Confirmed with Link: Rask signed

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Are either of you even reading the numerous, rational concerns over this deal?

Or are you just both fighting strawmen?

Look, everyone, and I mean everyone, would love it if Rask signed for less money. The term, honestly, I don't mind. It's eight years, not 15, and he's 26, not 33. I love that he's locked up for a significant number of his UFA years, considering that the cap is going to escalate in the coming seasons.

Anyway, of course nobody's cheering paying Rask a ton of money. It'd be great if he signed for significantly less. But to quote Eliot in "E.T.," this is reality. Rask is one of the best goalies on the world, and he's going to be paid the going rate. Complain if you wish, but I have to note that as a Bruins fan for four decades, I find such complaints hilarious.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
To all those who say this is fair market value, explain to me how other teams are able to re-sign their own players at below market value

As previously stated, Rask has already signed two cap-friendly deals with Chiarelli and the Bruins. Perhaps "below market value" was no longer the ambition... And FAIR market value was the negotiation instead.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
eight years is still a long time for a 26 year old.

seven million on the cap, even when the cap goes back up, is still a lot of money on the cap.

rask played outstanding last year. now comes the fun part: repeating it. playing like a #1. not being as prone to bad games and mental mistakes. he's going to be paid like a #1 for eight years now. the onus goes to him. the team put up.

i have my concerns. i like him a lot, think he's a swell guy and all that jazz. he's now the highest paid player on the team.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Okay, anyone up for a lengthy post? If not, keep going. I'll try to take it in numbers to help.

1) Rask was a RFA. How many teams do you think would have beat this deal? Obviously this is pure speculation, but was a 7-year-deal out there at over a 7 million cap hit? I don't know, but it seems very unlikely. So who exactly did the Bruins negotiate against? The answer would seem to be themselves. Rask got the years and the money. What did the Bruins get exactly? This is a total, 100% win for Rask. The Bruins are going to need him to play as a Top 5 goalie in the world for this deal to work out. But that also entails staying healthy for the overwhelming majority of the deal. People forget that sometimes. Cam Ward has been really good....when healthy. How often has that been?

2) He has never played a full season as a number 1 goaltender. I have been harping on this for years, but there is a major, major difference between being the guy for half a season and doing it from Camp to May or June. It isn't Rask's fault they had a stupid lockout (look at that cost certainty we paid four months of the season for!), but I'd feel a lot better about this deal if he had done it even one time.

3) These deals just don't seem to work out. The MAF contract seemed like a good investment at the time. So did the Price deal. Anybody want those?

Goalies are a weird breed. And how often do we see a guy play lights out for a year and then just kinda turn into a JAG (Just Another Guy....in this case, Just Another Goalie). What would Peter Chiarelli offered Rask if he just completed Jose Theodore's 2001-2002 season? 9 million a year?

Rask certainly has all the talent in the world, and he seems to have the competitive drive to be great. But man, goalies are just so hard to predict going forward. For every Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur their are thousands of Jim Carey's (96 Vezina winner) or for a closer to home touch, Pete Peeters (83 Vezina).

4) Not sure I can fault Chiarelli for not signing him to a longer deal last off-season. From everything we read, he wanted a 3-year deal, it was Rask that wanted the 1-year-prove-myself deal.

It worked. Good for him.

5) I understand the argument that if you gave Rask 4 or 5 years, that his next contract could end up costing you 10 million with the inflated cap. To that I say, "So what?"

My problem is the length. It is the length of the contract that will really come back to bite a team in the ass more than the money. Pay Rask 7.5 for 5 instead. Because, at the end of the 5 years, if he is worth it, you pay it. And if he is not, you re glad you don't have a bad contract for three more years.

I have no problem paying a guy that deserves it. And maybe he deserves that much next year, or for the next few years, but beyond that? We just don't know. So let's find out and go from there. If 5 years from now our biggest problem is that Rask is so awesome that we have to pay him way more, guess what? ****ING A Yeah baby! That means he just rocked for 5 years and we can keep him for more.

But what if this deal doesn't work out? Then what? How long does a bad contract destroy your team now?

What if the Islanders had no way to get rid of DiPietro's deal right now? How long would that anchor be weighing on the Islanders? 24 years? If they just did a normal buyout? Remember, no more burying in the minors too.

6) At the end of this, I think Tuukka Rask is really, really, really good. I trust that he won't get fat and lazy with his big deal in place. Would I like to see him do it for a year or two, start-to-finish first? Obviously. But it didn't seem to work out for him or us that way. So I am glad he will be our goalie. You need a goalie in the NHL. The better your goalie, the more room for error your team has.

This is not a ***** about having Tuuukka, just some reasonable concerns about the deal we gave him.

Your post isn't long enough. Please continue, you are right on.

And if a team offers the same? You've just pissed off your franchise goalie and now there is only Chad Johnson or, *ahem* signing Tim Thomas. That gets you nowhere.

Tuukka didn't just luck into the Stanley Cup Finals, he was the single most important component. And he just got paid requisite to his performance.

People, we can't predict the unknown. Future performance is just that, in the future and, although predictable, still unknowable. All I know is, I am going to enjoy watching a team, regardless of how much it has paid its FRANCHISE goalie, that will compete for years to come, even if Rask's contract doesn't come full circle.

Enjoy what we have here right now. It could be a lot worse.

If a team offers the same? The Bruins match. If a team offers more? The Bruins laugh and take 4+ 1st round picks because that team is a crap team if it can afford the contract and those picks are going to be damn good.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

If a team offers the same? The Bruins match. If a team offers more? The Bruins laugh and take 4+ 1st round picks because that team is a crap team if it can afford the contract and those picks are going to be damn good.

So who's their goalie?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Look, everyone, and I mean everyone, would love it if Rask signed for less money. The term, honestly, I don't mind. It's eight years, not 15, and he's 26, not 33. I love that he's locked up for a significant number of his UFA years, considering that the cap is going to escalate in the coming seasons.

Anyway, of course nobody's cheering paying Rask a ton of money. It'd be great if he signed for significantly less. But to quote Eliot in "E.T.," this is reality. Rask is one of the best goalies on the world, and he's going to be paid the going rate. Complain if you wish, but I have to note that as a Bruins fan for four decades, I find such complaints hilarious.

So you arent here for discussion. Just to label anyone that raises reasonable points as complainers.

Awesome. Great contribution.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
As previously stated, Rask has already signed two cap-friendly deals with Chiarelli and the Bruins. Perhaps "below market value" was no longer the ambition... And FAIR market value was the negotiation instead.

How cap friendly were they? How much does a back up goalie make? How much does a guy trying to prove himself as a starter make? Not $5 million. Those weren't team friendly or cap friendly, those were market value as well. If Rask had signed that last contract for multiple years, then it is.

Afam*

It's just predictable nowadays...the same people hate things 100%, the same pom pom wavers love and endorse everything 100%...Never any room for discussion...Tuukka is a great, great goaltender...the cap number and term are ridiculous however..Kudos to Tuuk's agent however for totally destroying our front office in these negotiations....

Second that. I wouldn't mention names but you would think some of the posters work for the bruins the the way they are defending them. We dare question a single chia move and we get attacked by posters like Artemis and co. That's the reason i try to avoid commenting on certain threads this days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Make-Believe

Oh good grief.

If you want to rend your garments over this, go right ahead. I give up.

I'm on your side on this argument, Artemis... But your candor is grating to me as well. Mike's concerns are valid and what he's saying is not inflammatory. I'm not sure why you feel the need to treat those not entirely on board with such empty disdain.

I'll restate my opinion that Rask's deal is market value. We may not appreciate what market value is, but it is not as though Chiarelli can reset it when it is time for HIM to re-sign HIS players.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Rask played pretty much great in the playoffs this year. As long as he is consistently performing well next year and years to come *I suppose* he's worth 7M...:cheers:

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
^ It really comes down to drafting. When you click on picks, you're able to replenish the ranks in your pro club with entry level contracts and let some of your veterans walk in free agency.

When you trade your picks at the deadline for guys like Jaromir Jagr and whiff on the Zach Hammils of the world, you have to either overpay for a good player or settle for a plug.

I don't totally disagree with you you as I myself have been critical of Chiarelli's drafting but it is worth noting that the Bruins let Andrew Ference walk and sign a 4 year deal for $13 million until he is 38 because they have guys like Hamilton and Krug coming.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Okay, anyone up for a lengthy post? If not, keep going. I'll try to take it in numbers to help.

This is not a ***** about having Tuuukka, just some reasonable concerns about the deal we gave him.

Spot on Mike.

Another thing, besides him becoming a UFA soon, I don't really get why we had to have that full length. I think we all know what he is capable of. I honestly doubt that there will be any point in 6 or so years when we say "damn I'm glad PC locked him up young for only 7 mil because hes worth so much more now".

Bleh. Love Rask, really hoping I don't hate this signing in a few years...

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I see a lot of folks complaining about this deal and none of them offering a realistic alternative solution.

Afam*

So what would you have done? Let him file for arbitration and then hit unrestricted free agency next year when the Cap rises over $70M and tons of teams have massive money to throw at an in his prime superstar goalie?

Guys like freakin' Clarkson and Horton (good players, hardly superstars) got 7 year deals. If you want to keep your guys, it's going to require mega deals in the NHL now. Get ready to see lots of front offices "destroyed" in negotiations going forward. Including any day now when Patrice Bergeron and his God only knows how many concussions inks an 8 year deal that I'm guessing a lot less people will have an issue with just because they like him more despite the fact it's FAR more risky than Rask's deal.

And for the record, I'd give Bergeron 8 years too because your hands are tied. When the market is 7 years for good but not great FA's nearing 30, you have to pay up big bucks to keep your core players now. Simple as that.

Exactly I'm not giving bergy a 8 year deal. Let the flaming begin. Bergeron has 4 or so concussions now and chia is going to give him a 8 year deal. Honestly if chia didn't trade for loui and get Iginla, I would have wanted him to be fired. He is handing out 8 year deals like its candy.He has already regretted a long term contract with Seguin. Please let's not make it two.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Oh good grief.

If you want to rend your garments over this, go right ahead. I give up.

I really like to imagine you saying "We already have Raycroft! Why would we give up him for Rask?" before the trade happened

And here you are scoffing at anyone who dares suggest that it isn't Chiarellis best work haha

Mr. Make-Believe

How cap friendly were they? How much does a back up goalie make? How much does a guy trying to prove himself as a starter make? Not $5 million. Those weren't team friendly or cap friendly, those were market value as well. If Rask had signed that last contract for multiple years, then it is.

If you don't believe that Rask could have gotten more on either of those deals, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Hell, he could have asked to be dealt after Thomas signd his fourvyear deal for a chance to play somewhere he could be a starter. Instead, he stuck it out in Boston and didn't even ask for the big bucks until he proved to the team that he could get it done in the playoffs.

Afam*

I'm on your side on this argument, Artemis... But your candor is grating to me as well. Mike's concerns are valid and what he's saying is not inflammatory. I'm not sure why you feel the need to treat those not entirely on board with such empty disdain.

I'll restate my opinion that Rask's deal is market value. We may not appreciate what market value is, but it is not as though Chiarelli can reset it when it is time for HIM to re-sign HIS players.

Well said. You couldn't have said it any better. They is nothing wrong with correcting someone if they happen to be wrong, but don't talk down to them.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
It's a bit of a gamble but I actually don't mind the term. The cap is going to go up over the next 8 years, no doubt. They are buying 7 UFA years and Tuukka's prime years. He is only 26 which is young for a goalie and just hitting his prime now.

imo, too much is being made of him never playing a full season. If you count his 20+ playoffs games (and Rask's play was definately part of the reason they played 4 rounds) he was over 50 this year. And he played in Europe. He didn't exactly wear down, he was the best goalie in the playoffs. Rask has always been highly regarded at every level including the NHL.

The price is high. There was no discount, if anything a bit of a premium for his playoff performance, but the cap will go up.

Previously Rask had signed short term cap friendly deals including a one year deal to prove it and he proved it. There was no other way this negotiation was going to go. If anything could have been done differently is was only signing him for a 1 year deal last year.

SlimBrady

Mar 1, 2007
Rask played pretty much great in the playoffs this year. As long as he is consistently performing well next year and years to come *I suppose* he's worth 7M...:cheers:

Yupp Rinne gets 7M a year and when did he ever get to the cup finals? Or Hank? Or Price?.....Rask is proven simple as that!

Orrthebest

May 25, 2012

What are you talking about Rask has already taken the 28th best offensive team in the league to the second round of the playoffs. He would turn most teams in the league into contenders. The picks would likely be in the mid 20ies, we could get 4 Jordan Caron types. Oh yeay.

Afam*

why would you fire chiarelli?!

I wouldn't fire him. He has done a good job besides giving a rask a 8 year deal. I hope he doesn't give bergy a 8 year deal. We all love bergy as a player, but with his concussion history I'm not giving him an 8 year deal.

Rask playing style doesn't translate we'll at age 36. Yikes. Rask relies on his quickness to get to the puck. Now picture him at age 36. I would have given rask a 6 year deal Worth 6 or 6.5 mil. That's fair enough for both sides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad