Rasmus Dahlin

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I see we're still doing the "Bu-bu-bu-bu Heiskanen" every time Dahlin is mentioned on here. If he was really better, you would've stopped doing it 2 months ago.

Ekblad wasn't even the best rookie defenseman in his year. He won because of his age.

Bringing up Heiskanen randomly by saying "Hes not as good as Heiskanen" like was said early in the thread is dumb and pointless. However as soon as the conversation turns to whether or not he has the Calder with Petersson missing time then bringing in Miro is fair game because its a completely reasonable statement to think that Dahlin might not get the calder if Petersson were to be injured long term because Miro has just as good of a claim to it right now

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I was told Dahlin was the perfect mix of Lidstrom and Forsberg. That's generational. Thats 80+ points a year potential with perfect defence. Dahlin is not that so he hasn't delivered, but that's not to say hes not a great Dman that will be one of the best for years to come.
Lol who told you that? An 80 point dmen with perfect defense would be a better asset than McDavid. I don’t think even Dahlin’s mother would suggest he had that potential. Get real.

Reactions: sabremike

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Hard to list zero people....only thing people said was that he was better at a young age than them.
Oh really? Take a look back at the poll from this summer where we got told he was already better than Rielly.

It must be nice to just decide your reality but some of use actual facts.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I’d like to see a list from a credible poster that shows Dahlin as walking into the league as a Norris Candidate. Most reasonable people expected growing pains and that we would be a solid, if unspectacular, contributor. He’s been better than that. It’s damn near impossible to be more than that as a teenager on the blueline.

Go look at the summer polls. Guys swore up and down he was generational and would do a McDavid type entrance into the league.

Granted there are some wacky guys here. That guy saying Borque is his floor was special.

The media using the word "Generational" when they really mean elite talent has caused a lot of confusion on HF.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Bringing up Heiskanen randomly by saying "Hes not as good as Heiskanen" like was said early in the thread is dumb and pointless. However as soon as the conversation turns to whether or not he has the Calder with Petersson missing time then bringing in Miro is fair game because its a completely reasonable statement to think that Dahlin might not get the calder if Petersson were to be injured long term because Miro has just as good of a claim to it right now
It was weird not seeing Miro in conversation for Calder when he has been just as good if not better.

Honest M

May 11, 2012
huhh expectedto read Dahlin and maybe watch some nice plays but find alot of finns pumping the tires of a finnish dude (as usual), quite embarrassing.

Most of the finnish fans i believe are however behaving good. But if every fan base would behave like these trolls and crap in every thread, the site would be unbearable. With every topic derailed.

Dahlin looks great with a extreme potential, will be fun to watch him develop.

Reactions: Casanova

middletoe

Why am I me?
Nov 5, 2008
Northern Ontario
Go look at the summer polls. Guys swore up and down he was generational and would do a McDavid type entrance into the league.

Granted there are some wacky guys here. That guy saying Borque is his floor was special.

The media using the word "Generational" when they really mean elite talent has caused a lot of confusion on HF.
I was that wacky guy. :) Thought a lot of you guys would get a kick with the Bourque thing.

But when I see the things he does, and the way he thinks, I believe he’ll be up there with the greats soon enough. He’s got that level of hockey mind imo. Time will tell how wacky a statement it was.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I was that wacky guy. :) Thought a lot of you guys would get a kick with the Bourque thing.

But when I see the things he does, and the way he thinks, I believe he’ll be up there with the greats soon enough. He’s got that level of hockey mind imo. Time will tell how wacky a statement it was.

You get that we will never know what his floor is right?

To say he can be no worse than one of the all time greats shows a lack of imagination.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Oh really? Take a look back at the poll from this summer where we got told he was already better than Rielly.

It must be nice to just decide your reality but some of use actual facts.
You have a lot of faith in HF polls then you can be triggered by anything. Sabres fans except maybe JackAttack really dont care much whether a Sabres player lost a poll votes on by anonymous people with our players.

middletoe

Why am I me?
Nov 5, 2008
Northern Ontario
You get that we will never know what his floor is right?

To say he can be no worse than one of the all time greats shows a lack of imagination.
I’m speculating from watching him play that he will fall within a certain range of value as a player.

Can he do worse than Bourque? I can’t say it’s impossible. I’ve been wrong about things before.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Dahlin flying against the Oilers tonight. Apple in the first period for 4 points in the last 3 games. He also had 4 shots on goal in the first.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Check the Sabres poll that predicted Dahlin's calibre of play this season. The strong majority said a 40+point is what they expected. Most reasonable fans dont expect a Norris trophy in his first year of play. You're just emotionally invested in this arguement since Rielly was mentioned, so you turn a small minority into a much bigger number.

And what would be considered generational when talking about a defenseman? Dahlin is having (possibly) the best season as an 18 year old defenseman in 40 years. The stats and eye test support this argument.

Last edited:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
He dominated that first period but man he needs to work on his shot. Could've, and probably should've, easily had a couple of goals in that period

This is true. Dahlin's shot is limiting him at this point offensively. I've watched a few games as well, where he left goals on the table with his shot.

The good news though, is that, a shot is the easiest thing a player can improve. Dahlin has the "eye" and is very accurate, he just lacks the velocity right know as well as the sharp release to beat NHL goalies the way he beat goalies in the SEL.

I think when Dahlin is 21-22, his shot will have arrived and he'll be scoring 20 goals a year, which is high-end. I never see him putting up 30 goals like Burns but, at his peak, Dahlin will be a 20g-50a-70p defenseman IMO.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
Jay Bouwmeester 2.0. Solid, reliable guy who can play on the top pair and score ~40 points in a good season but absolutely not a "generational talent" or anywhere close to all time greats like Lidstrom, Bourque etc.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Jay Bouwmeester 2.0. Solid, reliable guy who can play on the top pair and score ~40 points in a good season but absolutely not a "generational talent" or anywhere close to all time greats like Lidstrom, Bourque etc.

He is on pace to match bouwmeester’s career high in points....as an 18 year old.

And good to know he might be able to score 40 in a season, when he is on pace to do better his rookie season.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I know it's already been said, but your point is foolish enough that repetition is necessary.

Your "In a good season" projection is lower than what he's pacing for as a defenseman in the NHL at 18 years old.

Figure it out bud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad