Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 3- D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
being benched when lading in the 3rd is making him a major liability.

Going to wear down our other 5 defensemen

deVolt

Jun 4, 2018
Göteborg
being benched when lading in the 3rd is making him a major liability.

Going to wear down our other 5 defensemen
If they going to toy with him like that they may as well send him to Rochester, Benching him tonight was ridiculous by the way, he may have deserved it in other games but not tonight that will knock down his confidence even more.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I did not understand what it was, but in today's game he did not deserve to sit on the bench. :confused:

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I did not understand what it was, but in today's game he did not deserve to sit on the bench. :confused:

I thought he deserved to be benched, he was flubbing passes and his play was leading to turnovers. Being benched for a game will hurt his pride, but he’ll be a better player for it.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I thought he deserved to be benched, he was flubbing passes and his play was leading to turnovers. Being benched for a game will hurt his pride, but he’ll be a better player for it.

Flubbed passes happen all the time. That one instance at the start of the game where he flubbed 2 in a row....a Senator then immediately flubbed one in the exact same area of the ice. Something was going on there.

Otherwise, I thought Dahlin was having a solid game tonight. RK must have seen something different though.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
He was flubbing passes but he was also breaking up attacks which he hasn't done much this year.

Lead directly to our first goal.

I definitely don't feel any more secure defensively when Jake McCabe is on the ice that's for sure.

explore

Jun 28, 2011
Flubbed passes happen all the time. That one instance at the start of the game where he flubbed 2 in a row....a Senator then immediately flubbed one in the exact same area of the ice. Something was going on there.

Otherwise, I thought Dahlin was having a solid game tonight. RK must have seen something different though.

Yeah, I caught the Sens player flubbing shortly after Dahlin on that play, fair enough. Even if you waive that off, he hasn’t been playing well, at least not to his capability, for a good few weeks. He seems like he’s got tunnel vision at the moment. Being benched for a day to might give him time to reset, take some pressure of, and allow him to come back to the game with fresh eyes.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
He played well in this game, if he had been planted before the match or in another game I would have no questions, but the guy plays well, tries, and they put him on the bench.

Reactions: deVolt

deVolt

Jun 4, 2018
Göteborg
as said, I personally hope they send him to Roch. I want him to get away from all this nonsense, he will probably get scratched tomorrow too, let him enjoy playing hockey again like Tage.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
My main takeaway from this year about dahlin is that he's just not physically mature enough. He gets pushed off of pucks, struggles to take the body, etc. When he grows into his body a bit he's gonna be a machine

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I don't remember when it happened in the game but I remember the TV showing him after a play and he seemed pretty frustrated.

Maybe Krueger thought he needed to sit and gain some perspective for a bit? We don't know what conversations happen on the bench, maybe the coach picked up on something we just didn't see. I didn't think he was having that bad of a game, he's had worse.

Strexvale

Mar 8, 2007
West Seneca, NY

Vogl provides more of the quote. None of it speaks to why tonight of all nights he was benched though. And without listening I'm sure none of the Buffalo media pressed that point.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I don't remember when it happened in the game but I remember the TV showing him after a play and he seemed pretty frustrated.

Maybe Krueger thought he needed to sit and gain some perspective for a bit? We don't know what conversations happen on the bench, maybe the coach picked up on something we just didn't see. I didn't think he was having that bad of a game, he's had worse.
He has always had huge expectations thrust upon him as the 'next great swedish defenseman' after guys like EK and Lindstrom. And don't forget he's just a kid. I try to imagine myself in his position at that age and I shudder to think about it. All of his recent little slump is just a product of all that pressure in my mind. He has the skill, but he still needs these experiences of failure before he elevates himself to the NHL elite.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I'm sure it's some pseudo motivational bullshit where the idea is you don't discipline someone when they're having a tough time of it but instead wait until they have a good moment and provide tough love. I wish I was completely joking and that was satire but there's a lot of thinking like that out there among the "motivational" personalities.

Reactions: kirby11

deVolt

Jun 4, 2018
Göteborg
I'm sure it's some pseudo motivational bull**** where the idea is you don't discipline someone when they're having a tough time of it but instead wait until they have a good moment and provide tough love. I wish I was completely joking and that was satire but there's a lot of thinking like that out there among the "motivational" personalities.
If that is the case, Then I'm sorry Krueger is not the right guy to coach a young team, and while we are at it even Mitts look more lost out there then last season.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
His hype was absurd pre draft. It was said his floor was Drew Doughty. Doughty was dominant at this age. Dahlin is an offensive defenseman, who is seen as a liability by the coaches.

I do not think he is waiver exempt to go to Rochester. Played too many games. He should have spent at least 2-3 months LAST YEAR in Rochester to start, to get used to the schedule and playing #1 minutes. My worry is we messed this up and Dahlin will NEVER be a number 1 defenseman, because he simply cannot play those minutes or all situations. He never learned that! We may have a #3 offensive stud (think the next Mike Green). Not what we want from a first overall pick who was called "generational"

explore

Jun 28, 2011
I'm sure it's some pseudo motivational bull**** where the idea is you don't discipline someone when they're having a tough time of it but instead wait until they have a good moment and provide tough love. I wish I was completely joking and that was satire but there's a lot of thinking like that out there among the "motivational" personalities.

Scotty Bowman was notorious for that kind of stuff. Ken Dryden wrote about how much he generally disliked Bowman for benching him for games that Dryden felt he should've played (home games when Bowman "knew" Dryden's family would be in attendance or games against teams Dryden generally played well against,) but respected him for his tough approach because the frustration and desire to prove Bowman wrong made him become a better player. Bowman also did stuff like refuse to trade players that he kept on the bench even when they were adamant they'd never play for the Canadiens again, only to put them into games and have them play well. At the end of the day, no one cares that Bowman was a jerk because Bowman won, and won a lot.

I obviously don't think Krueger is the next Bowman, but that kind of motivation, while frustrating, can work with the right type of personality--that is the hyper-competitive types, i.e. Dahlin.

deVolt

Jun 4, 2018
Göteborg
His hype was absurd pre draft. It was said his floor was Drew Doughty. Doughty was dominant at this age. Dahlin is an offensive defenseman, who is seen as a liability by the coaches.

I do not think he is waiver exempt to go to Rochester. Played too many games. He should have spent at least 2-3 months LAST YEAR in Rochester to start, to get used to the schedule and playing #1 minutes. My worry is we messed this up and Dahlin will NEVER be a number 1 defenseman, because he simply cannot play those minutes or all situations. He never learned that! We may have a #3 offensive stud (think the next Mike Green). Not what we want from a first overall pick who was called "generational"
Should he be traded then while he has any value? a first and a fringe prospect, what do you say?
By the way, your hot take are ridiculous and Rasmus was all situation d before he got drafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad