Somewhere Up North
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Toronto
Montreal
Vancouver
Calgary
Ottawa

Edmonton is the most improved by a Longshot. New revamped Defence led by Nurse/Keith, New offensive depth in Hyman, Foegele, and Ryan with potentially Holloway and Benson moving up to the big leagues. The only question mark is goaltending, but the two goalies in Smith/Koskinen were 8th in the NHL in Sv% so I think we will be OK.
Toronto took a hit losing Hyman and tried to replace Andersen the best they could. But that overpaid offensive stars is showing how important depth is. Winnipeg will be also a good team next year and should be close to a playoff spot. The rest will be fighting for one or won't even get in. Calgary was the biggest losers in this offseason. Lost Giordano and didn't improve the team that much. They should be rebuilding quite honestly than chasing a playoff spot every year.

Other than that, that's what I have based off this offseason so far.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think Montreal could be underrated again for next season. They went far and got something solid to build off of for the future. A lot think that will come in handy more down the road and I would agree but they could still benefit for next season. Got some decent young players who gained alot from that long run and that makes young competitive players hungry for more. I know it did for our young guys. I know different team and all but feeling they will be better than many think.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
OFFENSEDEFENSEGOALIESTOTAL
Toronto9.0Montreal7.5Montreal9.0Montreal24.0
Edmonton8.5Winnipeg7.5Winnipeg8.5Winnipeg24.0
Winnipeg8.0Toronto7.5Vancouver8.0Toronto23.5
Calgary7.5Edmonton7.0Calgary7.5Edmonton22.5
Montreal7.5Calgary7.0Toronto7.0Calgary22.0
Vancouver7.5Vancouver6.5Edmonton7.0Vancouver22.0
Ottawa7.0Ottawa6.0Ottawa6.5Ottawa19.5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That's how i see it.

I like your format.
As a Canuck Fan, I am just going to wait before I make any predictions
Our team is youngish (Core anyways)
I see our Offense being much improved, but I can not get a handle on the Defense,I think it is somewhat improved.
I see Calgary down more than others......

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I really only care about Edmonton, and I view them as a "could-go-either-way" club.

Really hard to get a handle of how recent shake-ups will affect them. Larsson and Bear were good and important players, but they were also the whipping-boys of the fanbase and seemed to squeeze their sticks in crucial moments. Maybe losing those players who were walking on egg-shells isn't a bad thing. I like Barrie and he's key to their all-important power-play, but he's also responsible for more dangerous scoring chances against than anybody else on the roster.

I don't know enough about Ceci and old-man Keith to say whether they can compensate for the lost players or not.

The goaltending also could go either way: Smith was brilliant last year, but can he do it again? Probability suggests not. I would expect a regression to the mean. Everyone has written off Koskinen (if indeed they keep him on -- they may yet deal him), but he only had a sub-par 26 games. For most of 2019-20 he was very good, so he could bounce back.

The perpetual issue in Edmonton is depth scoring, which is why they lost to Winnipeg -- 168 minutes of hockey before they could score one measly goal without McDrai on the ice. Very happy to have Hyman on board, but it's the third and fourth lines that need upgrading. That is the key, I think.

My guess is, Edmonton will struggle a bit in the first 10-odd games (as they did last year) breaking in the new players and shuffling the lines, but then they'll be fine and make the playoffs, especially as the competition in their division isn't strong. But as to whether they're a Cup contender anytime soon... they need more stable goaltending and better forwards on the third and fourth lines.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Toronto
Montreal
Vancouver
Calgary
Ottawa

Edmonton is the most improved by a Longshot. New revamped Defence led by Nurse/Keith, New offensive depth in Hyman, Foegele, and Ryan with potentially Holloway and Benson moving up to the big leagues. The only question mark is goaltending, but the two goalies in Smith/Koskinen were 8th in the NHL in Sv% so I think we will be OK.
Toronto took a hit losing Hyman and tried to replace Andersen the best they could. But that overpaid offensive stars is showing how important depth is. Winnipeg will be also a good team next year and should be close to a playoff spot. The rest will be fighting for one or won't even get in. Calgary was the biggest losers in this offseason. Lost Giordano and didn't improve the team that much. They should be rebuilding quite honestly than chasing a playoff spot every year.

Other than that, that's what I have based off this offseason so far.

I think Edmonton's D got quite a bit worst this off season and while their forward depth definitely improved their loses at D make this off season a wash at best. Also expecting a 39 year old Mike Smith to have another career year maybe asking a lot. I can see Edmonton offence dominate games while their D and goaltending loses them a lot of games. Still think they will make the POs but don't see them going far in the POs.

Winnipeg is the only Canadian team to truly improve over the off season and beside the Avs the Central is not the tough division it was a few years ago so I think the Jets easily make the PO's and if they can get pass the Avs (very tall order) they could go very deep into the POs.

Toronto basically broke even this off season so I don't see them being any better then last season. Since they now will be playing in the best division in the League I can see them having a tough time making the PO's. If they do make it I am calling right now that the Leafs will finally win a PO series but lose in the 2nd round.

The Habs are so tough to call, I can see them being one of the 3 top teams in the Atlantic or not making the PO's at all. I'll call that they will make the PO's and if their healthy they could go on another PO run.

Vancouver will have a very good offence and a terrible D. They are in trouble and if they played in any other division I'd say they would never make the POs. Playing in the Pacific means they have a chance even if only 3 Pacific team make the POs. If any of the Cal teams or Seattle make a serious push for the PO's the Canucks are out. If not Vancouver will end up 3rd in the Pacific.

Ottawa has great young talent that should improve but the Atlantic division means they will again be on the outside looking in to make the POs.

Calgary is a tire fire. If Sutter can get this team that has been at war with it self over the last few years to play as a TEAM they have a small chance of making the PO. I doubt it.

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Dillon, Nash, Poganski, Schmidt were Jets additions... in which Schmidt is the best one
that says it all

Vancouver improved the most, Oilers 2nd, Habs improved the 3nd most
Jets goaltending duo isn't good enough, nor is that D, after 5 best forwards
its a crap shoot for them

You're looking at the names and not who they replaced.
Poganski is a Moose p/up so I don't know why you are mentioning him.

Schmidt >>>>> Poolman
Dillon >>>>>>> Forbort
Maybe most importantly of all Stanley's emergence means that Beaulieu is further from being in the top 6 then he was before.

Dubois can easily outperform last year and that would make a huge difference to an already very strong forward group.

Hellebuyck is one of the best goalies in the league (behind one of the worst D's the last couple of years). I don't like the current b/up goalie plan but that can be addressed if needed.

The Jets didn't go out and over pay at Free Agency to bring in some flashy UFA.
But they did bring in players that perfectly fit the roles they are needed for.
Having DeMelo to insulate the 3rd pair and one of our young D (Stanley, Heinola or Samberg) is great insurance.

The Jets have removed the D that were the worst for being unable to pass the puck out of our zone. On paper the Jets will be much improved, like all teams we'll have to wait to see how that plays out.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
You're looking at the names and not who they replaced.
Poganski is a Moose p/up so I don't know why you are mentioning him.

Schmidt >>>>> Poolman
Dillon >>>>>>> Forbort
Maybe most importantly of all Stanley's emergence means that Beaulieu is further from being in the top 6 then he was before.

Dubois can easily outperform last year and that would make a huge difference to an already very strong forward group.

Hellebuyck is one of the best goalies in the league (behind one of the worst D's the last couple of years). I don't like the current b/up goalie plan but that can be addressed if needed.

The Jets didn't go out and over pay at Free Agency to bring in some flashy UFA.
But they did bring in players that perfectly fit the roles they are needed for.
Having DeMelo to insulate the 3rd pair and one of our young D (Stanley, Heinola or Samberg) is great insurance.

The Jets have removed the D that were the worst for being unable to pass the puck out of our zone. On paper the Jets will be much improved, like all teams we'll have to wait to see how that plays out.
No. On Van's D it's more like:
Out : Edler, Schmidt, Chatfield
In : OEL, Poolman, Schenn

Plus upgraded versions of (you hope) Hughes and Juolevi considering age/experience.

So... Reasons to be optimistic are there for Van despite Schmidt not being directly replaced by another $6m dman.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Injuries? Really?

"Excuses are like armpits, everyone has them and they all stink."

The Habs were the better team.
They didn't beat the Leafs, Jets and Knights by fluke.

But that is yesterdays news and now it is time to look forward to the 2021/22 season.

With three cracks at it, you don't think John Tavares might have helped the Leafs close out? Two of those three games went to OT. You don't think he was good for one goal? The Habs absolutely *weren't* the better team against the Leafs. The Leafs choked, it's as simple as that.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
With three cracks at it, you don't think John Tavares might have helped the Leafs close out? Two of those three games went to OT. You don't think he was good for one goal? The Habs absolutely *weren't* the better team against the Leafs. The Leafs choked, it's as simple as that.

The team that wins the series is the better team.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Why do some Leafs fans insist with coming up with a alternative past where the Leafs don't lose?

"If only Tavares didn't get hurt."
"Leafs didn't lose they chocked!" :facepalm:
"If only they won one OT game."

Get over it. None of these alternate past realities happened. The Habs were better. Live with it and move on.

BTW I'm not a Habs fan.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I like your format.
As a Canuck Fan, I am just going to wait before I make any predictions
Our team is youngish (Core anyways)
I see our Offense being much improved, but I can not get a handle on the Defense,I think it is somewhat improved.
I see Calgary down more than others......

Oilers have a worse offence than the Leafs?

They have the 2 best players in the league and just stole the Leafs 1LW. They also added Foegele and Ryan and have some of the best F prospects challenging for spots in Holloway (probably guaranteed to play) and Benson (AHL leading scorer last year).

Their D & G remain question marks, but not sure how their forward group could be anything less than the best in Canada. They might add 1 more bottom line veteran for depth but its a huge overhaul already.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
The team that wins the series is the better team.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Why do some Leafs fans insist with coming up with a alternative past where the Leafs don't lose?

"If only Tavares didn't get hurt."
"Leafs didn't lose they chocked!" :facepalm:
"If only they won one OT game."

Get over it. None of these alternate past realities happened. The Habs were better. Live with it and move on.

BTW I'm not a Habs fan.

The better team doesn't always win my friend, sorry. Again, the Leafs choked.

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

They have the 2 best players in the league and just stole the Leafs 1LW. They also added Foegele and Ryan and have some of the best F prospects challenging for spots in Holloway (probably guaranteed to play) and Benson (AHL leading scorer last year).

Their D & G remain question marks, but not sure how their forward group could be anything less than the best in Canada. They might add 1 more bottom line veteran for depth but its a huge overhaul already.

I don't think Oilers stole him as it was simply the Leafs didn't want to pay a guy who is about to be on the wrong side of 30 and his body is already showing signs of breaking down.

I think both top 6s are pretty even now.

McDavid >> Marner
Draisaitl = Matthews
Tavares > RNH
Nylander > Hyman
Bunting = PJ
Ritchie = Yam

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

They have the 2 best players in the league and just stole the Leafs 1LW
Let's not pretend that Hyman is the equivalent to other left wingers like Panarin Marchand or Huberdeau. Nice player but not a real "1st liner" and not in the prime of his career..

Reactions: mouz135 and hn777

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
The Jets are arguably the most improved team, by kicking two/three of their worst players off the team (Poolman, Beaulieu & Forbort) and replacing them with extremely solid defencemen, yet somehow go down in the standings? :huh:

Ottawa I can see getting meaner, they're not the bottom feeder anymore. They were legit in the back half of the season.

Vancouver, I still see the same old team.

Edmonton, too suspect on defense to make noise.

My ranking:
Winnipeg
Toronto
Edmonton
Ottawa
Calgary
Montreal
Vancouver

That would be my top 4 ranking. I'd have Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal in that order on the bottom.

Assen na yo!

Hansem1979

Jun 25, 2021
That proves my point even more, the fact that even without Tavares we were still able to win 3 games shows how much better we are than the Habs.

The NYI are way better without Tavares than with him. He is a playoff choker like Marner and Matthews, if he is in, Montreal probably wins faster preying on his numerous weaknesses that don't show up on the score sheet.

NYI are really glad he is out....

Reactions: Canadiens Ghost

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I don't think Oilers stole him as it was simply the Leafs didn't want to pay a guy who is about to be on the wrong side of 30 and his body is already showing signs of breaking down.

I think both top 6s are pretty even now.

McDavid >> Marner
Draisaitl = Matthews
Tavares > RNH
Nylander > Hyman
Bunting = PJ
Ritchie = Yam

I don’t have that high of an opinion of Hyman but he went from Toronto’s 1LW to Edmonton’s 1LW. Whether that turns out to be a good use of cap space in the long run (spoiler: it won’t), doesn’t change the fact that one top 6 was upgraded at the expense of the other. Plus, the Oilers made strong additions to the middle 6 (especially Foegele) while the Leafs kind of treaded water. If we assume that Holloway isn’t an impact player next year (this may not be accurate), we should still account for the fact that Puljujarvi really came out of his shell at the end of the year and was the Oilers 4th best player (easily) in the playoffs.

Puljujarvi’s value around the league is definitely >>>>> Bunting. His performance this upcoming season will demonstrate that beyond a shadow of a doubt. Bunting showed a lot of promise with his 10G last year, but Puljujarvi has rapidly become a beast of a 2 way player.

Last edited:

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
The NYI are way better without Tavares than with him. He is a playoff choker like Marner and Matthews, if he is in, Montreal probably wins faster preying on his numerous weaknesses that don't show up on the score sheet.

NYI are really glad he is out....
Get a load of this guy

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

Marner and Matthews weren't so it's entirely possible Tavares wouldn't be either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad