Confirmed with Link: Rask signed

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
None of that allowed here...

You must be a hater or fluffer. Once you pick your side, then you must just post either 100% negative, or 100% positive posts.. If you don't then you must just post sarcastic comments while cyber high fiving members of your team.

Is there something wrong with that???:p:

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Bryzgalov was 31 when he signed a 9-year deal; Louongo was 31 when he signed a 12-year deal. DiPietro was only 25, but his deal was for 15 years.

Rask is 26 and is signed for 8 years.

I was never really good at math, but I can see a distinct difference here.

Guess you missed the big picture i was trying to paint. All those goalies started to suck after signing huge contracts and have been brought out or become a ball and chain. Add MA Fluery to that list as well. All I was trying to point to is that big contracts, more often than not, result in a decline of that player. Anyways, when Boston is up against the cap like they are, every million counts. Who plays 138 games and gets $7 million dollars? That must be a record of the fastest $7 million in NHL history. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just saying, glad we still have 2 buyouts left & JJ's deep pockets :D

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
No. I haven't. And no, I dont. I havent said one negative thing about anyone that loves this deal.

I've only addressed two people who continue to be dismissive and condescending to everyone that doesn't love this %100. You keep laughing at those people and trying to stifle conversation. You've done it post after post after post.

I've made 1 post in this thread that can be considered inflammatory (about this fanbase being spoiled) and I stand by it. Otherwise, I don't know what you're talking about.

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
Chiarelli gambled last summer with the one year bridge contract and lost. Rask gambled as well, and it paid off huge for him. Probably $2+ million extra a year huge...

Tuukka Ra$k™

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Guess you missed the big picture i was trying to paint. All those goalies started to suck after signing huge contracts and have been brought out or become a ball and chain. Add MA Fluery to that list as well. All I was trying to point to is that big contracts, more often than not, result in a decline of that player. Anyways, when Boston is up against the cap like they are, every million counts. Who plays 138 games and gets $7 million dollars? That must be a record of the fastest $7 million in NHL history. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nicklas Backstrom played for 3 seasons (every game) before signing a 10 year $67 million dollar contract.

A few more games, but he is a forward, so somewhat comparable.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
None of that allowed here...

You must be a hater or fluffer. Once you pick your side, then you must just post either 100% negative, or 100% positive posts.. If you don't then you must just post sarcastic comments while cyber high fiving members of your team.

WBC8 you're one of the best posters here but I think this is unfair because it sort of implies that the people who have argued that this is a good deal must all be 100% fluffers.

It's possible to agree with a lot of the misgivings some people have about this deal while still thinking it's a good move overall. The term and money concerns me because it represents a big risk that could hurt the franchise in the future, but ultimately I don't believe there was a better move for Chiarelli to make. If that makes me a pom pom waver or fluffer then so be it.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto

The big difference here is it is not Rask's fault that the Bruins signed Tim Thomas. On any other team in the League, Rask would not have had to wait until he was 26 to take over the #1 job and thus could have cashed in for bigger money much earlier than he did here. It is clear to me that part of this contract is reward for the patience and perseverance that Rask has shown in working his way up the ranks. He has been a perfect picture of consistency and quite frankly has only gotten better every year. Time will tell, but I'm with the B's management in their belief that in 4-6 years, this contract might look like a great bargain. It's not like the guy came out of nowhere. He was a 1st round draft choice who was quite simply incredible in his final World Junior tournament. For those who say "what if he gets injured?", I say "what if he doesn't?"

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
The big difference here is it is not Rask's fault that the Bruins signed Tim Thomas. On any other team in the League, Rask would not have had to wait until he was 26 to take over the #1 job and thus could have cashed in for bigger money much earlier than he did here. It is clear to me that part of this contract is reward for the patience and perseverance that Rask has shown in working his way up the ranks. He has been a perfect picture of consistency and quite frankly has only gotten better every year. Time will tell, but I'm with the B's management in their belief that in 4-6 years, this contract might look like a great bargain. It's not like the guy came out of nowhere. He was a 1st round draft choice who was quite simply incredible in his final World Junior tournament. For those who say "what if he gets injured?", I say "what if he doesn't?"

Good point. Also, I thought Rask easily could have played more games in the 11-12 season. Shorter sample size, but his numbers were better than Thomas' numbers last year and there were several stretches where Rask put up a really solid game (sometimes as good as a shutout) and then instead of going with Rask again, Claude would go back to Thomas. I remember it frustrating a lot of people on this board at the time. Rask arguably outplayed Thomas at points that year but presumably b/c of seniority, Thomas kept getting most of the starts.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
To the people worried about the length, by then they'll already be more rules for buyouts if it came to that. I'm not worried....

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can

Hope you're right, but I still say $5.5 should've been enough. I don't understand why it took 2 weeks to sign Rask if Chia didn't want to negotiate. Should've been a one day thing. Rask wanted $7 million and he got it and then some.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
WBC8 you're one of the best posters here but I think this is unfair because it sort of implies that the people who have argued that this is a good deal must all be 100% fluffers.

It's possible to agree with a lot of the misgivings some people have about this deal while still thinking it's a good move overall. The term and money concerns me because it represents a big risk that could hurt the franchise in the future, but ultimately I don't believe there was a better move for Chiarelli to make. If that makes me a pom pom waver or fluffer then so be it.

You explained why you think it's a good deal...and you have some concerns...that is perfect IMO...You always call them like you see them...

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Only time shall tell on this deal, as there are many other teams that have signed goalies to a longer term deal. So yes the Bruins did sign him to a long contract, but there are many other teams that have done the same.

Luongo signed 12 years
Quick 10 years
Rinne/Fleury 7 years
Lundqvist/Price/Ward/Smith/Howard 6 years

Thats is basically 1/3 the league that has signed a goalie to a long term contract.

Luongo, yes his contract length is a little long, but he is still a very serviceable goalie, Fleury is suspect, but the rest I would take on my team.

All in all, time shall tell, just like the never ending debate of who won the Kessel trade.:laugh:

Last edited:

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
I think a Quick contract would've been great. $5.8/year-10years. Guy played 250 games, won a cup and was the MVP of that run. And he gets $5.8! Rask plays 138 games, made it to the final and he gets $7 million in a year where the cap goes down dramatically? Somebody has been talking to Thomas too much:sarcasm:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Not really sure what Chia was thinking all along here.Bruins had nothing even close to NHL ready in nets other then Rask and Chia could had him locked up for couple yrs last contract for way less money.I do not like tying up 7 million on a goalie and Chia is to blame for that not Rasks great play. Rasks agent knew he had them by the junk here.SHABBY GM ing this time.But what ya gonna do ?

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
@TheBruinsBlog: (1/2) Chia on this year's cap: “We’re fine. We’ve got space, we’ve got Savard LTI. We’re in good shape

"@TheBruinsBlog: (2/2) We’re fine. To commit to a contract like this, obviously we’ve got to put certain pieces in place in advance,but we’re in good shape.""

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Only time shall tell on this deal, as there are many other teams that have signed goalies to a longer term deal. So yes the Bruins did sign him to a long contract, but there are many other teams that have done the same.

Luongo signed 12 years
Quick 10 years
Rinne/Fleury 7 years
Lundqvist/Price/Ward/Smith/Howard 6 years

Thats is basically 1/3 the league that has signed a goalie to a long term contract.

Luongo, yes his contract length is a little long, but he is still a very serviceable goalie, Fleury is suspect, but the rest I would take on my team.

All in all, time shall tell, just like the never ending debate of who won the Kessel trade.:laugh:

That's just the thing. People are freaking out saying Rask will collapse by the end of the contract and there's no way he'll see the end of it and are saying long term goalie contracts never work out. Besides Fleury those are all big name guys who I would take on my team. Just because the contract is long does not mean it is horrible.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Does anyone know if there is a time limit on the 2 compliance buyouts that each team has?

It's a gamble giving a goalie an 8 year contract, so I wonder if B's management is thinking that if it all goes to hell in a hand-basket they have the buyout option that they'll try and save.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Does anyone know if there is a time limit on the 2 compliance buyouts that each team has?

It's a gamble giving a goalie an 8 year contract, so I wonder if B's management is thinking that if it all goes to hell in a hand-basket they have the buyout option that they'll try and save.

next summer is last chance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad