Value of: Rasmus Andersson

freester

Mar 22, 2014
Atlanta, Ga
Can they afford to give Mittlestadt 7+ and add a top 4 RHD if one of the more expensive forwards doesn’t shake loose though?

I know there’s some bad money coming off the books this summer but with the power/dahlin raises kicking in and skinner still on the books, I’m not sure trading pure futures for a top 4 RHD will fit their cap structure
I had suggested trading Samuelson for the reasons you suggested. With his contract off it frees up space to sign everyone else

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Can they afford to give Mittlestadt 7+ and add a top 4 RHD if one of the more expensive forwards doesn’t shake loose though?

I know there’s some bad money coming off the books this summer but with the power/dahlin raises kicking in and skinner still on the books, I’m not sure trading pure futures for a top 4 RHD will fit their cap structure

So let's take a look at next season, when all the extensions will be kicked in:

Skinner/Thompson/Tuch/Cozens/Greenway: $31M
Dahlin/Power/Samuelsson/Clifton: $27M
5 forwards, 4 D: $58M.

So that gives us ROUGHLY $30M in cap space. Now, let's account for ELCs:

Benson, Peterka, Quinn, Johnson = $3.6M. Down to roughly $26M with 8 Fs, 5D.

Let's go on the high-end and say we re-sign UPL to a 4x4, and bring in a backup at roughly 2M -- that's $6M. So now down to $20M needing to sign 5 forwards and 2 Dmen.

All of this to say -- I think there's room for ONE more 7+M contract comfortably.

This makes Andersson a rather picture perfect fit for Buffalo. We've got the top 4 RHD need. He's signed reasonably and wouldn't need an extension until Skinner is in the easy-buyout category. His contract allows us to re-sign Mitts at the Cozens/Tage deal PLUS trade for Andersson. $11.5 M total gives us ROUGHLY $9M in cap space for 4 forwards and a #7 Dman. Not hard.

So yeah, we can do a deal for Andersson that involves futures and one current ELC (think Krebs and/or Peterka). It'll be tight for the offseason of 26....but that's 2 years down the line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig and crackdown44

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
So let's take a look at next season, when all the extensions will be kicked in:

Skinner/Thompson/Tuch/Cozens/Greenway: $31M
Dahlin/Power/Samuelsson/Clifton: $27M
5 forwards, 4 D: $58M.

So that gives us ROUGHLY $30M in cap space. Now, let's account for ELCs:

Benson, Peterka, Quinn, Johnson = $3.6M. Down to roughly $26M with 8 Fs, 5D.

Let's go on the high-end and say we re-sign UPL to a 4x4, and bring in a backup at roughly 2M -- that's $6M. So now down to $20M needing to sign 5 forwards and 2 Dmen.

All of this to say -- I think there's room for ONE more 7+M contract comfortably.

This makes Andersson a rather picture perfect fit for Buffalo. We've got the top 4 RHD need. He's signed reasonably and wouldn't need an extension until Skinner is in the easy-buyout category. His contract allows us to re-sign Mitts at the Cozens/Tage deal PLUS trade for Andersson. $11.5 M total gives us ROUGHLY $9M in cap space for 4 forwards and a #7 Dman. Not hard.

So yeah, we can do a deal for Andersson that involves futures and one current ELC (think Krebs and/or Peterka). It'll be tight for the offseason of 26....but that's 2 years down the line.

Good breakdown. I suppose if the Flames were shopping Andersson for a pure futures package I think Buffalo/Dallas/Detroit etc would be at the top of the list for the more interesting prospect pools

I guess it’s more that at this point as a flames fan I’d be more interested in a Cozens type return or say Pinto + from Ottawa, if not I think Calgary could revisit moving Andersson in the summer or next TDL with 1.5 years left on his deal

Like the flames don’t even really have the bodies in the AHL to fill out the roster if they move Hanifin/Tanev/Andersson this deadline. Weegar could move to the right side but that just leaves a hole on the left.

There’s just no one really close to NHL ready at RD in the system right now. At least in the summer they could sign some stop gaps as UFAs

Reactions: Fig

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Good breakdown. I suppose if the Flames were shopping Andersson for a pure futures package I think Buffalo/Dallas/Detroit etc would be at the top of the list for the more interesting prospect pools

I guess it’s more that at this point as a flames fan I’d be more interested in a Cozens type return or say Pinto + from Ottawa, if not I think Calgary could revisit moving Andersson in the summer or next TDL with 1.5 years left on his deal

Like the flames don’t even really have the bodies in the AHL to fill out the roster if they move Hanifin/Tanev/Andersson this deadline. Weegar could move to the right side but that just leaves a hole on the left.

There’s just no one really close to NHL ready at RD in the system right now. At least in the summer they could sign some stop gaps as UFAs
So what I'm hearing is that for your NHL roster, you'd probably want us to send you Jokiharju back. He's RFA, RHD and can capably soak up 5v5 minutes and be OK enough as a guy on PP2. He's terribly redundant here (given Dahlin, Power, RJohnson) but is certainly capable of 20 min per game. He's making a passable partner for Dahlin currently and would more than likely make for a passable partner for Weegar while you all reload. We've also got a couple of extra AHL-level dmen if you'd like (none with NHL potential, mind you.....just AHL filler types).

I totally understand if you want a Cozens/Mitts or Pinto in return. Totally get that. Not sure you would. In that case, I think a package of a top-1 protected 2024 pick, Krebs (who DOES still have top 6 potential -- he's just been saddled with Okposo/Girensons/Robinson types), one of our ELC wingers (Peterka?), Jokiharju and one of our high-end prospects (Savoie/Kulich/Rosen) would be a really nice package to help kickstart your rebuild.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
So what I'm hearing is that for your NHL roster, you'd probably want us to send you Jokiharju back. He's RFA, RHD and can capably soak up 5v5 minutes and be OK enough as a guy on PP2. He's terribly redundant here (given Dahlin, Power, RJohnson) but is certainly capable of 20 min per game. He's making a passable partner for Dahlin currently and would more than likely make for a passable partner for Weegar while you all reload. We've also got a couple of extra AHL-level dmen if you'd like (none with NHL potential, mind you.....just AHL filler types).

I totally understand if you want a Cozens/Mitts or Pinto in return. Totally get that. Not sure you would. In that case, I think a package of a top-1 protected 2024 pick, Krebs (who DOES still have top 6 potential -- he's just been saddled with Okposo/Girensons/Robinson types), one of our ELC wingers (Peterka?), Jokiharju and one of our high-end prospects (Savoie/Kulich/Rosen) would be a really nice package to help kickstart your rebuild.

If it were the case that Calgary absolutely wanted to move Andersson now (I don’t think it is). Then sure, 1st + peterka + joker + kulich would be very interesting

I just think given he’s still got some term they can probably comfortably hold out a bit to see if there’s more of a one on one trade to be had for a Cozens type. If that never transpires they can still get a really solid futures package for him in a year or two

Reactions: Fig and Zman5778

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
If it were the case that Calgary absolutely wanted to move Andersson now (I don’t think it is).

Yeah, I don't see CGY wanting to move him until/unless they're absolutely committed to a full rebuild. That said, I'm not sure his value gets higher if you wait another year......but this certainly has the feel of an off-season, wait-until-the-draft-is-close deal when a team will still give up a crapton to get 2 full years of him.

Reactions: Fig and crackdown44

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
If it were the case that Calgary absolutely wanted to move Andersson now (I don’t think it is). Then sure, 1st + peterka + joker + kulich would be very interesting

I just think given he’s still got some term they can probably comfortably hold out a bit to see if there’s more of a one on one trade to be had for a Cozens type. If that never transpires they can still get a really solid futures package for him in a year or two
Wait how good is mitts right now? I said lottery protected 1st next yr + mitts + kulich was was told its way too much. Mitts + 25 lottery protected 1st is more than 24 1st (looking like at least top 10) + peterka?

Quoted wrong quote lol, actually meant to quote zman, but dk how to fix it, derp

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Wait how good is mitts right now? I said lottery protected 1st next yr + mitts + kulich was was told its way too much. Mitts + 25 lottery protected 1st is more than 24 1st (looking like at least top 10) + peterka?

25 year old RFA center. 43 points in 53 games and he’s not a liability in his own end. I’d say he has a lot of value tbh

Just not the piece I’d want in an Andersson trade personally

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
25 year old RFA center. 43 points in 53 games and he’s not a liability in his own end. I’d say he has a lot of value tbh

Just not the piece I’d want in an Andersson trade personally
Yea seems like a young 2C similar caliber to when kadri was first traded as a leaf. Just didnt think he and a lotto protected 1st has more value than a top 10 pick + peterka. Maybe sabres fans can help me out there

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Yea seems like a young 2C similar caliber to when kadri was first traded as a leaf. Just didnt think he and a lotto protected 1st has more value than a top 10 pick + peterka. Maybe sabres fans can help me out there

Mitts and a lotto protected 1st

versus

Peterka and a top 10 pick

Close in value. Very, very close. All depends on what you want/need. If you want a responsible 2-way center that's a pretty solid 2C and are OK with a lesser pick, you want package 1. If you want a speedy, shot-first winger with 30-40 goal potential and doesn't shy away from contact and a better draft pick.....you want package 2.

Mitts is an above-average 2C, but has likely hit his ceiling or is darned close to it. Peterka RIGHT NOW is an above-average 2nd line winger with legit top-line potential.

Difference between the two is likely an "eye of the beholder" situation, but I'd lean towards package 2 being a bit more valuable.

And as far as what you were told value-wise coming from the Sabres in an Andersson trade? I see Andersson as the IDEAL "missing piece" on our blueline and have zero qualms whatsoever "overpaying" for him. Our system can afford the hit.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Quoted wrong quote lol, actually meant to quote zman, but dk how to fix it, derp

A few seasons ago, he was worth like a 2nd or 3rd. So it didn't make sense to move him. I thought he was a great buy low candidate at the time.

IMO he's easily recovered to the value of the draft pick used to draft him and perhaps more.

Agreed buffalo is one of very few teams that has an interesting prospect pool to try to acquire Andersson. Most other teams are quite looted or late first rounders. But for a guy like Andersson, I guess a good old fashioned hockey trade is also interesting to investigate.

I can see why Buffalo isn't interested in subtracting from their roster though. Flames have the luxury of just sitting back and waiting on someone to rush up with an offer that knocks our socks off. We totally should keep Andersson unless a franchise altering deal pops up (would alter paths of both franchises significantly).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Fair enough. It's always odd to see a deal that lumps together players and prospects of completely different value. As far as I can tell that poster is a fan of neither team.
Probably not. My personal opinion is Ras for Coz would be fairly close on its own without a bunch of add ons. My initial thought was Cozens, Krebs & Bryson.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Probably not. My personal opinion is Ras for Coz would be fairly close on its own without a bunch of add ons. My initial thought was Cozens, Krebs & Bryson.
I'd imagine Adams would have to give that some real thought. Krebs is a great buy low candidate. He has stagnated a bit, but he's had very little in the way of quality linemates and role here.
Kulich + first and I’m in
Done deal.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Hate to move Kulich but hes probably at a peak value wise. If it were either him or JJP right now I move Kulich.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Mitts and a lotto protected 1st

versus

Peterka and a top 10 pick

Close in value. Very, very close. All depends on what you want/need. If you want a responsible 2-way center that's a pretty solid 2C and are OK with a lesser pick, you want package 1. If you want a speedy, shot-first winger with 30-40 goal potential and doesn't shy away from contact and a better draft pick.....you want package 2.

Mitts is an above-average 2C, but has likely hit his ceiling or is darned close to it. Peterka RIGHT NOW is an above-average 2nd line winger with legit top-line potential.

Difference between the two is likely an "eye of the beholder" situation, but I'd lean towards package 2 being a bit more valuable.

And as far as what you were told value-wise coming from the Sabres in an Andersson trade? I see Andersson as the IDEAL "missing piece" on our blueline and have zero qualms whatsoever "overpaying" for him. Our system can afford the hit.
We are in agreement then, i think the difference in the picks just tilts the value too much towards the lottery pick. I was just confused when i made that offer and was told i was asking wayyy to much lol, i was thinking am i underestimating mitts?

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
A few seasons ago, he was worth like a 2nd or 3rd. So it didn't make sense to move him. I thought he was a great buy low candidate at the time.

IMO he's easily recovered to the value of the draft pick used to draft him and perhaps more.

Agreed buffalo is one of very few teams that has an interesting prospect pool to try to acquire Andersson. Most other teams are quite looted or late first rounders. But for a guy like Andersson, I guess a good old fashioned hockey trade is also interesting to investigate.

I can see why Buffalo isn't interested in subtracting from their roster though. Flames have the luxury of just sitting back and waiting on someone to rush up with an offer that knocks our socks off. We totally should keep Andersson unless a franchise altering deal pops up (would alter paths of both franchises significantly).
I think Calgary is gonna be looking at young roster piece in any Andersson trade tho, they have really emphasized immediate roster pieces in recent trades. I was thinking mitts, peterka or Quinn, i went with mitts cuz i thought he would be the most replaceable given cozens and thompson. I also thought peterka would be higher valued than mitts. Quinns just has too much injury concerns rn.

Reactions: Fig

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If I’m the Flames, I shop him now. Anderssons value is at an all time high and his contract is golden. Weegar will lead this young Flames blueline.

Reactions: freester

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Unless they get a huge offer for Andersson this would make a better summer trade. There's still two years on his contract so no need to rush.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If he's available Treliving needs to be calling every day, he would be a HUGE add to the defense.

Much like Hanifin he'd be the perfect partner for Rielly except better because he's under contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad