Value of: Rasmus Andersson

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This isn’t two parties sitting down having a large back and forth, posters come in trying to offer what they perceive as fair value. I’ve watched every game Andersson’s played for years, I’m letting people know what value he provides to give them context for offers.

The Seth Jones trade is a good comp. Same age, Jones had 1 year left at 5.5, with Andersson having 2.5 years left at 4.5. Jones and the 32nd overall went for a recent 8th overall pick, the 6th overall pick, 12th overall pick, and a mid 2nd. Maybe 1-2 posters have offered anything close to that value. Jones play detoriating makes the trade look like a steal today admittedly. His ability to be extended immediately also boosted his value, but getting a top 10 RD for multiple seasons at 4.5M when the cap has never been a bigger factor I’d also a huge plus.

Just to point out that the pick that wound up at 6OA wasn't known to be a top 10 selection - the Hawks were trying to extend their Toews and Kane group with new help. That was unexpected so should be a caveat in trying to determine a comparable with Andersson.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
If I’m Buffalo,

I’m giving Calgary next years first, 1 of Cozens/Peterka/Quinn, 1 pick of their choice between Kulich/Rosen/Ostlund/Savoie, and one other choice between their B prospects such as Biro/Rousek/Wahlberg or a 2nd round pick.

Keep big RHD prospects like Strbak/Komarov in their back pockets for organizational depth.

Something like 2025 1st, Peterka, Savoie, and a 2nd.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If I’m Buffalo,

I’m giving Calgary next years first, 1 of Cozens/Peterka/Quinn, 1 pick of their choice between Kulich/Rosen/Ostlund/Savoie, and one other choice between their B prospects such as Biro/Rousek/Wahlberg or a 2nd round pick.

Keep big RHD prospects like Strbak/Komarov in their back pockets for organizational depth.

I would want Cozens in any deal personally. If we could get a return of 1st, Cozens, Savoie and a 2nd, I'd be on that like white on rice.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
If I’m Buffalo,

tenor.gif

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This isn’t two parties sitting down having a large back and forth, posters come in trying to offer what they perceive as fair value. I’ve watched every game Andersson’s played for years, I’m letting people know what value he provides to give them context for offers.

The Seth Jones trade is a good comp. Same age, Jones had 1 year left at 5.5, with Andersson having 2.5 years left at 4.5. Jones and the 32nd overall went for a recent 8th overall pick, the 6th overall pick, 12th overall pick, and a mid 2nd. Maybe 1-2 posters have offered anything close to that value. Jones play detoriating makes the trade look like a steal today admittedly. His ability to be extended immediately also boosted his value, but getting a top 10 RD for multiple seasons at 4.5M when the cap has never been a bigger factor I’d also a huge plus.

Jones was seen as a perennial Norris candidate going forward and was an RFA that came with a longterm extension. Andersson isn’t at the same level as pre-trade Jones and can sign wherever he wants in 2 years

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Jones was seen as a perennial Norris candidate going forward and was an RFA that came with a longterm extension. Andersson isn’t at the same level as pre-trade Jones and can sign wherever he wants in 2 years
What? Jones wasn't seen as a perennial Norris candidate :laugh:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
What? Jones wasn't seen as a perennial Norris candidate :laugh:

He had a 4th place finish under his belt and people expected his offensive numbers to improve on a better team as he was entering his prime, Chicago doesn’t pay that price unless they’re expecting a 70+ point 1D regardless of how his play dropped off after the trade.

Reactions: oceanchild

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Jones was a UFA at the end of his deal not an RFA, was 27, and was 4 years removed from being any relevancy in the Norris discussion. Jones 3 seasons prior to being traded were 46 points in 75 games, 30 points in 56 games, and 28 points in 56 games with a collective -6. Everything you claimed wasn’t just revisionist history, but blatantly untrue.

Here’s how they ranked in those important categories for the 3 season pre trade.

TOI:
Jones •12th
Andersson •13th

Andersson •19th

GF%:
Jones •96th
Andersson: •17th

xGF%:
Jones •113th
Andersson •17th

Same role, Andersson slightly better production, with Andersson flat out dominating Jones at tilting the ice. Columbus at a .546 points percentage during those seasons, while Calgary has a .594

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He had a 4th place finish under his belt and people expected his offensive numbers to improve on a better team as he was entering his prime, Chicago doesn’t pay that price unless they’re expecting a 70+ point 1D regardless of how his play dropped off after the trade.
1 whole 4th place finish!!!! Anyone who thought he was going to be a 70 point defenseman was delusional.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Jones play was dropping of significantly well before the trade. The hawks just got taken to cleaners because they didnt realize it

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I would want Cozens in any deal personally. If we could get a return of 1st, Cozens, Savoie and a 2nd, I'd be on that like white on rice.
So seeing as how Buffalo has been a lock at picking in the top 10 of the draft we'll call that 1st a top 10 pick. You want the equivalent of 3 top 10 picks and a 2nd for Andersson. :laugh:
Some of these "asks" in this thread are absolutely hilarious. No team is paying those type of prices. Not even for a player as talented as Andersson. With that said, Buffalo absolutely has the pieces to make a deal for Andersson work and I imagine there'd be very little off the table in those negotiations.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Flames have the best RD on the market in Tanev and there's lots of interest. If Andersson was also made available, even more teams are interested and because Andersson is a tier higher than Tanev, the offers would be totally stupid.

If you look forward a few years, supply of top pairing RD around aged 30 or less making less than 8 is going to basically be a heck of a hard thing to find. Whose else might hit the market via trade or UFA that meets most of that criteria? Pesce might be the only maybe this coming year? Ekblad and Larson the year after? The market will seemingly be barren for a while.

Even if you luck into a top pairing RD via draft, many teams will aim to play the long game and jump straight from ELC to trying to lock them into 8x8 type deals.

Is not just that Andersson skill set is rare. His contract would make him a unicorn acquisition for 3 playoff runs. He's likely next in line after Backlund for captain. Other teams wouldn't even blink at stupid packages if they had a guy like that. Player not available.

Flames should keep Andersson for the 1-2 year speed rebuild we're trying to do. But hard to say no to an eye watering deal. A team might have to pay us a serious premium to go full rebuild to get us to agree.

Flames will still have Weegar, Andersson and Kylington after trading Tanev, Hanifin and Zadorov. Backlund and Kadri after trading Lindholm. Add Markstrom and Wolf, that's a good group to surround with age 22-27 players and still try and compete. Losing Andersson or Markstrom and I think the odds that idea can be successful drops drastically.

Reactions: Kahvi

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
If Flames trade Andersson, it's gonna be in two years at the TDL when they can't agree an extension. Of course unless there's some really crazy good offer, and crazy good doesn't mean your lottery protected 1st, prospect, and a roster player to make cap hit work.

freester

Mar 22, 2014
Atlanta, Ga
From Buffalo:
Savoie,
Rozen,
Samuelson,
top 10 protected 2024 1st

Calgary needs long term control of assets. No one tops this offer

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
From Buffalo:
Savoie,
Rozen,
Samuelson,
top 10 protected 2024 1st

Calgary needs long term control of assets. No one tops this offer
Buffalo isn't in a position to be moving Samuelsson. If Calgary needs a body coming back then Joker or Clifton could be included. I also don't think a top 10 protected pick is moving the needle in a trade for a player like Andersson.

freester

Mar 22, 2014
Atlanta, Ga
Buffalo isn't in a position to be moving Samuelsson. If Calgary needs a body coming back then Joker or Clifton could be included. I also don't think a top 10 protected pick is moving the needle in a trade for a player like Andersson.
Joker will need a contract and may not want to sign long term in Calgary. Clifton has little value. I would be willing to give up another top prospect instead of a first round pick.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
If I’m Buffalo,

If we can get Cozens in a deal for Andersson I will drive Rasmus to the airport myself.

Adding in Savoie and a 2nd would be amazing.

Reactions: HighLifeManIsHigh

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Joker will need a contract and may not want to sign long term in Calgary. Clifton has little value. I would be willing to give up another top prospect instead of a first round pick.
I'm not including either of them as any sort of real value in the trade. Joker is probably the more valuable asset, but as you say he will need a new contract.
You’re not getting Cozens. Sabres need to win now. So mostly top prospects will be offered.
I'd absolutely consider a trade around Cozens for Andersson, you gotta give to get. Adding Savoie and a pick on top of that is certainly overkill though.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
You’re not getting Cozens. Sabres need to win now. So mostly top prospects will be offered.

I know we aren't getting Cozens just responding to that post from the Sabres fan.

I thought my over excitement for the return was clear that I thought it was such a great return that it wouldn't happen.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So seeing as how Buffalo has been a lock at picking in the top 10 of the draft we'll call that 1st a top 10 pick. You want the equivalent of 3 top 10 picks and a 2nd for Andersson. :laugh:
Some of these "asks" in this thread are absolutely hilarious. No team is paying those type of prices. Not even for a player as talented as Andersson. With that said, Buffalo absolutely has the pieces to make a deal for Andersson work and I imagine there'd be very little off the table in those negotiations.
I'm not the one that suggested that deal, I picked based on that they suggested. it's was absurdly in our favor

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Feel like one of Cozens or Mittlestadt is going to shake free this summer in a trade for a RHD

I think it’s far more likely Adams finally dangles some prospects for now help than that he subtracts players who are already contributing. Think guys like Savoie and Rosen.

freester

Mar 22, 2014
Atlanta, Ga
I think it’s far more likely Adams finally dangles some prospects for now help than that he subtracts players who are already contributing. Think guys like Savoie and Rosen.
Mitts is unlikely to be of interest to Calgary without a long term deal in place.

Savoie, Rozen and Samuelson is more than fair.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

Can they afford to give Mittlestadt 7+ and add a top 4 RHD if one of the more expensive forwards doesn’t shake loose though?

I know there’s some bad money coming off the books this summer but with the power/dahlin raises kicking in and skinner still on the books, I’m not sure trading pure futures for a top 4 RHD will fit their cap structure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad