Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 3- D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
When do we stop blaming the coaches for “breaking Dahlin” and hold the kid accountable for his preparedness and play

Reactions: k8prisoner

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Should he be traded then while he has any value? a first and a fringe prospect, what do you say?
By the way, your hot take are ridiculous and Rasmus was all situation d before he got drafted.

so how long before he becomes the best defenseman in the NHL, playing at a Denis Potvin level? That was what he was hyped as.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
2016: Nylander
2017: Mitts
2018: Dahlin

They do take wrong choice or are they develop them incorrectly? :sarcasm:

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
the past page or 2 of this thread is just plain stupid he's not going anywhere he was doing fine in the game today....same people complaining about his skating are the same saying Eichel doesn't have elite speed despite it literally being proven that he's one of the fastest players in the NHL...he soundly broke up nearly every play that was possible and quickly got the puck up the ice every time. I think i'm done with bad rants of Sabres fans today.

deVolt

Jun 4, 2018
Göteborg
the past page or 2 of this thread is just plain stupid he's not going anywhere he was doing fine in the game today....same people complaining about his skating are the same saying Eichel doesn't have elite speed despite it literally being proven that he's one of the fastest players in the NHL...he soundly broke up nearly every play that was possible and quickly got the puck up the ice every time. I think i'm done with bad rants of Sabres fans today.
Me asking if he should be traded was obviously a sarcastic response to a poster with agenda. yes, he was much better defensively today which makes the decision to sit him in the 3rd even more baffling.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Kid is in a 10 game slump. He has 12 points in 19 games, like a 60 point pace and were calling him a bust now? Holy hot takes, some of you are unbelievable.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Vogl provides more of the quote. None of it speaks to why tonight of all nights he was benched though. And without listening I'm sure none of the Buffalo media pressed that point.

Krueger wasn't going to let Dahlin be the reason a 6 game losing streak became 7. Particularly in a home game against an inferior team in the 2nd half of back to backs. This was a must win game.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

deVolt

Jun 4, 2018
Göteborg
Krueger wasn't going to let Dahlin be the reason a 6 game losing streak became 7. Particularly in a home game against an inferior team in the 2nd half of back to backs. This was a must win game.
I'm sorry not buying any of that, Jake Mccabe was a bigger threat to a win then Dahlin in this game and if they don't trust him then send him down where he will be given a bigger responsibility, pk minutes and actually learn something, sheltering and benching him will only stifle his growth.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I'm sorry not buying any of that, Jake Mccabe was a bigger threat to a win then Dahlin in this game and if they don't trust him then send him down where he will be given a bigger responsibility, pk minutes and actually learn something, sheltering and benching will only stifle his growth.

I'd say Montour but yeah... what is he going to learn being benched for the entire 3rd when hes playing well? It worked out but it was still a dumb move. If they have so little faith in him then why is he even playing?

Reactions: deVolt

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
What? A pair of McCabe and Risto allow a huge number of dangerous moments and goals, McCabe looks awful, our attack could not produce normally after playing with Rangers, we lack talent, and the problem is Dahlin? I would understand if they put him on a bench in a game against Rangers where he really played terribly, but no, they put him on a bench when he played well, and he was sitting on a bench and probably did not understand why I was sitting here and watching how McCabe makes mistakes again.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I'm sorry not buying any of that, Jake Mccabe was a bigger threat to a win then Dahlin in this game and if they don't trust him then send him down where he will be given a bigger responsibility, pk minutes and actually learn something, sheltering and benching him will only stifle his growth.
Would you be watching the Sabres if they hadn't drafted Dahlin?

Reactions: wnysupport

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Kid is in a 10 game slump. He has 12 points in 19 games, like a 60 point pace and were calling him a bust now? Holy hot takes, some of you are unbelievable.

I don't care about points. He's out of position, loses board battles, gets caught flat footed, and is out of position far too much. He's not generational at this moment and is really struggling.

deVolt

Jun 4, 2018
Göteborg
Would you be watching the Sabres if they hadn't drafted Dalin?
I made no secret that drafting Dahlin was a big part of me becoming a sabre, not a blind fanboy though criticise him when he deserves it. but I don't know what it has to do with anything?

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
I don't care about points. He's out of position, loses board battles, gets caught flat footed, and is out of position far too much. He's not generational at this moment and is really struggling.
Being not generational and a bust are two totally different things

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
What? A pair of McCabe and Risto allow a huge number of dangerous moments and goals, McCabe looks awful, our attack could not produce normally after playing with Rangers, we lack talent, and the problem is Dahlin? I would understand if they put him on a bench in a game against Rangers where he really played terribly, but no, they put him on a bench when he played well, and he was sitting on a bench and probably did not understand why I was sitting here and watching how McCabe makes mistakes again.
Krueger's all about communication so I'm sure Dahlin was told why he was sitting.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I made no secret that drafting Dahlin was a big part of me becoming a sabre, not a blind fanboy though criticise him when he deserves it. but I don't know what it has to do with anything?
It has to do with putting Dahlin ahead of the team. When Vanek was drafted we had some fans treating this as a Vanek forum rather than a Buffalo Sabres forum. Sometimes I wonder if people who come here because they like a particular player understand how badly the fans here want to win. It's curious that rather than acknowledge issues with Dahlin's game that his supporters defend him by throwing shade on other players.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I really hope so, I'm just really worried about our youth development, Mitts doesn't look very good either.
Mitts has looked good at times. I expect development to improve because this coaching staff is spending a lot more time explaining to players how to play in the system and what they expect. Under Krueger they're very specific about what they want to see and their expectations. Bylsma didn't communicate with the players. I don't think Housley was able to develop a system that made sense to the players. In a way they're starting out at square one with Krueger.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Mitts has looked good at times. I expect development to improve because this coaching staff is spending a lot more time explaining to players how to play in the system and what they expect. Under Krueger they're very specific about what they want to see and their expectations. Bylsma didn't communicate with the players. I don't think Housley was able to develop a system that made sense to the players. In a way they're starting out at square one with Krueger.
I'm still not so high on Krueger, he certainly says interestingly and encouragingly, but there are more and more questions for the coaching staff with each game, it’s good that Jack played like that today, but the game itself doesn’t look very good in the last ten matches, at least at least in my opinion, also Steve Smith seems to me a rather strange persona.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Interesting: ('That’s what big captains do': Inspired Jack Eichel takes... subscription required)
This sheds a bit more light on things.

Also playing zero minutes in the third period was Sabres defenseman Rasmus Dahlin. The healthy 19-year-old was pinned to the bench. The No. 1 overall pick from 2018 took his last shift with 1:37 left in the second period. It was one that general manager Jason Botterill did not like. The puck went into the corner in Buffalo’s zone and Dahlin had the edge in a race with an Ottawa forward. Inexplicably, Dahlin pulled up and slid back, allowing the Senators to gain control. Botterill slammed the table in his press-box suite, stood up from his chair and walked away from the action. When he returned to watch, he stood with his arms crossed.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
What does it mean? Botterill ordered him to sit on a bench or what? Maybe he is exhausted physically or they train him incorrectly, they him load too much, it seems to me he looks a little hard, although he still gives excellent passes to the attack, I don’t know.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Well, OK. A cool nothing story. Dahlin is a bigger talent than what most of the NHL playes are, a talent to the extreme - in that sense he probably backed off cause he KNOW that the forward doesnt have any options, and Dahlin saves himself time and space by winning it back later. So he doesnt think like a NHL:er yet. SMall things. The funny thing here is that Dahlins talent is faaar beyond what Botterill ever had as a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad