Confirmed with Link: Rask signed

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
Great goalie, glad he's signed. Fair cap hit. Scary term.

Hopefully nothing happens to derail Rask over the next decade and the cap goes up so much that this contract looks like a bargain in 3-4 years.

That's exactly how I feel. If you think he's the real deal which Chia clearly does you got to pay him.

Canadian Bruin

Jun 16, 2007
Halifax, NS
I love all the *****ing saying its too much and too long. I bet if we went back a few years when we seem to never have a elite goalie the same people were saying we should sell the farm to get one.

Would have been nice if it was closer to 6mil for 5 years but there would have been many teams out there that would have offered him that and more. I give it 2 years and people will talk about how great his contract is.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Love that Raskis signed, but $7 million over 8 years is too much! Rask wanted $7 from the beginning and that's what he got. Chia didn't negotiate anything and got spanked by a RFA. Guess he didn't have a choice. All I know is that big contracts like this one for goalies is the kiss of death. Should've been $5.5-6 over 4-5 years. Cross my fingers.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Tough spot for the Bruins to be in. You can't just let him go. He's too good and has "paid his dues", so to speak. I know some were worried that he might leave a few years ago but he stuck around in order to become the main guy, and he has taken that and ran with it. My hope is that in a few years this $7m won't seem so high because the cap will increase. Hell, the cost of living is increasing and he's gotta feed his family (Latrell Sprewell anyone?)

But seriously, it will probably seem fine as soon as two years from now. My main worry is that he will get seriously injured. That time he hurt his leg/groin a few years ago is just stuck in my head. Obviously that's not a reason that would prevent you from signing him but it's a concern I have.

ronwm

Aug 4, 2010
(South of) Boston
I was wondering how this contract might impact the up and coming guys, when when I saw this and thought it was interesting....

Kirk Luedeke
‏@kluedeke29
Trade Malcolm Subban? Food 4 thought: 7 years ago B's acquired Rask from TOR when looked like Thomas, Toivonen entrenched- stuck with Tuukka

Canadian Bruin

Jun 16, 2007
Halifax, NS
I was wondering how this contract might impact the up and coming guys, when when I saw this and thought it was interesting....

Kirk Luedeke
‏@kluedeke29
Trade Malcolm Subban? Food 4 thought: 7 years ago B's acquired Rask from TOR when looked like Thomas, Toivonen entrenched- stuck with Tuukka

Malcolm is our future as 7 years ago Rask was at that time. Have him stick around and come up through the system properly like we did with Rask, and in 4 to 5 years we will have 2 stud goalies and then we can decide to go in a different direction.

sandtoorr

Jul 26, 2005
This isn't really an original thought however what bothers me about this contract is
the fact that Rask had little leverage and we still just about maxed him out. Where's the negotiation?

Sure, I don't want to go back to the Sinden days where we're squeezing pennies from the Ray Bourques of the world but I do expect some sort of push back in negotiations.

Love Rask, glad he's a Bruin for a long time.

Slightly off topic, I was extremely impressed by the quick interview I heard with Subban. That's a kid who gets it. Can't wait to see more of him.

boston77

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto

Kirk Luedeke
‏@kluedeke29

Why would anyone want to trade Malcom now? His trade value is at its lowest since he hasn't played a single pro game at any level. In 3 or 4 years you will know what you have . He will most likely spend at least 2 years at Providence and then bask-up Tuukka. At that time if Tuukka is still shining ( I think he will) and Malcom is a starter in waiting, you can make a great trade for need, his value will be significantly higher.

DevilsHughes86

Dance with the Devil
Mar 6, 2007
Laval
Glad it's done. I would have preferred 5-6 years but what ever.

There is no need to rush Subban, and from what I saw of him last year he is still a good 3 years away from the NHL.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Ryan McDonagh, P.K. Subban, Pascal Dupuis, Chris Kunitz, Sergei Bobrovsky, Patric Hornqvist, Slava Voynov, Roman Josi

Would you like any more examples?

Patrice Bergeron, Zdeno Chara, Dennis Seidenberg.

There are overpaid players, underpaid players, and players whose contracts are "just right" all over the league. To state that the Bruins are overpaid and everyone else gets their guys for less is silly.

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
This isn't really an original thought however what bothers me about this contract is
the fact that Rask had little leverage and we still just about maxed him out. Where's the negotiation?

I think the negotiations happened in 2010 and 2012. Rask was told to prove himself and he did. He was a good soldier and patiently waited his turn. I think it was very classy that Bruins didn't start haggling now.

Malcolm is our future as 7 years ago Rask was at that time. Have him stick around and come up through the system properly like we did with Rask, and in 4 to 5 years we will have 2 stud goalies and then we can decide to go in a different direction.

This is so true. Bruins are in an enviable position with their goalies and have been for years now.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Wow. A ton of money for a long time to come.

He'd better be a Vezina finalist every year at that price.

And we'd all better pray to the hockey gods that he doesn't get injured [see another goalie with an albatross of a contract before he got bought out- Rick DiPietro]

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
If Tuukka was signed for 6 mill per.....still be loads here up in arms.

You think???? I mean someone would be, but I think many of us in the WTH camp would probably not be reacting like that. I figured it would be more than Thomas, but not the max... few figured it would be the max.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Malcolm might be our future, looks special but nobody can predict where Subban will be in 3-4 years, seen/watched goalies, more than any other position who are drafted with fanfare become minor leaguer`s or the guy who`s answering the phone when your upgrading insurance

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
You think???? I mean someone would be, but I think many of us in the WTH camp would probably not be reacting like that. I figured it would be more than Thomas, but not the max... few figured it would be the max.

I did, Chia`s a man of his word, only signed him for one year with the thought of Tuukka showing him and the organization he could deliver, and he did, shortened season yes but....had no doubt TR would get paid and then some. No Tuukka, this team is bounced by the Leafs in round one, and let`s not forget the Pens series either, stole this team some games there too

Not sure why I am exceptionally comfortable both with term and dollar, and I say that as a fan who very much had concerns about Tuukka and the playoffs not so long ago, he showed me a ton then factor in, if he decides not to sign, or is a holdout then what????

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Similar to who is going to score goals? You can't win the games 0-0...

The point was they should have signed Khoby and then let Rask explore the RFA market. I am sure nobody was going to give him 7 mil... 5.5-6, yes... but 7 for 8 years? NOPE! So if he gets signed 5-6, then you match, save 1 mil, which is a lot if you do that for 6 or 7 contracts, that is a whole other player.

I respect your opinions, but I`m still putting my faith in a GM/Prez who have earned it, and now you want to "save" a million??? Do you recall how this franchise was run for decades by doing this, saved money, lost the respect and integrity they had built up by doing just this

Alfie played for pocket change for the Sens last year, and I`m guessing Murray`s first offer (which was humiliating after all Alfie did for the Sens) was what decided for Alfie he was done in Ottawa. Chia deals fairly, some say too much so, I say otherwise, love the culture of respect he brings to negotiations, this stuff spreads around the league, players know when they come to Boston, they won`t be treated like dog meat

LavioletteScores

Nov 20, 2011
I dunno about other folks around here, but I kinda liked watching him stonewall the league's best offense in Pittsburgh, and I kinda like knowing that should opposing teams figure out the Bruins' new-look defense next year, they're gonna have to get past that same dude to score now.

That's just me though.

You're getting a young goalie in the prime years of his career, who yes, while not having the "full season" to his belt, has been consistently among the top 5 goalies when he has played.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I kinda like that feeling.

I might go hot tub to celebrate, even.

Hot tub time machine.

howaryuh

Mar 28, 2004
Guelph, Ontario
Corey Crawford, Anti Niemi, Chris Osgood, MAF.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. The 2011 B's needed Thomas because they weren't as stacked up front as the other contenders. You can also lock up so much money in net that it then handcuffs you in other areas.

I'm legitimately concerned with the Bruins' lack of versatility at forward and Chara's age moving forward. Yes, they've solidified the questions in net, but they have other holes now.

Also, speaking to Mike's point, the ducks won a cup with hiller and locked him up, yet they seemed ready to move on to his heir apparent last season. Goalies are funny.

There is more risk to say the least in the goaltender position, that's for certain. I would add Luongo to your list as well even if he didn't win a Cup, heroes one year, goats the next.
That said, there were a lot of folks outraged when Thomas got his contract, and that worked out well. Chia is going with his gut instinct, and in the end the B's are better off with him than without him.
I would add, with the cap in place it will be difficult for many teams to not have holes. While the B's lineup may not be well rounded, the relativity to the competition is what counts.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Let him go sign as a RFA first, see what another team signs him for, then weigh your options.

I love Rask, way more then TT... but this has just handcuffed us with the cap for at least 2-3 season.

If he signed as a RFA for 7 mil, we would get 4 first round picks! I would take that in a second.

Chia should not have like Khoby go over 200k????? Signed Johnson at 600k but would not give Khoby 800k????? WTF!!!

Exactly, would he really have gotten offers of over 7 million a year that we couldn't have matched?? I agree that we should have re-upped Khudobin, I think most of us figured him for a million, so why not sign him for 850-900??

I hate to complain because I have lived through periods of terrible goaltending, but that doesn't change the fact that a bad cap hit is a bad cap hit.

And for those saying Rask doesn't have anything more to prove; I think that is way off base, he just got one of the best contracts in the NHL, he still has to prove that he's worth it!!

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I respect your opinions, but I`m still putting my faith in a GM/Prez who have earned it, and now you want to "save" a million??? Do you recall how this franchise was run for decades by doing this, saved money, lost the respect and integrity they had built up by doing just this

Alfie played for pocket change for the Sens last year, and I`m guessing Murray`s first offer (which was humiliating after all Alfie did for the Sens) was what decided for Alfie he was done in Ottawa. Chia deals fairly, some say too much so, I say otherwise, love the culture of respect he brings to negotiations, this stuff spreads around the league, players know when they come to Boston, they won`t be treated like dog meat

Very well said.

theswede2013

Feb 26, 2013
I don't understand how all these GM's on here think this is a bad signing. Rask did the team a favor last year and signed a one year prove yourself deal, he did. He has enough experience as a starter and in the playoffs. He is in his prime and is now locked up throughout his prime. 26-34 years old! I think for his age and what he brings this is an excellent deal. By the half way point he will be a bargain price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad