Oct 17, 2010
McDavid >> Matthews
Draisaitl >> Marner
RNH < Tavares
Hyman < Nylander
Puljujarvi > Ritchie
Yamamoto = Bunting
Ok. And?

I still think the forward group is still basically equal.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Depth always gets so underrated here even though year after year it's shown how important it is.

Edmonton, Toronto and Winnipeg all have serious problems with their bottom 6 and D depth.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
The question was never whether they got outplayed or not - of course they did. The question was who was the better team and I'm saying it's the Leafs but they choked. Get it? Try to keep the goalposts where they were installed.

I think the Leafs are a very good team but have some serious flaws and after game 4 the Habs adapted their game plan to really exploit them, and succeeded.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
I’m a leaf fan, but I think Montreal is being a little underrated, probably because a lot of posters were sick of their fans during the run the finals (I’m aware of the irony coming from a leaf fan haha). I think there a lot of question marks around them, but they have potential (key word) to be solid. If Suzuki and Caufield take the next step, then that is a very deep forward group with some young game breaking talent, something they haven’t had in a long time. They also have potential to have the best goaltending tandem in the league, but it depends on what version of Price shows up. They may not have near the top end talent of Toronto or Edmonton, but they appear to have the deepest forward group and potentially the best goaltending. All that being said, I don’t look at any Canadian team as a serious contender unless proven otherwise

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Do people really think Calgary got all that worse?

Last year after they adjusted to the coaching change, they were a much improved team. They also added Coleman.

Is losing Giordano really going to put them behind Ottawa?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Toronto got worse
Montreal arguably got worse or stayed the same (depends if Savard can fill in for Weber and whether Price looks good after his surgery)
Calgary got worse
Edmonton arguably got worse (I think the Keith thing is lol)
Ottawa will improve
Vancouver will improve
Winnipeg stayed the same
how did winnipeg stay the same?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Improved teams:
Winnipeg
Vancouver
Ottawa

Stayed about the same:
Calgary/Montreal

Somewhat worse:
Toronto (lost Hyman and new players aren’t at that level)
Edmonton (downgraded D with loss of Larsson for Keith, improved forwards but no upgrade in net with soon to be 40 year old Smith as the starter and no decent backup)

Last edited:
Reactions: Vintage93

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
I literally said in my post that neither team deserves a pass lol.

But the injuries certainly did affect them. Still, Montreal could’ve easily won with both teams fully healthy. They caught lightning in a bottle during the playoffs, Price looked unbeatable, and they were playing damn good hockey.

I’m saying that looking forward to 2021-22 that with Tavares back for Toronto and Scheifele and DeMelo back for Winnipeg that both teams will probably have strong seasons.
Mtl would have beaten Winnipeg with/without Scheifele and even if MTL had Cayden Primeau in net.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
Do people really think Calgary got all that worse?

Last year after they adjusted to the coaching change, they were a much improved team. They also added Coleman.

Is losing Giordano really going to put them behind Ottawa?

With Sutter in charge I think Markstrom will bounce back this year too and they grabbed a backup with some nice upside from Boston.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
I think the Leafs are a very good team but have some serious flaws and after game 4 the Habs adapted their game plan to really exploit them, and succeeded.

Leafs had holes everywhere in their lineup and bad coaching and an unwillingness to adapt and mitigate their problems did them in. Leafs have even more holes to try and cover this year. 1st and 2nd line LW 3rd line centre if Kerfoot moves to wing. 3rd pairing. Will Mrazek be an upgrade? So many things have to go right for this team.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Montreal
Toronto
Winnipeg
Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
Ottawa

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Tavares was a huge loss, yeah, but Weber was playing on his last leg (litteraly), Price and Danault were coming back from a concussion and Gallagher's right hand was f***ed.

So yeah, cry me a river lol

Your team lost because it sucked, plain in simple. The Habs came to play, and the Leafs wasn't ready to do what's necessary to win.

Beating a team in 7 games hardly screams the other teams sucks.

Getting destroyed 4 games to 1 means the other team sucks worse by a wide margin.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Leafs had holes everywhere in their lineup and bad coaching and an unwillingness to adapt and mitigate their problems did them in. Leafs have even more holes to try and cover this year. 1st and 2nd line LW 3rd line centre if Kerfoot moves to wing. 3rd pairing. Will Mrazek be an upgrade? So many things have to go right for this team.
It’s funny how bad the ‘leafs depth sucks’ argument is. Let me guess, their defence is bad too?

Such an easy way to Tell us you haven’t watched the leafs

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Not even offended, but most of you are dead wrong about Calgary (sadly).

Many of us Flames fans wouldn't mind crashing for a year or two for a high 2022/2023 pick for some elite talent to push the roster over the edge, but we likely will spin on the hamsters wheel of mediocrity for a while longer with a bubble calibre team that hopes to out perform expectations.

Reactions: viper0220

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
people are underrating the canucks and overating the habs. habs lost their 2c and didnt replace it (kk js a downgrade idc what anyone says) lost their captain and best d man and some veteran pieces who were key to reaching the final.

canucks added a top 3 D man and a 1st-2nd line winger and hopefully have a full year of petterson

Best dman? When did we trade Petry??

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
It’s funny how bad the ‘leafs depth sucks’ argument is. Let me guess, their defence is bad too?

Such an easy way to Tell us you haven’t watched the leafs

You are right. I used to watch at least 60 Leafs games every year since the early 90s up until 2 years ago. They had the runs in 93 and 94 and then through the Sundin years they were a fringe contender that at least had an identity. Usually veteran teams that relied heavily on goaltending. When they drafted Reilly, Nylander, Marner and Matthews it was exciting. The day that Lou left was a red flag for me because I thought that he was there to sign the young guys to team friendly deals like he always did in New Jersey and he can point at the success he had there as proof of how a winning salary structure is put in place. We get Dubas. He loses every negotiation that he does and by the time the Leafs lost to Columbus I had enough. I barely watched them this year and then I watched them against Montreal and saw a slightly better defence because of Brodie and Bogo and forwards that don’t like dumping the puck in because they are afraid of a board battle. Making excuses for this team is pathetic.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I've very excited about Evan Bouchard. He's going to have his defensive miscues here and there next season (this is assuming he plays regularly, which he'd better!), but hot damn that kid can move the puck and fire the biscuit!

Of course, this then raises the question of why they needed to keep Tyson Barrie, but I guess two guys who can shoot from the point is better than one...

Hows his skating now?
I remember being concerned/not impressed about his agility and skating before he was drafted... does he look NHL-average caliber now? (or am i misremembering my prospects)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not even offended, but most of you are dead wrong about Calgary (sadly).

Many of us Flames fans wouldn't mind crashing for a year or two for a high 2022/2023 pick for some elite talent to push the roster over the edge, but we likely will spin on the hamsters wheel of mediocrity for a while longer with a bubble calibre team that hopes to out perform expectations.

FR.
I wish we were going to be as bad as people are projecting us to be :laugh: gives us that top 3 pick we've needed for 40 years.

In the real world, Calgary will likely finish behind Toronto in the standings, just because we find the worst years to be really good.

Reactions: Fig

The90

Feb 27, 2017
You are right. I used to watch at least 60 Leafs games every year since the early 90s up until 2 years ago. They had the runs in 93 and 94 and then through the Sundin years they were a fringe contender that at least had an identity. Usually veteran teams that relied heavily on goaltending. When they drafted Reilly, Nylander, Marner and Matthews it was exciting. The day that Lou left was a red flag for me because I thought that he was there to sign the young guys to team friendly deals like he always did in New Jersey and he can point at the success he had there as proof of how a winning salary structure is put in place. We get Dubas. He loses every negotiation that he does and by the time the Leafs lost to Columbus I had enough. I barely watched them this year and then I watched them against Montreal and saw a slightly better defence because of Brodie and Bogo and forwards that don’t like dumping the puck in because they are afraid of a board battle. Making excuses for this team is pathetic.
If you don’t watch them, you can’t give an accurate opinion on them 1 way or another.

I didn’t make an excuse? There aren’t any.

But depth wasn’t an issue for last years leafs.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Hard to decided with all the movement over 2 off-season's and teams going back to their original divisions.
Leafs are top 4 in their division. 1 Canadian team is going to make it in the pacific, the rest is a crapshoot.
edm has mcdavid/drasaitl but no d or g.
van has good forward depth, and goaltending but no d.
cal has good d, and goaltending but needs to find out how to play.
wpg now has col, an interesting minny team, reshuffled blues, and chicago/dallas.
ott is still rebuilding.
mtl has no weber, price coming off surgery, no danault/byron 2 of their better defensive forwards and solid pk players

Leafs
Edm/Van
Cal
Wpg
Ott/Mtl

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad