Confirmed with Link: Rask signed

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
I wouldn't fire him. He has done a good job besides giving a rask a 8 year deal. I hope he doesn't give bergy a 8 year deal. We all love bergy as a player, but with his concussion history I'm not giving him an 8 year deal.

Rask playing style doesn't translate we'll at age 36. Yikes. Rask relies on his quickness to get to the puck. Now picture him at age 36. I would have given rask a 6 year deal Worth 6 or 6.5 mil. That's fair enough for both sides.

He turns 34 the March of the final year of this deal. You're so new to the sport, stick around for a while before even suggesting you would want a hugely successful GM fired.

Afam*

He turns 34 the March of the final year of this deal. You're so new to the sport, stick around for a while before even suggesting you would want a hugely successful GM fired.

Me being new to the sport doesn't have anything to do with me suggesting chia should be fired. Furthermore it's not like I started watching hockey yesterday so can people stop using that term.

Afam*

I don't think they could have done much different.

- Convince him he isn't worth that much? Good luck with that.
- Let him go to arbitration? Good luck signing him long term after that.
- Drag him through the mud and try to shave a few bucks off? He'd love you long time. No, not really.

Money wise probably. Term wise heck no. I wouldn't give an 8 year deal to anyone on the bruins , celtics, patriots, and Red Sox . For one I actually do agree with Felger.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I can see Rask getting traded in a few years once Subban and Svedberg are ready. So as long as Rask performs for the next few seasons and Svedberg and Subban continue to develop, the Bruins will be in a great position.

That is a plausible scenario. And if Rask plays well he should bring a nice return.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
What are you talking about Rask has already taken the 28th best offensive team in the league to the second round of the playoffs. He would turn most teams in the league into contenders. The picks would likely be in the mid 20ies, we could get 4 Jordan Caron types. Oh yeay.

09-10 was interesting. He was obviously quite good, but the Bruins clicked at just the right times against Buffalo... and then crapped the bed against the Flyers (injuries played a big part) but Rask was just as big a part in the collapse as he was for getting them in that position.

No, Rask would not be able to make a crap team with no defense into a contender. Those picks, at least the first couple, would be top 10.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I'm on your side on this argument, Artemis... But your candor is grating to me as well. Mike's concerns are valid and what he's saying is not inflammatory. I'm not sure why you feel the need to treat those not entirely on board with such empty disdain.

I'll restate my opinion that Rask's deal is market value. We may not appreciate what market value is, but it is not as though Chiarelli can reset it when it is time for HIM to re-sign HIS players.

Rask is tied top 3 for salary next season; and tied for top 2 for cap hit next season for goalies.

For a cupless (I'm not going to count playing backup and zero games during the cup winning season), Vezina-less goalie, what market is dictating a guy to be on that echelon without fully proving himself? He has played great the last few seasons but has never played more than 45 games per NHL season.

COULD he be worth it? Yes. He still shows great potential, you can agree to disagree, but Rask is being paid ABOVE market value for what he has proven thus far. We're paying a premium for what Rask could do in the future. Is he the top 1-3 goalie in the league? That's pretty debatable. I'm just saying giving him over 10% of the cap hit, when it comes to putting a better team in front of him is gonna get dicey really quick.

Tuukka Rask Comparable Goalie Salaries

At the time of signing, let's bring the names of the goalies with cap hits that exceeded 10% of the cap at the time of signing: Lundquvist, Ryan Miller, Cam Ward, Kiprusoff. Since any of those guys signed, how many of them have won cups? Cap will likely go up, but we've already made significant roster changes to accommodate this overpaid contract, and will likely need to every season going forward.

Sam the Lion

**** the Habs
Aug 7, 2005
Texas USA
For those more recent HF'ers, there is much to be appreciated in a consistently reliable goaltender that gives the team a solid chance to win, on a night-in night-out basis. Makes it easier to watch games in Feb-Mar . . .
Many really, really good B's teams were supported by 'spotty' goaltending over the last few decades. Thomas/Rask is the best 'era' of B's netminders that I can ever remember. Moog/Lemelin were more a true tandem, vs passing the torch - if that makes sense.
It is a great comfort to have a solid, consistent goaltender locked up for a long time, no doubt - - - in a perfect world.
This is NOT a perfect world, it's a CAP world.

My beloved B's drafted a potential franchise goaltender in M-Subban. Hopefully, our backup G (not Subban) is capable to spell Rask for at least a quarter of a full regular season. Subban is now aware that his motivation is to unseat Svedberg as top bench doorman.
Given all that . . .
I believe PC went 2 years too long @ 7kk.
8 yrs @ 6.25 would have been tough, but OK.

Yikes . . . it's ON folks.

Orrthebest

May 25, 2012
Me being new to the sport doesn't have anything to do with me suggesting chia should be fired. Furthermore it's not like I started watching hockey yesterday so can people stop using that term.

So what would have done then? Taken Rask to arbitration where he was likely to be awarded 7 million or more? Traded him for a mid first round pick? Let Rask sign an offer sheet for more that 7 million (I am sure the Oilers would have offered more)?

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Rask is tied top 3 for salary next season; and tied for top 2 for cap hit next season for goalies.

For a cupless (I'm not going to count playing backup and zero games during the cup winning season), Vezina-less goalie, what market is dictating a guy to be on that echelon without fully proving himself? He has played great the last few seasons but has never played more than 45 games per NHL season.

COULD he be worth it? Yes. He still shows great potential, you can agree to disagree, but Rask is being paid ABOVE market value for what he has proven thus far. We're paying a premium for what Rask could do in the future. Is he the top 1-3 goalie in the league? That's pretty debatable. I'm just saying giving him over 10% of the cap hit, when it comes to putting a better team in front of him is gonna get dicey really quick.

At the time of signing, let's bring the names of the goalies with cap hits that exceeded 10% of the cap at the time of signing: Lundquvist, Ryan Miller, Cam Ward, Kiprusoff. Since any of those guys signed, how many of them have won cups? Cap will likely go up, but we've already made significant roster changes to accommodate this overpaid contract, and will likely need to every season going forward.

He has the best career save percentage ever. The only thing he hasn't proven himself is playing a full ~65 game regular season workload and showing he won't wear down. He did play 75 games this season including playoffs and time in Europe.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
He has the best career save percentage ever. The only thing he hasn't proven himself is playing a full ~65 game regular season workload and showing he won't wear down. He did play 75 games this season including playoffs and time in Europe.

Fair enough with the 75 games including all leagues... but still, proving to play a full starters body of work seems pretty important.

I still think it's debatable that any other team would offer him more money than he just got. He is tied for being the highest paid goalie in the league. You think any team would go much higher than that?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
So what would have done then? Taken Rask to arbitration where he was likely to be awarded 7 million or more? Traded him for a mid first round pick? Let Rask sign an offer sheet for more that 7 million (I am sure the Oilers would have offered more)?

Funny that they didn't then... since they had ample time to do so. (or maybe they did, and that's why his cap is so high now).

I find it very hard to believe any other team would offer him a larger contract (in addition to losing the compensation that would go along with that).

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Arbitration would have given him nowhere close to the salary he has now. He had little but small sample sizes going in his favor. Wasn't even a Vezina finalist.

He wasn't going to be traded for a mid-first round pick.

If the Oilers wanted to give him 7+ million... that would be incredible. Ference is now on their top pairing basically. We'd still be getting a top 5 pick at least next season, who knows after that.

Orrthebest

May 25, 2012

2 things: One the Cap is artificially low this year according to Stan Bowman the cap should be 70.2 million which would make Rask come in at under 10%. Two Rask has far superior stats to any of the 4 goalies on that list.

Plus as soon as next year the cap should be close to 75 million unless the Canadian Dollar drops drastically.

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
Love the term.

Hate the cap hit.

Chiarelli always seems to overpay "his boys". We never seem to get the "home town discount".

Elated he's back though, he's elite. I think Pete could have ground him down a bit.

NMF

May 24, 2012
09-10 was interesting. He was obviously quite good, but the Bruins clicked at just the right times against Buffalo... and then crapped the bed against the Flyers (injuries played a big part) but Rask was just as big a part in the collapse as he was for getting them in that position.

No, Rask would not be able to make a crap team with no defense into a contender. Those picks, at least the first couple, would be top 10.

With all due respect, you would rather have one of the top five goalies in the game right now offer sheeted for picks? I guess i don't get it. Why lose a known commodity, who brought us to a cup final this year, for unknowns 3-5 years away from contributing? Without Rask we don't make it to the cup final. In the Pitt series the team played well defensively, but lets not kid ourselves without Rask between the pipes its a much different series.

Just going on your theory that the first couple of picks are top ten pick. There is a decent probability that the players selected never contribute to the Bruins. Look at Seguin. A surefire superstar coming out of the draft, who debatably could have been taken number one. People are now asking themselves if he we ill ever reach heights that so many thought he would. There are so many variables that could off set a high draft picks career. There have been so many players that have tore up the junior ranks and were a high pick that never found themselves in the NHL. The NHL is a different animal and you never know if a sure fire top ten picks game will translate well to the best league in the world. The Bruins time to win is from now to the next five or six years. So again I ask, why waste a known commodity that is phenomenal at his position for for unknowns that would never contribute greatly to the team that is presently going after cups?

Afam*

Fair questions. Good ones. I would have let him play on a one year deal or tried to make rask accept a 6 year deal and a AAV of 6 million. If worst comes to worst, you let other teams offsheet him and collect the four first round picks. No player is beyond being traded. Rask is a good goalie but not a great one. We can replace him. Don't be surprised if rask is traded at one point to make room for subban. One of subban or rask is getting traded unless one of them doesn't mind being a backup for a long time.

Back to my point, I wouldn't have given rask a 8 year deal. What's the point of negotiating if you just going to crave in. I'm beginning to wonder if rask asked for a 10 year deal and chia settled for 8. If not chia just got schooled. I wouldn't take him to arbitration, but i would have let him play on a one year deal.

Guys rask can be replaced. We are not talking about a Goat goal tender here.

CJDolan

Sep 17, 2012
Fair questions. Good ones. I would have let him play on a one year deal or tried to make rask accept a 6 year deal and a AAV of 6 million. If worst comes to worst, you let other teams offsheet him and collect the four first round picks. No player is beyond being traded. Rask is a good goalie but not a great one. We can replace him. Don't be surprised if rask is traded at one point to make room for subban. One of subban or rask is getting traded unless one of them doesn't mind being a backup for a long time.

Back to my point, I wouldn't have given rask a 8 year deal. What's the point of negotiating if you just going to crave in. I'm beginning to wonder if rask asked for a 10 year deal and chia settled for 8. If not chia just got schooled. I wouldn't take him to arbitration, but i would have let him play on a one year deal.

You're right, Rask can be replaced. Any player can be replaced. Rask would be replaced with a much lesser goalie when the Bruins are clearly in win now mode. They traded seguin for a much more established player and signed iginla to a one year deal. They see Chara's window is going to start closing soon, so they are trying to rack up cups before the window closes.

Right now we have sved and Malcolm in the organization, neither of which are ready. So if we take the picks, what do we do this season? We save 7 mil in cap space and sign who exactly to play goalie? There aren't many SCF caliber goalies floating around the free agent market.

The guy arguably should've gotten a vezina nomination and definitely was the best goalie in the playoffs this year. I don't like the deal much either, but its MUCH better than draft picks and a plug in goalie.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont

So you think the Bruins could have only gotten a 1st round pick for him, yet the Oilers would have offersheeted him for MORE (either two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd or FOUR 1sts)?

Little flawed logic there

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
I'm just saying giving him over 10% of the cap hit, when it comes to putting a better team in front of him is gonna get dicey really quick.

It's not wise to make direct comparisons of Kiprusoffs, Quicks hell even Luongo's cap hits, since the rules have changed. You can't circumvent the cap.

We will see that when this contract ends, Rask will be worth 10 million and won't even be in top 10 highest paid goalkeepers while being one of the top 3 NHL goalies.

I'll go as far as to predict that Rask will get a higher cap hit next time he signs.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
I have no problem with this. If there's one thing i've learned to trust chia with is contracts.

People like to say he overpays..well usually he looks like a genius after a year. And when he doesnt, he seems to always make it work.

We'll be fine.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
One of subban or rask is getting traded
The only thing Subban has going for him at the moment is his last name. There's no certainty he will even become an NHL goaltender, but because of his big brother people here assume he's going to carry the torch. This is the Rask era and there's about a dozen drafts and chances to pick up a goalie of the future before he's gone.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
The only thing Subban has going for him at the moment is his last name. There's no certainty he will even become an NHL goaltender, but because of his big brother people here assume he's going to carry the torch. This is the Rask era and there's about a dozen drafts and chances to pick up a goalie of the future before he's gone.

Funny that, when it become to Rask, he still have to prove something while Subban, who didn't play a single in the NHL, will be great. Some people need to get real: you're not going to pay less then the market for elite numbers/performances. People who think that the Bruins will be better with a duo of Bryzgalov/insert name need to watch more hockey and get some knowledge of the game. That's probably the same people who said that trading Seguin was mistake because his "potential" is untapped. Honestly, you look at Seguin/Rask numbers and i can tell you that i'm far more confortable to pay Rask 7 per then Seguin 6 per...

j44thor

Mar 27, 2008

You might want to bone up on the new CBA. Max contract length is 8yrs, 7yrs if they are not already on the team.

Rask on a 1yr deal is a great idea, if you don't mind losing him as a UFA next season for nothing.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
at least he is signed.
he was a core player and needed to be signed.
cap should be going up a bunch the next couple years anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00