guys like Steel, Terry or Jones, imo, who have looked good despite the team itself being in a down year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He is a significantly better hockey player than Jack Johnson.

In any given year, there are 25-30 defensemen in the NHL who score at least 40 points. Ristolainen is among a small handful of players who've hit that benchmark in each of the last 4 seasons. His fancy stats (SCF% and HDCF%) aren't all that bad when you consider the role he plays, the team he plays it on, and the fact that he's generally paired with partners who are complete tire fires --- though both numbers are still below 50%, it's not by much. He's not the elite shutdown defenseman Buffalo has been using him as, but he's a damn good hockey player, and I have absolutely no doubt in my mind the Sabres will look like morons for trading him when he goes to a team that actually understands how to leverage/use its players.

He lives and dies on the PP, even worse, hes not even themain driver on the PP. So he is a secondary piece in prime offensive minutes. That is exactly how Cody Franson got his payday

Ristos D partners also often do better away from him. In addition, "not all that bad" is an extreme understatement to describe his analytics

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Easy yes but I doubt Dubas is that dumb.

I'd do it. If the perception is that lopsided then I'd take an add but Risto for Willy as a starting point seems like a solid base. As bad as Risto has been he still has glimpses of being an elite player. Same can be said for Willy. Change of scenery for both... Win Win

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Steel has shown a lot of potential, and is going to be needed to get scoring up for Anaheim. Rakell has proven himself to be able to produce well even when the team has been down, and think he will be even better in the coming years when this team improves around him. The others I can see maybe being available. I still don't think they are heading to any kind of rebuild, just need to fill pieces here and there, but they are not going to move guys like Steel, Terry or Jones, imo, who have looked good despite the team itself being in a down year.

RR for RR +

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->