Confirmed with Link: Rask signed

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
7 million a year is really nothing when you think about it. Comparing it to other sports salaries put things is real perspective. The cap will go up eventually.

Bad Hat Harry

Michael Scarn
Sep 27, 2010
Boston, MA
All the people complaining about our horrible goaltending over the years are now complaining that we've signed a good goaltender for a long-term deal. Some people are never happy.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Fair questions. Good ones. I would have let him play on a one year deal or tried to make rask accept a 6 year deal and a AAV of 6 million. If worst comes to worst, you let other teams offsheet him and collect the four first round picks. No player is beyond being traded. Rask is a good goalie but not a great one. We can replace him. Don't be surprised if rask is traded at one point to make room for subban. One of subban or rask is getting traded unless one of them doesn't mind being a backup for a long time.

Back to my point, I wouldn't have given rask a 8 year deal. What's the point of negotiating if you just going to crave in. I'm beginning to wonder if rask asked for a 10 year deal and chia settled for 8. If not chia just got schooled. I wouldn't take him to arbitration, but i would have let him play on a one year deal.

Guys rask can be replaced. We are not talking about a Goat goal tender here.

I can't imagine Rask would've agreed to another 1-year deal. It seems pretty clear that both sides were aware that this was a "prove yourself" deal that he just finished. They gambled and he won.

Anyway, I would have liked a slightly lower cap hit, but overall I'm glad he's locked up. Once the cap goes up, the money won't be a problem.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I'm on your side on this argument, Artemis... But your candor is grating to me as well. Mike's concerns are valid and what he's saying is not inflammatory. I'm not sure why you feel the need to treat those not entirely on board with such empty disdain.

I'll restate my opinion that Rask's deal is market value. We may not appreciate what market value is, but it is not as though Chiarelli can reset it when it is time for HIM to re-sign HIS players.

A late night and massive, cumulative complaining drove me off the deep end. My apologies.

RunFromTheBear

Jun 20, 2010
7 million a year is really nothing when you think about it. Comparing it to other sports salaries put things is real perspective. The cap will go up eventually.

2014-15 is going to be rough putting a team together.

The Bruins have $45M committed to 13 players
Then add:
$2.1M bonus carryover
$7M Bergeron - UFA
$4M Seidenberg - UFA
$2M Krug - RFA
$1M Bartkowski - RFA
Iginla and Thornton aren't re-signed.

We are now at $61.1M for 18 players and need the following:

BU Goalie - Svedberg - $1M
RW2 - Fraser - $1M - RFA
RW3 - Spooner - $.9M
RW4 - Knight - $.9M
13th - Smith - $1M - RFA

Now we are at $65.9M with a whole bunch of 1st or 2nd year players in the lineup. Lets hope that cap really jumps!

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
I'm all for this deal. The Bruins have built their team from the net out, and they've solidified the goaltending position for a long time. The cap hit is a lot this year, but as the cap grows over the next 8 years I expect we're going to be happy that Rask's signed instead of negotiating a new contract.

Keep up the good work Chiarelli.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Love the term.

Hate the cap hit.

Chiarelli always seems to overpay "his boys". We never seem to get the "home town discount".

Elated he's back though, he's elite. I think Pete could have ground him down a bit.

It's already been noted, but Bergeron, Chara and Seidenberg signed for below market value on their last contracts, and Rask actually did as well, last year. Brickley also noted on NESN last night that Chiarelli offered Rask a long-term deal last year but it was Rask who wanted the one-year contract.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Everyone needs to pump the freakin brakes. Boston just signed one of the best goalies in the league long term. This is why we can't have nice things.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It's already been noted, but Bergeron, Chara and Seidenberg signed for below market value on their last contracts, and Rask actually did as well, last year. Brickley also noted on NESN last night that Chiarelli offered Rask a long-term deal last year but it was Rask who wanted the one-year contract.

Probably cuz rask knew if he played well he would score 56 mil. It was a tiny risk huge reward

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Probably cuz rask knew if he played well he would score 56 mil. It was a tiny risk huge reward

To me, that was a 50/50 proposition for Rask. Could have been injuried and then... Fans need to ask themselves how many business man would be willing to invest in a project with a 50% chances of failure...

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

For sure, he was betting on himself, but I don't think the risk was tiny. It speaks pretty well of a goalie that he had the nads to bet on himself the way he did, IMO. Rask is one competitve, self-confident SOB.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
With Rask making $$$$ for the next 8 years what will happen with our Goalie prospects.

Trade them all away for picks ? Develop them, then trade them away with the hope they do not amount to much ? (after this joke of a contract it would be funny to see one of them turn into a stud in a few years)

Im sure Subbans camp will ask out and who could blame him.

8 years :shakehead

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
All the people complaining about our horrible goaltending over the years are now complaining that we've signed a good goaltender for a long-term deal. Some people are never happy.

Agreed, and many here are too young to recall the days/decades of this organization pushing various talents out the door by continually keeping the wallet shut and consistently being in contract disputes

If Tuukka was signed for 6 mill per.....still be loads here up in arms. I`m a fan of this team and game, love it and use it for my escape from life for a few hours a few times a week. At the end of the day, they are using not one cent of my money, and life goes on whether a deal goes sour, or this team win er all, either way, to watch Chia continue to re-sign players he considers paramount to the success of this team will always be refreshing.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
To me, that was a 50/50 proposition for Rask. Could have been injuried and then... Fans need to ask themselves how many business man would be willing to invest in a project with a 50% chances of failure...

Dont kid yourself, he knew he had the Bruins by the short hairs either way.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Great goalie, glad he's signed. Fair cap hit. Scary term.

Hopefully nothing happens to derail Rask over the next decade and the cap goes up so much that this contract looks like a bargain in 3-4 years.

Czerk

Feb 13, 2007
Riverview
What was the other option here? Tade him and sign Bryz?:laugh:

Force him to take less money?

Let him go sign as a RFA first, see what another team signs him for, then weigh your options.

I love Rask, way more then TT... but this has just handcuffed us with the cap for at least 2-3 season.

If he signed as a RFA for 7 mil, we would get 4 first round picks! I would take that in a second.

Chia should not have like Khoby go over 200k????? Signed Johnson at 600k but would not give Khoby 800k????? WTF!!!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Let him go sign as a RFA first, see what another team signs him for, then weigh your options.

I love Rask, way more then TT... but this has just handcuffed us with the cap for at least 2-3 season.

If he signed as a RFA for 7 mil, we would get 4 first round picks! I would take that in a second.

Chia should not have like Khoby go over 200k????? Signed Johnson at 600k but would not give Khoby 800k????? WTF!!!

Four first round picks and who stopping the puck between the pipes???? Sorry, that would be a disaster

Afam*

Venting done. Now let's root for rask to succeed. I'm happy he got paid . Now leads us to Lord Stanley Rask.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
why or how anyone here thought he was going to get anything less is beyond me, all I read for weeks was speculation from the "experts" about it being a 7 mill deal, limited NT option, hardly a handcuffing situation IMO, there`s risk as there is with any deal but...

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
and often what separates good from great businessmen is the great one`s are willing to take the risks

Being in Business for myself for over 30 years I will add there is lots of LUCK involved along the way.

My point was he was not taking any risks (other than getting hurt)

He was getting a long term contract either way, so his risk was what 8m vs 5-6m ?

Poor guy how did he ever sleep at night this past season :sarcasm:

Czerk

Feb 13, 2007
Riverview
That is a plausible scenario. And if Rask plays well he should bring a nice return.

Chia likes to give NMC and NTC in his long term over paid contracts, but we will have to wait and see if Rask go one....

So sick of hearing we have to dump cap space and then they do this.

This kind of money is for UFAs.... not RFAs.... especially one who was only a starter for one season and then the shorten lock out season. Just doesn't make sense!

Still want Rask as our goalie, badly. I also want a bunch of other high prices players we cannot sign.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Market value is being thrown around all over the place, let me ask you this , many UFA'S got market value last week , How many of them are worth it? Answer: almost none of them.

Czerk

Feb 13, 2007
Riverview
Four first round picks and who stopping the puck between the pipes???? Sorry, that would be a disaster

Similar to who is going to score goals? You can't win the games 0-0...

The point was they should have signed Khoby and then let Rask explore the RFA market. I am sure nobody was going to give him 7 mil... 5.5-6, yes... but 7 for 8 years? NOPE! So if he gets signed 5-6, then you match, save 1 mil, which is a lot if you do that for 6 or 7 contracts, that is a whole other player.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
With Rask making $$$$ for the next 8 years what will happen with our Goalie prospects.

Trade them all away for picks ? Develop them, then trade them away with the hope they do not amount to much ? (after this joke of a contract it would be funny to see one of them turn into a stud in a few years)

Im sure Subbans camp will ask out and who could blame him.

8 years :shakehead

The pro athlete's mantra is "worry only about what you can control" - guys say it all the time, for good reason. Rask could get hit by a bus tomorrow; as Yoda said, always changing is the future. What Subban needs to do is work his tail off and be the best he can be, and let the future take care of itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad